Options

Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If nobody's mentioned it already, I will point out that the new website is much better
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary King for Emma B this Sunday Afternoon on Smooth London.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The websites server is slow too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    I have come to the conclusion that the ex-Gold local adverts are the only lively exciting thing on Snooze. The music, jingles and presenters are boring by comparison. Oh and that woman on the jingles is so patronising makes you want to throw up.

Stop listening then. Unless one of your hobbies is bitching and making ill-informed comments about radio stations you don't like to get a reaction.

Oh, hang on... ;-)
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Again i make my point "Global don't understand the mature listener" They seem to be doing pretty good with Gold who in London had a bigger audience at breakfast than Bates even though its on AM! Classic FM also seems to be doing well last time i looked as well, funny enough so does LBC as well.

Yes Gold had a bigger audience that Smooth so Global screwed up the station. As Caroline have made it clear they want an AM licence i can see a deal being struck soon and Gold becoming Caroline as an enthusiasts station
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Gold had a bigger audience that Smooth so Global screwed up the station. As Caroline have made it clear they want an AM licence i can see a deal being struck soon and Gold becoming Caroline as an enthusiasts station

I don't think Global are going to sell 1548AM to anyone, the last thing they want is more competition in the capital even if it is on AM. It's the same reason that they haven't offloaded 1152AM.

They will probably use 1548AM for a simulcast of their new Digital 1 station.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the definition?
    From the radiotoday rajar pages
    Smooth London had 441k listeners but lower hours and 1.1% share
    Gold London had 274k listeners, higher hours and 1.3% share
    It's possible Smooth had a larger breakfast audience?

Caroline would not be able to afford the full running costs of the Gold 97kw Saffron Walden site and may get an affordable lower power AM licence and frequency later this year for use on the new Ross Revenge mast?
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caroline on FM in London would be interesting, it would get a small audience like the old Smooth did and have to go the way of all niche stations or die, and break a few hearts in the process. Unless it could find a sentimental very deep pocketed angel to fund it.

I liked the early 80s incarnation of the station and would listen if it came back like that, but I would still mix it with Smooth, 4, and LBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    Caroline on FM in London would be interesting, it would get a small audience like the old Smooth did and have to go the way of all niche stations or die, and break a few hearts in the process. Unless it could find a sentimental very deep pocketed angel to fund it.

I liked the early 80s incarnation of the station and would listen if it came back like that, but I would still mix it with Smooth, 4, and LBC.

Caroline are looking at AM not FM. They have the studios up and running in Strood already. It can run a very little cost depending on the consortium and individuals contracts. Nothing stopping Tony Blackburn doing a show on there, or Roger Day. I think the idea of pirate DJ's doing single weekly shows would be very popular. Sponsorship would be enough to cover costs. Pirate Radio Essex proved the audience was there.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pirate Radio Essex proved the audience was there.

You have audience figures for Pirate Radio Essex??
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,384
    Forum Member
    Cut6 wrote: »
    Stop listening then. Unless one of your hobbies is bitching and making ill-informed comments about radio stations you don't like to get a reaction.

Oh, hang on... ;-)

Just stating a fact which is pretty obvious if you listen. I can only post from what I hear.
    Even an easy listening station does not have to be as laid back as this. It needs something to help you keep awake. I wouldn't suggest anyone driving should listen late at night.
  • Options
    MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, hang on... ;-)

Don't you just love a well reasoned argument it debate....not for our friend Cut6

If you don't agree you're bitchy, ill informed and go somewhere else.

How rude and immature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mall wrote: »
    Don't you just love a well reasoned argument it debate....not for our friend Cut6

How rude and immature.

You feel Amaras comments are mature and polite?
  • Options
    Forum Member

How rude and immature.

If my posts are "rude and immature" perhaps you can justify your totally unfounded personal attack on Tony Dibbin?

There are a lot of good points made on DS but the likes of you and Amara are dragging the debate down to a puerile level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingethink wrote: »
    You have audience figures for Pirate Radio Essex??

Not in my back pocket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caroline are looking at AM not FM.

Yes we know that. But an adult rock station on FM competing against the stations you don't like is what would be interesting!

They have the studios up and running in Strood already. It can run a very little cost depending on the consortium and individuals contracts.

Premises and broadcast costs would be the least of their expenses

Nothing stopping Tony Blackburn doing a show on there.

.....except his well known preference for soul

Pirate Radio Essex proved the audience was there.

