Options

Convince me that I should vote in a very safe (Labour) seat

2»

Comments

• Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    Because the smaller the percentage vote achieved by the big parties, the greater the pressure to change the system.
    ^^^ This +1. Even spoiling a ballot paper and calling for proportional representation or writing 'none of the above' would be better than not voting at all.
    Agree with these.

I live in a Labour/Tory marginal, so I am one of the sainted few who actually gets to choose the government. However, I will not be voting for either party, because I regard both as equally vile. As I don't find any of the other candidates even remotely inspiring, I'll be spoiling my ballot with a demand for PR.

Reducing the vote share of the Labour/Conservative filth isn't much, but it's better than nothing.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's a very arrogant statement.

and I think you're being very judgemental.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    and I think you're being very judgemental.

Gosh how original of you.

Don't you think it's arrogant to assume that Labour voters aren't sensible people. Tories certainly don't have the monopoly on good sense and it's insulting to suggest that those who don't share your views are somehow lacking in intelligence.
  • Options
    spikejspikej Posts: 3,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    In previous elections I was voting in Warwick and Leamington, a marginal seat where I felt my vote mattered. This time now I'm down in Stratford Upon Avon a very safe Tory seat I am wondering if my vote does matter.

Stranger things have happened, but if you don't want to go down the Tory route then Lib Dems is the only real option in Stratford.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gosh how original of you.

Don't you think it's arrogant to assume that Labour voters aren't sensible people. Tories certainly don't have the monopoly on good sense and it's insulting to suggest that those who don't share your views are somehow lacking in intelligence.

I never mentioned anything about intelligence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No you didn't did you?
    You just posted an anti Labour statement and hoped one or two people would look at it and say 'Oh Sulla must know what he's talking about, he's made over 100,000 posts....except 99,000 of them say 'Well done Dave, good job George'.....autobot...
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in a similar position, I am in safe Tory seat but as a single bloke in my 30s no party, is really interested in my vote, so not like there is anyone I could feel good about voting for.

So for me, I just vote for whichever candidate is a) not part of a political party, and b) does not come over as racist.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Splitting hairs. You talked about 'sensible'. Please elaborate on how labour voters lack good sense?
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    In a similar thread one poster made a valid point that your vote might be the difference between someone keeping or losing their deposit in one of the minor parties in the seat.

So vote any way you want for one of the minor candidates, you might be doing them a big favour.
    So do Vote but make your choice based on anything random you like - who has the weirdest name - best smile - nicest bum - choose your own criteria.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not hard to go to a place and vote, it's a right billions of people throughout the World have been denied, it's lazy and boring not to do so. Probably takes less effort than starting this thread.

Don't care who you vote for, but vote.

Oh and the suffragette comment seems utterly stupid to me, but hey it's your democratic right to have that opinion.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Why should I make the effort to vote when Labour ALWAYS win in my constituency?

And don't give me this 'people died to give you the vote'. People fought in world wars because they were conscripted and didn't want to the Germans to invade Britain or they joined up out of patriotism.

And don't give me the Suffragettes - they were a bunch of posh birds who didn't want working class men voting.

There is no need for you to vote, but if the majority took the same action - turnout would collapse and the rival party could get in. My constituency is 75% Labour, but only 59% of total voters bother.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not hard to go to a place and vote, it's a right billions of people throughout the World have been denied, it's lazy and boring not to do so. Probably takes less effort than starting this thread.

Don't care who you vote for, but vote.

Oh and the suffragette comment seems utterly stupid to me, but hey it's your democratic right to have that opinion.

I had to postal vote this year, I am working morning to evening on Thursday, many people commute long journeys to work, some are working away from home, lots of people are in hospital, care homes.

Some countries like Australia have mandatory voting - evasion is punishable by a small fine. As a result turnout is around 94% of registered voters (10% are unregistered, similar to the UK). Maybe some of the 6% were unable to get to vote on the one day. Spreading out voting for 48 hours - seems a common sense solution.
  • Options
    MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Why should I make the effort to vote when Labour ALWAYS win in my constituency?

And don't give me this 'people died to give you the vote'. People fought in world wars because they were conscripted and didn't want to the Germans to invade Britain or they joined up out of patriotism.

And don't give me the Suffragettes - they were a bunch of posh birds who didn't want working class men voting.

I'm in the same position, but I'll be voting to try and help another party increase their 'second place' position in the hope that eventually they will be in a position to challenge Labour. It will likely take multiple elections, but it might happen.

Something else to keep an eye on would be the odd boundary review which comes around every now and then as these will often allow submissions from the public as well as the political parties. That's particularly of interest to me as my constituency is currently part of Stoke-on-Trent and part of neighbouring Newcastle-under-Lyme, but there have been proposals in the past to combine our part of Stoke-on-Trent with the adjoining semi-urban parts of Staffordshire Moorlands which would create a more Lab-Con marginal seat, although both parties have tended to protest against this as they prefer their current safe-seat fiefdoms.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,046
    Forum Member
    Because if it is a Hung Parliament with the Tories as the largest party then the popular numbers need/should be taken into consideration too. The Tories and their media buddies will make out that if the Tories are the largest party in seats even by 10 seats, that they should be allowed to cary on in Government even if they can't form a majority with other parties and they will say Labour will be illegitimate if they can form a majority in the seats.

That would be a hogwash argment by the Tories and their supporters and if the popular numbers show that yet again, that more people have voted for centre left parties than right wing parties, then it will/should give Labour all the legitimacy they need unless Labour are stupid enough not to point it out.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    Because the smaller the percentage vote achieved by the big parties, the greater the pressure to change the system.

There can be no change to the system thats not going to make it worse. Green voters and UKIP voters are voting for opposites - that can't be met by either main party. If you reflect both their votes in seats , you end up with total deadlock, or a coalition kowtowing to a small minority.

Voting UKIP or Green does add to avote count , and that does , put pressure on both parties to do something about meeting those people's achievable aims. They lose votes and see issues that might bring them. Hence immigration rising as an issue, and green politics being given as much importance as it deserves. If you allowed people who wanted to have no immigration, or unlimited immigration and zero growth, into a role in power, no one could govern - and more people would be more upset by the result.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you try vote swapping?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in a very safe Tory seat but I'm voting UKIP as I feel strongly that everyone should vote.

I appreciate that it's not all bad where I live and the Torys getting in is definitely not the worst thing in the world
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because the more people who vote for the opposition parties, the more their policies will be taken seriously by the party that actually wins.

This has been demonstrated many times by parties such as the BNP, UKIP and the Greens. None have a chance of winning in most constituencies, but the amount of votes they get nationwide can affect the future policies of the mainstream parties
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I can understand the OP feelings and suffer the same situation in a Tory safe seat.

However I will still be out voting on Thursday I will encourage all my family out even though going by a poll in my house we all seem to cancel each other out.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If every non Labour voter thought the same as OP then it becomes an even safer Labour seat.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safe seats and voter apathy breeds complacency in politicians. Even if your vote doesn't result in your preferred candidate winning anything that minimises the safety of that seat for the incumbent will make them have to sit up and take notice for next time around.

No such thing as a wasted vote
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every vote counts, don't let anyone let you believe your vote is worthless.

A safe Labour seat you say?