Options

Decoration Envy?

Comments

• Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's cheery and I like it. On my walk down to the tube in the morning there's a house visible from halfway down the hill thanks to its snowman, reindeer and hedge lights in the garden, and when you get closer you can spot the tree and all the lights in the windows over two floors. They're the only house that goes overboard each year and it's a great sight.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I find it highly amusing that the OP is Si Crewe - I thought it was gonna be The Wizard or someone lol :D Seriously Si, they are just Christmas decorations, you really don't have to do your house up to look like Santa's grotto just coz the neighbours have! :D

See my previous post.

As i say, I don't mean to be all "bah humbug!" about it.

It's just kind of strange the way the peer pressure does seem to kick in when it happens.
    I really do feel like I ought to, at least, stick my own decorations up ASAP so we don't look like a house full of grinches.

Maybe I'll start making the dogs wear clip-on reindeer antlers when I take them for walks? :D
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »

:D♥ ♥ ♥:D
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »

Very good! :-D
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's probably some on here who think outdoor Christmas decorations on neighbours houses means a drop in the value of their property.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    See my previous post.

It's just kind of strange the way the peer pressure does seem to kick in when it happens.
    I really do feel like I ought to, at least, stick my own decorations up ASAP so we don't look like a house full of grinches.

Maybe I'll start making the dogs wear clip-on reindeer antlers when I take them for walks? :D

Haha well it's a start I guess - not sure if the dogs will be too impressed though! :D
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    See my previous post.

Go the whole hog you'll be able to find them in the dark too :D
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    I don't really subscribe to spending a lot to impress strangers. I'd be tempted to go the opposite way, and put a single, teeny tiny little tree on your windowsill. Less can be more.

This is how I feel, classier imho.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    This. I appreciate a good laugh, of the best kind, when I see a really OTT house. It's Christmas, get your rocks off however you like.

You wouldn't believe how long they take to put up but it's worth it. It's great to see the kiddies reactions when they going home from school.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    There's probably some on here who think outdoor Christmas decorations on neighbours houses means a drop in the value of their property.

Ooops. Then my neighbours must all be in negative equity ha ha
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe how long they take to put up but it's worth it. It's great to see the kiddies reactions when they going home from school.

Just watch you don't get thicko's accusing you of being a pediatrician. :blush:
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's nice when I see a house decorated outside tastefully with a tree with some nice warm glowing lights on it but when I see those folk who dress it up like something out of the National Lampoons Christmas Vacation I think it just looks chavy and tacky and can't help but think that these people have got way too much time on their hands not to mention a total lack of taste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Dear God, awful.

I started off being appalled, then amazed and with final admiration at how totally uncaringly bonkers it all is!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started off being appalled, then amazed and with final admiration at how totally uncaringly bonkers it all is!!!

Bonkers yes, still OTT tacky imo.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully, nobody on my block ever decorates outside, so there isn't any sort of competition there.

In my house, the most convenient spot for the Christmas tree happens to be in a corner with large windows on both walls that is very visible from the street. So when the tree lights are turned on it is a fairly prominent decoration from outside. That's the only holiday decorating I do.
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Jeez, who wants to drape their house in all that shite anyway? You only see it on council housing round here.

People in council houses should not be be so judgemental.😄

It's my house and I'll decorate it if I want to, decorate if I want to 😄
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

If you follow the link to their web site, there is this link (Display Etiquette) on the Home page.

https://sites.google.com/site/listentoourlights/home/display-etiquette
    Display Etiquette

Our family loves Christmas lights and we love to share them with others. Please keep in mind that we have neighbors that are looking forward to their own Christmas cheer and we would sincerly appreciate your courtesy to them during your visit. By abiding with the following points we can keep our Christmas spirit in check.

Do not turn around in driveways.

No one likes to have dozens of cars turning around in their driveways in an evening flashing headlights into their house.

Do not block driveways or intersections.

Our neighbors have the right to get to and from their homes without hassle. Blocking driveways and intersections is not acceptable so please extend the right of way to our neighbors.

Please do not park directly in front of the house. This allows more people to see at once.

If people park directly in front of the house only 2 cars can enjoy the lights at one time. If people keep the area in front of the house clear then 8 cars can enjoy the lights which reduces traffic and lessens the impact on the neighborhood.

No honking, yelling, loud radios, or littering.
    So, it's OK to have the equivalent of an outdoor nightclub with music blaring out and a Christmas theme annoying the neighbours, but if you turn up (by car) to watch, you have to essentially not disturb the neighbours.

IRONY!!

=

My personal take on this is. Do it if you must. I'm sure some of the children will enjoy it, but don't kid (see what I did there) yourself that anything visible from the outside won't affect anybody.

It's pretty pretentious really and 'show offy'.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    Well said. I decorate my house so much it could probably be seen from space!!!

Its my house and my money and therefore my choice. If people don't like it then don't look

It's outside. How can I not notice it.

You might as well say 'I don't like the colours grey or black, so I wont look at the tarmac', when walking down the road.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer just a suggestion of outside decorations- not a full on shout. I don't see really garish displays around the area I live. I do get annoyed when I see houses who leave the decs up all year - not lit up etc but they couldn't be bothered to take them down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer just a suggestion of outside decorations- not a full on shout. I don't see really garish displays around the area I live. I do get annoyed when I see houses who leave the decs up all year - not lit up etc but they couldn't be bothered to take them down.

One of the flats in our block left their Christmas stickers in the windows. Obviously they're back in season now, lol.