I seriously doubt a legit licence holding Caroline would survive in the London market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my posts are "rude and immature" perhaps you can justify your totally unfounded personal attack on Tony Dibbin?

There are a lot of good points made on DS but the likes of you and Amara are dragging the debate down to a puerile level.

There you go again - if the opinion expressed doesn't agree with you then simply rubbish it rather than putting up a counter argument. The so called "personal attack on Tony Dibbin" was nothing of the sort, merely a view with which you disagreed.

I fully accept that those if us who disagree with Global's policy in first wrecking the heritage stations and now Gold and Smooth have clearly "lost" the argument in that said policy has been implemented, but them listening, or any type of customer service was obviously never on their agenda. Again corporate rudeness of the first order. Therefore the apologists for Global on here were never going to be any different.

However, we will continue to put the counter point of view in a calm and mature way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, we will continue to put the counter point of view in a calm and mature way.

Ok calmly and maturely, if you as an individual or a group of like minds bought a failing and financially ruinous business ... Any business, and you had a vision of a different direction, would you move the product in that direction or not?

Corporations are just collections of people.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even an easy listening station does not have to be as laid back as this. It needs something to help you keep awake. I wouldn't suggest anyone driving should listen late at night.

What about Magic London? They're more laid back than Smooth at night, with Mellow Magic - and it's the most listened to music station overnight! Average listeners must love the relaxing music and minimum talk format.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gsfxO94elTA/UvKyIxXmgZI/AAAAAAAABXM/aMbS3To09rM/s1600/London+Weekdays+Q413.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There you go again - if the opinion expressed doesn't agree with you then simply rubbish it rather than putting up a counter argument.

Can you quote a specific example to back up this statement please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There you go.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in my back pocket.

But can you find them and post them on this thread? Or do you have no idea what audience Pirate Radio Essex attracted, because it wasn't even surveyed in Rajar?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have come to the conclusion that the ex-Gold local adverts are the only lively exciting thing on Snooze. The music, jingles and presenters are boring by comparison. Oh and that woman on the jingles is so patronising makes you want to throw up.

My response would still be to tell Amara to stop listening as he/she clearly doesn't like Smooth. Amara doesn't offer anything to back up his/her opinions so it's difficult to come up with a "counter argument".

But for your benefit Mall (and for you Amara) here it is...

1. The adverts may, in your opinion be the most "exciting" thing on Smooth but that's hardly surprising when it's branded as "your relaxing music mix". The station's called Smooth by the way, not Snooze.

2. The music, jingles and presenters may be "boring" in your opinion but again, Smooth isn't meant to be exciting.

3. It's your opinion that the woman on the jingles is "patronising". I disagree. I'm sure if lots of listeners felt the same way Smooth would change the voice.

4. If you want to throw up I'm not stopping you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    Corporations are just collections of people.

Of course they are.

However politeness costs nothing, and the Facebook pages of both Smooth and Gold both show what a total PR disaster this has been, but then listening to the listeners, or customers, has clearly never been in the Global vocabulary, let alone on their agenda.

There used to be a saying : "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT".

And before you rush to hurl the word cliche in my direction, I should point out that such phrases only became cliches because of their being true in the first place.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,384
    Forum Member
    My response would still be to tell Amara to stop listening as he/she clearly doesn't like Smooth. Amara doesn't offer anything to back up his/her opinions so it's difficult to come up with a "counter argument".

But for your benefit Mall (and for you Amara) here it is...

1. The adverts may, in your opinion be the most "exciting" thing on Smooth but that's hardly surprising when it's branded as "your relaxing music mix". The station's called Smooth by the way, not Snooze.

2. The music, jingles and presenters may be "boring" in your opinion but again, Smooth isn't meant to be exciting.

3. It's your opinion that the woman on the jingles is "patronising". I disagree. I'm sure if lots of listeners felt the same way Smooth would change the voice.

4. If you want to throw up I'm not stopping you.

There you go again my opinions must be wrong as you think otherwise.
    1. The adverts left over from Gold stick out like a sore thumb they do not fit the format.
    2. I appreciate Smooth isn't meant to be exciting but surely the presenters do not have to sound bored
    3. I am entitled to view my opinion of the new jingles the old sung ones fitted in well and added to the overall sound. The new jingles are lifeless they don't sell the brand.

No I don't listen but I would like to want to listen given that I have now got this on DAB in place of Gold.