Options

Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Cortana working fine on the test machines i have and in two VMs all now using the 10041 uk build.
    The non-vm ones would not update to this build either, but my vm one on the previous build did.

Really liking the insider programme, so much good discussion and really interesting to see what people are finding or asking. Its even telling me know how great I have been in giving feedback and running the modules, unless I missed that before. Sent plenty of positive and constructive feedback myself.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10041 seems like a mixed bag; Firefox now crashes way more frequently, Windows media player used to be solid, now its crash central. The videos application isn't worth bothering with (yet).
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    ...Still can't get my old P4 machine to update to 10041. :(
    I am actually surprised 9926 is allowed to be installed and run on a P4 machine. I would of thought putting a limitation on old types of processors would save MS a whole load of future support issues. Much more cleaner to have compatability for more recent specified generations of processors only onwards.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait for WIndows 10 :D:D A summer release now?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for WIndows 10 :D:D A summer release now?
    I'm going to wait until I'm sure most of the bugs have been ironed out.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I am actually surprised 9926 is allowed to be installed and run on a P4 machine. I would of thought putting a limitation on old types of processors would save MS a whole load of future support issues. Much more cleaner to have compatability for more recent specified generations of processors only onwards.

Well Pentium 4 covers a very wide range of CPUs.
    Mine is a socket 775 Pentium 4 650 Prescott 3.4GHz 64bit from 2005 with HT and supports the NX bit feature (enabled in BIOS), so no real reason why it shouldn't work.
    The motherboard only supports 2 GB of RAM, but as I said earlier, build 9926 actually runs smoother than Windows 7 on the same machine (and seems to use less RAM).

Having said that, Microsoft dropped support for socket 478 CPUs half way through the testing of Windows 8. The earlier previews worked fine, but the later ones refused to install due to the NX bit issue. So that was an arbitrary cut-off.
    So they might have found some other excuse to drop this machine. Something in the chipset, or the onboard sound perhaps?
    Interestingly although it's a 64bit CPU, only the 32bit version of build 9926 would install.

I've tried the advice of unplugging all USB devices and disabling all non-Microsoft services and Start-up items, but it doesn't make any difference. It seems to go through the preparing to install routine in Windows Update then reboots, but then just takes you back to the 9926 desktop, with the message that it couldn't complete the upgrade.
    Tried numerous times, and have downloaded the update twice.

Beginning to think it might be because I'm dual booting with Windows 7, and Win7 is the default OS. Perhaps it needs total control of the bootloader to install? Although there's no advice to that effect to be found googling.

I'm reluctant to make the Technical Preview the default because that would mean the choosing screen occurs later in the boot process, and when I tried to clean install from the 10041 ISO it restarted to a BSOD (multiple times) before it got to the choosing screen, so I was unable to get into Windows 7 either.
    I had to clean install 9926 again before I was able to get back into Windows 7.

Think the best thing is to leave it on 9926 and hope the next build will install easier.
    If not; give up on updating Windows 7 on that machine to 10, when it's finally released.

Be handy if they gave out more information on these problems though. :(
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd wait til next year as they'll still be bugs on final release.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll get Windows 10 about a year after it's been released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Just under the year hopefully, as they're only guaranteeing it's going to be free for the first year after release.
    Although opinion is that they're likely to extend that.

If they're going to push the upgrade through Windows Update you might get continually nagged to upgrade, unless there was the option to hide it.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good idea, like 2 years the way it is going.,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Best to get it in the first year if you want the free one, I presume you can store it until you are ready to use it.,
  • Options
    smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just installed the preview. It seems to be a better layout. First gripe is that my touchpad is slow, even on the fastest setting. Think I am now using ms default and not dells. Also I cant load the store, I want to browse the handful of apps that are on there:D I did uninstall one app that uninstalled the calendar as well:(:(

Liking the upgrade of xbox smartglass as well, just a better layout:)
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which Preview Build did you install?

You can find Store and Store (Beta) from Start > All Apps. Scroll through with mouse-wheel.
    Not sure with trackpad. Reinstall Dell's driver anyway if it is slow.

(Edit: Tab key and cursor keys work to navigate Start Menu/Screen. Not sure if that is the approved way, I always use a mouse, even with laptops)

Store (Beta) is broken for lots of people (possibly everyone?)

See Insider Program for all the latest. Anyone can sign-up (Participate) to search for problems, create threads, post replies etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just noticed that there is the store beta, which was installed and stuck on the start screen, and the normal store is under all apps. Nice to see them prioritise the broken one:D I downloaded the x64, is that better than x86? The download for x86 said 32bit on the file name.

I am away to try and reinstall the dell touchpad, it not only is slow but I am having to be more precise when clicking, its taking 2 clicks to do anything, its more down to me having my hand on the right all the time. Next laptop I get I will want the touchpad to the right and not the middle. I find it awkward as it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I tried reinstalling the touchpad driver and is says I have a newer install from synatech. So I uninstalled that from my programs and tried to install it again but it still says I have a newer program installed.

