Options

Bringing new babies into work

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't bother me at all. Nine times out of ten the new mother heads for other ladies in the workplace and leaves me in peace. On the rare occasion I have been introduced to the new bundle of joy, I always stop and have a chat.

Some people at my workplace are so uncomfortable around babies, that they break out into a cold sweat at the thought of the mother coming to them. I am not one of those people luckily. :)
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckily for me when the woman brings in the latest ball of crying/crapping i have a locked server room where if needed i'll pull up a few floor tiles and mention trip hazard and ban them from entering so they can go into the other rooms where they can be oochy coochied or if i get cornered just leg it into the gents and stay there till the all clear is sounded with probably half the male workforce
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got strong feelings on this? A colleague was in with hers this morning and insisted on bringing the baby all around the place, knocking on doors of people she isn't even that friendly with and hanging around for ages. Most people bring the baby up to the canteen and anyone who's interested/not under pressure workwise drops up to admire and goo and gah etc. Personally I think that works much better.

No, not at all. It's what women have always done, and probably always will.

I mean, it's not like they stay all that long.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miserable people tend not to like seeing nice things happen to others.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »

I'm happy for them but the workplace aint the best place to bring a baby with a limited immune system if you think about it when possibly loads of people with who knows what colds/bugs etc all deliberately breathing those bugs out while fussing the child

best to wait till its 14-15 and then bring it in for work experience as at least it can make a brew by then :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    I'm happy for them but the workplace aint the best place to bring a baby with a limited immune system if you think about it when possibly loads of people with who knows what colds/bugs etc all deliberately breathing those bugs out while fussing the child

Gosh yes. It's a wonder they get in and out the supermarket in one piece it must be like running the gauntlet! And god help them if they have a sibling in nursery :eek:

Keep them in solitary under lock and key I say.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad that the newspaper office I worked in was full of lovely people who asked me when I was going to bring James in to see them. Then again, I'd worked for the same company for almost 17 years and with some of the people in the office for most of that time and we stayed for about 20 minutes.
    Then about three years later when I happened to be in Skipton with my son, we nipped into the office to say hello to my old boss and stayed about 10 mins.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This.

Leave your snotbags at home with your cats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am not comfortable around children and babies, and I stay well away when anyone brings one in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    You're rght about that. I took my new baby to see a relative in a nursing home and before I knew it, all the old ladies were gathered round, smiling and wanting to hold her. It brought them all alive.

My gran loves babies. A neighbour had a baby girl a few years ago and brought her round for my nan to see. My nan loved it. She has always loved babies and still does at 92. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    This.

Leave your snotbags at home with your cats.

They're outnumbered. For every miserable old shite there's always five happy ones who like babies. So bring them in I reckon.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're outnumbered. For every miserable old shite there's always five happy ones who like babies. So bring them in I reckon.

Good. Do it. I'm brewing up a cold anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    The people who moan about babies being brought into work are usually the same people who flash their latest iPhone around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    So glad that the newspaper office I worked in was full of lovely people who asked me when I was going to bring James in to see them. Then again, I'd worked for the same company for almost 17 years and with some of the people in the office for most of that time and we stayed for about 20 minutes.
    Then about three years later when I happened to be in Skipton with my son, we nipped into the office to say hello to my old boss and stayed about 10 mins.

My mum said her office loved it when she brought me in to show them in the early '80s. I honestly think those who get so bent out of shape about it are in a tiny minority.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I didn't. I was quite happy to see the baby. I just wouldn't have gone wandering around knocking on doors of people I didn't know that well and who might have been up to their eyes.

Wow, you're sour.

I can't be the only person whose Irony Alarm is going off at this one, can I? :o
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like nice things but I don't do other peoples babies and certainly not in a highly sterile workplace in my case.

They can do what they want but don't include me as I have no interest in seeing the latest result of a five minute knee trembler behind the bins in Rutland Square.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like nice things but I don't do other peoples babies and certainly not in a highly sterile workplace in my case.

They can do what they want but don't include me as I have no interest in seeing the latest result of a five minute knee trembler behind the bins in Rutland Square.:D

You work in a disinfected brothel?
  • Options
    BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Awww...you must be the proud Papa! Congrats!

Don't be ashamed of the 5 minute thing.

It happens to the best of men.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »

Maybe they asked so they knew when to take leave :confused::o:D
    Zora wrote: »
    My gran loves babies. A neighbour had a baby girl a few years ago and brought her round for my nan to see. My nan loved it. She has always loved babies and still does at 92. :D

Wait until she's 93 :( It all changes then.
    The people who moan about babies being brought into work are usually the same people who flash their latest iPhone around.

Not getting the correlation :confused: You could amalgamate this though and show pictures of your baby on your iPhone :cool: That would work.
    Zora wrote: »
    My mum said her office loved it when she brought me in to show them in the early '80s. I honestly think those who get so bent out of shape about it are in a tiny minority.

Well she's hardly going to tell you they all screamed when they saw you :eek:;)
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they asked so they knew when to take leave :confused::o:D

No they were all there ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You work in a disinfected brothel?

No currently doing a shift in the high dependency unit, us very busy nurses have no time for sex let alone brats.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww...you must be the proud Papa! Congrats!

Don't be ashamed of the 5 minute thing.

It happens to the best of men.

Be it making war or love you lot tend to do it quickly, messy and shoot your load no matter what the after effects are going to be.:D

I'm happy I'm a Jaffa are you?
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be honest it's harder to get hold of an iphone than opening your legs!

Babies aren't cute either, most are ugly little things but you have to tell a little white lie to the parents out of politeness.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    What a miserable office you must work in unless its a workplace full of dangerous equipment/machinery!

I see nothing wrong with it, someone goes off to have a baby, they bring the baby in to show it off. Seems perfectly reasonable to me and cant see how anyone can have such a negative opinion of it! Its a tradition and long may it continue! If they stay longer than is reasonable and start to have a detrimental affect on production then fair enough, but a quick half hour visit to see everyone is harmless!

Is it?

I know many people who say the practice is banned in their offices too.

As I said, babies were allowed into the office foyer. If you wanted to go and coo over it, you had to leave your desk and go downstairs, out through the security barriers, and in your own time too.

It's an office, not a creche.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No currently doing a shift in the high dependency unit, us very busy nurses have no time for sex let alone brats.:D

You should probably get back to work then :)