Options

What do the People of the United Kingdom want with a Scottish exit?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    But you will be more tied to the EU. You have nothing much to bargain with. So you will have to have a close relationship with Brussels along with the Euro. This means not having full control over Scotland, and you will face austerity.

You will also not have hardly any influence in the EU.

Better control than we do now
    Westminster decide for us currently, we'll decide for ourselves. A nation of poets, inventers, writers, sportsmen, and people think we cant make up our own minds on whats best for the country
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better control than we do now
    Westminster decide for us currently, we'll decide for ourselves. A nation of poets, inventers, writers, sportsmen, and people think we cant make up our own minds on whats best for the country

I don't think Westminster is perfect. But you've recently had two Scottish prime minsters!

The only think I can conclude is this is all about Scottish nationalism whilst scapegoating the English for all their perceived ills.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    It does concern you then! Well, you might not care, but it will affect you as a UK citizen.

We don't have a vote so its out of our hands, Que Sera
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    So?

Scotland will be a foreign country, instead of working in the United Kingdom they will be competing with the UK for Jobs and economic growth.

I think you'll find that this is already the case. It has been for quite some time, more so since the Scottish Executive was formed.

This Amazon distribution centre was originally ear-marked for being setup south of the Border. Scottish Enterprise offered them 2m pounds in grants to consider setting up in Scotland instead.

There was no offer of financial support south of the border because England doesn't have a similar organisation in place to promote business growth. So there was no competition. The plans were changed and the business was moved north of the border.

So in the event of independence, perhaps it would be wise to negotiate calmly with an already powerful state who can give business grants despite not having access to all of its revenue. A state who doesn't have to use all of its revenue right now might in the future, as an independent state, realise it could afford to lower corporate taxes to encourage international business to have their new bases in Scotland rather than England.

So perhaps less thinking with the bruised ego and appropriate grovelling might me in order in the event of a yes vote. Or even a No vote, should Westminster live up to its promises.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want there to be strict border control and the Scots to have different passports as soon as they are independent.

We also need to stop the Scots working in the rUK without a valid visa.

It won't happen though, our politicians are spineless. :(
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    I want there to be strict border control and the Scots to have different passports as soon as they are independent.

This^ If they leave (which they won't) they should be separated properly. They should be treated as a foreign nation. I've always seen them as such anyway :D
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Scotland join the Schengen countries then Gretna Green will become the new Calais so yes, a great big wall please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think Westminster is perfect. But you've recently had two Scottish prime minsters!

The only think I can conclude is this is all about Scottish nationalism whilst scapegoating the English for all their perceived ills.

I don't think so... don't take it personally, which Ive said a million times on here
    I like Westminster and I like Europe.. but which is best ... theres only one way to find out!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

What about the 8% of English who live here?
    I certainly wouldn't want them to leave and nor do they
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member

It can't happen if both countries are in the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't happen if both countries are in the EU.

Scotland won't be in the EU though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the 8% of English who live here?
    I certainly wouldn't want them to leave and nor do they

You can let them stay if you want, it'll be your country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can let them stay if you want, it'll be your country.

Smashing... send some more up, but only the nice ones :)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People of Scotland would never for vote for that, its unneccessary

If Scotland was permitted to join the EU in say 10 years ( thats the minimum time it would take if no other country Vetoed them which we know of at least two that will ) and joined Schengen there would have to be a border as we do not belong to Schengen, and depending on Scotland's immigration policy before that we may have to look at putting border controls in place to prevent people entering the UK who should not.
    contrarian wrote: »
    " I noticed a triumphant Alex Salmond already basking in Glory "

that will be your opinion of course ;-)

It is an opinion many form due to his behaviour which is like he has already won, if he doesnt want people to form that opinion maybe he should not act the way he does, in fact it could damage his Yes vote , remember Neil Kinnocks pre victory style party ?

As for the BoE he has no right to make any demands unless he signs a currency agreeement post independence.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Scotland won't be in the EU though.

We don't know that.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The UK was built on the idea of 'what england wants england gets'
    why don't we all just build a kingdom and leave the english out of it, that would be great

Says someone in the cling-on state of Northern Ireland. Please, just go.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't know that.

We pretty much do, Spain and Belgium will Veto due to their own sepratrist issues and even if they did not ( which would be a minor miracle) it would take a minimum of 10 years for Scotland to become a member.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know that.

They may join, but it will take a while.

They will have to start using the Euro too, which Salmond doesn't seem to like anymore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so... don't take it personally, which Ive said a million times on here
    I like Westminster and I like Europe.. but which is best ... theres only one way to find out!!

Good grief! You are going to take a gamble on your children's lives?
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    Really?

The Acts of Union were two Acts of Parliament: the Union with Scotland Act 1706 passed by the Parliament of England, and the Union with England Act passed in 1707 by the Parliament of Scotland. They put into effect the terms of the Treaty of Union that had been agreed on 22 July 1706, following negotiation between commissioners representing the parliaments of the two countries. The Acts joined the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland (previously separate states with separate legislatures, but with the same monarch) into a single, united kingdom named "Great Britain".[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707

I was referring to Ireland and what became Northern Ireland in the 20's, many areas of the region had no time for the British and yet they were forced to be a part of the United Kingdom and were treated like inferior people for not worshiping a foreign king
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Highking,

There were Unionists unhappy in the Free State-what is now the ROI as well.

You can't make everyone happy all the time.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Says someone in the cling-on state of Northern Ireland. Please, just go.

No intention of it!:D
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Highking,

There were Unionists unhappy in the Free State-what is now the ROI as well.

You can't make everyone happy all the time.

yes that is a weird scenario though, there identity was completely built on politics and their descendants would be known as "the free stater" or "anglo irish".
    It would have been worse for them as they couldn't have called themselves British as most people claim that British is a political term whereas people in N.Ireland can call themselves Irish due to living on the island which politics can't change.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It isn't about an anti English thing for you individually, but there's no denying that anti English sentiments are alive and well in this whole situation from others. It's not surprising that some people are going to take it personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good grief! You are going to take a gamble on your children's lives?

No, that's why Im voting yes