Also I looked through all my apps and uninstalled a fair few, but they have reinstalled themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got a big update, upto build 10061. I notice I have project Spartan and transparent background when I got into windows 10 and I can see desktop in background. Will need to play some more:)

Also the beta store is now open for me, yet again a better layout than before. Also all my main apps, Hotmail, calendar, money etc have all had a facelift.

I did go into settings, windows update, then changed windows updates, advanced options, from slow to fast. Why would it be hidden and auto set to slow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smcbeath wrote: »
    I just got a big update, upto build 10061. I notice I have project Spartan and transparent background when I got into windows 10 and I can see desktop in background. Will need to play some more:)

Also the beta store is now open for me, yet again a better layout than before. Also all my main apps, Hotmail, calendar, money etc have all had a facelift.

I did go into settings, windows update, then changed windows updates, advanced options, from slow to fast. Why would it be hidden and auto set to slow.

It's set to "Slow" by default so you only get the 'stable' builds. The ones issued to the Fast ring are more likely to be buggy.

I'm finding 10061 very buggy. The modern apps (including the Start menu and Settings app) sometimes work and sometimes don't. Same with Cortana.
    Also a lot of the text and symbols seem to be messed up or overlayed on top of each other. :(

They're certainly not going the right way to persuade me to upgrade my machines any time soon.
    I just hope the later previews become more stable.

Ironically build 9926 was rock solid on the two PCs I tried it on, so they are going backwards. :(

I do quite like the Spartan browser though......when it deigns to work. :D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smcbeath wrote: »

Probably a feature to help people on slow connections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spartan is now called Edge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Spartan is now called Edge.

Also in build 10074 they are trying out an aeroglass-like translucent look for the menu and taskbar, for half the people who download it.
    The other half (including me) get the same slightly transparent look as before.
    I suppose they are trying to find out if it's popular?

Build 10074 does seem a bit more stable than 10061 though. :cool:
    It's also available as an ISO.

Oh, and it's no longer called a "Technical Preview". It's 'progressed' to Insider Preview. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also in build 10074 they are trying out an aeroglass-like translucent look for the menu and taskbar, for half the people who download it.
    The other half (including me) get the same slightly transparent look as before.
    I suppose they are trying to find out if it's popular?

Build 10074 does seem a bit more stable than 10061 though. :cool:
    It's also available as an ISO.

Oh, and it's no longer called a "Technical Preview". It's 'progressed' to Insider Preview. :D

Aero glass will look silly on the flat UI, I have taken Windows 10 off my computer all together now. I have come to the conclusion that I will never like it, due to that stupid menu having tiles on, so I am not even bothering to test it any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Aero glass will look silly on the flat UI, I have taken Windows 10 off my computer all together now. I have come to the conclusion that I will never like it, due to that stupid menu having tiles on, so I am not even bothering to test it any more.

It's actually more Aero blur than a glassy effect. As explained in the video in this article.
    http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-build-10074-upcoming-insider-preview

At the moment you can only turn it on and off through the registry, as the personalization options are in flux between the old Control Panel and the new Settings app, and some of them seem to have got lost in transit. :D
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Windows 10 is finally released, will we have the option to do a totally clean install, effectively remove everything and reinstall? Or will it only be an update that keeps all of your data intact.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually more Aero blur than a glassy effect. As explained in the video in this article.
    http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-build-10074-upcoming-insider-preview

At the moment you can only turn it on and off through the registry, as the personalization options are in flux between the old Control Panel and the new Settings app, and some of them seem to have got lost in transit. :D

Thanks for the video, Not much new to be honest, if MS done the option for the start menu to be text only and not tiles I may be more interested, but I hated the tiles on windows 8, so having them on windows 10 in a menu system is worse.
    I suppose some of the third party menus will work with ten.

My main gripe with windows ten, ok my two main gripes are too much integration, with cortana, their sky drive and also with Skype. I use Skype, but I have my own username, which is separate and the problem with skype on windows 10 is that you need to use a MS account,

The second one is their apps, they are awful and it takes time to get rid of them and to stop files from calling them up. Like say MP3 calling up the music player app, instead of windows media player.

The other thing that worries me, is the lost of the control panel, will they get rid of that for their silly setting menu or will it stay? Ok Worry is a bit strong.

TBH, I was not a fan of windows 8, but I now got it working as I want it to work apart from my intermittent problem with it disconnecting from my network, but that happens in windows 10 as well, so changing to windows 10 will muck it up and I got a image of my computer as it stands if it goes belly up then I can just put the image back on. Not sure if I can be bothered any more with mucking about with operating systems,

Mint is rock steady, which is what I am starting to use more than windows. windows is only for some software like Vegas these days.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic Shell Free works fine with W10.

But, yes, tinkering is time consuming and you don't like other bits.
    I don't either but not sufficiently to stick with W7. (I don't have any physical W8/8.1 machines)
    When Windows 10 is finally released, will we have the option to do a totally clean install, effectively remove everything and reinstall? Or will it only be an update that keeps all of your data intact.?

Probably both will be OK. Full backup/Image first is always recommended.