Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Incidentally, I've been looking back at Midwife's "flop" performances from the last two Christmases. The 5th highest rated BBC1 programme of the week in 2012 and the 6th highest rated in 2013. You can see why the BBC have kept it on Christmas Day.

Not this again. Did you look at the Christmas episode overnights in comparison to the in-season overnights for CTM or just look at the Christmas episode overnights?
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    People who were at the recordings of both MBB shows said they were absolutely hilarious and cast members thought they were the best they'd ever done:D

Could you repeat that one more time just encase anyone missed it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there's been a lot of talk about the soaps on this thread lately (or indeed the whole year) - but it's totally warranted. What a grim set of numbers to start off Christmas Week. I just don't get it. Yes, I know the quality isn't the best at the moment - but after a highly successful 2013 for the ITV soaps - January 2014 arrived and all of a sudden 1m viewers seem to switch off instantly, almost declaring this is the year I give up on the soaps and that trend has followed the whole year.

To be fair though - everything has been down pretty much. It's been a very disappointing year overall for TV ratings. I want to see some better numbers as we approach 2015 - but I fear the worse is yet to come. :(

Those 1m viewers decided their New Years resolution was too give up soaps.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

What happens if another 1m do the same this new year? :o
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member

That does seem to be the case. :confused:

Out of interest. Does anyone know if BARB started to report things differently this year? By this I mean a change in the panel, some sort of new system? Anything really that explains why pretty much every show this year has suffered a decline?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I expected higher for Cinderella considering it trended.
    Maybe the rights don't allow promotion as most other films have been heavily promoted .
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    What happens if another 1m do the same this new year? :o

Then the soaps will have a shorter life span. In all likely hood all three will get a boost next year, but not as much as they might have done if they were (Corrie in particular) stronger, but then remain low through late Feb, March through towards Summer.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    They've picked a naff joke for the endless trails on 5Live.

As unfunny as the one episode we sat through.

I'm not sure they could repeat most of the bucking jokes on daytime radio.

Is Keeping up Appearances on at all this Christmas?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    NMTB - 1.40m (7.1%)
    Brian Pern 0.61m (3.9%)

Hmm, well I'd probably go for Mrs Brown's Boys. Only Miranda could beat it I think but its 7.15 slot makes it difficult to predict. Will that slot help or hinder it? I'm erring on the side of it being a help and giving it a bit of a boost, so it could give MBB a run for its money. Not confident enough to put money on anything this year though.

Never Mind The Buzzcocks beat Derek! That lead-in from The Wrong Mans definitely helped. Can see Mrs Brown's Boys doing very well. The repeats of previous Christmas episodes are on this week and they do well. Might get people primed for this year's episodes.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Is Keeping up Appearances on at all this Christmas?
    Drama has a double bill on Boxing Day, but there's no BBC One screenings this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Drama has a double bill on Boxing Day, but there's no BBC One screenings this year.

Shocking !! ;-)
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Never Mind The Buzzcocks beat Derek! That lead-in from The Wrong Mans definitely helped. Can see Mrs Brown's Boys doing very well. The repeats of previous Christmas episodes are on this week and they do well. Might get people primed for this year's episodes.

Yes, last night's repeat of first 2012 special did very well - 3.41m (22.6%).

I think someone asked how The Cube did on ITV at 5pm. It averaged 1.83m (11.7%), including +1. This was such weird scheduling - they had this on yesterday and The Chase was back on today. I really don't understand the thinking behind dumping The Chase for one day for a random repeat of The Cube.

Talking of weird scheduling, I know Steve Williams mentioned the BBC comedy clashes. As I type this it is pretty daft, BBC3 comedy literally taking over:

BBC1 - Cuckoo (first shown on BBC3)
    BBC2 - Backchat (first shown on BBC3)
    BBC3 - Family Guy

Not that I'm really complaining, the more comedy the better at Christmas IMO. But they're all going to have similar audiences, so perhaps not the most intelligent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    They've picked a naff joke for the endless trails on 5Live.

As unfunny as the one episode we sat through.

Probably the cleanest bit they could find.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably the cleanest bit they could find.

Its a bit wierd isnt it advertising on afternoon radio?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone thinking it's going to be Miranda Hart overkill on BBC One on Christmas Day should have taken a look at C4 tonight.

Roisin Conaty featured in all three Christmas specials on the channel, first as a contestant on Fifteen To One, then as a panelist on 8 Out of 10 Cats and finally as an actress in the sitcom Man Down.

If they were trying to boost Man Down, it didn't work in this household. We turned over after Cats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think someone asked how The Cube did on ITV at 5pm. It averaged 1.83m (11.7%), including +1. This was such weird scheduling - they had this on yesterday and The Chase was back on today. I really don't understand the thinking behind dumping The Chase for one day for a random repeat of The Cube.

This is why I think Mrs Brown's Boys has the edge. It just draws in viewers with repeats alone. Also looking back at the last regular series for both. Mrs Brown's Boys held steady with better overnights and consolidated ratings than Miranda did.

Sometimes people don't realise how popular it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Its a bit wierd isnt it advertising on afternoon radio?

Not really. You want people to watch. Like radio trailers for 18 certificate movies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Talking of weird scheduling, I know Steve Williams mentioned the BBC comedy clashes. As I type this it is pretty daft, BBC3 comedy literally taking over:

BBC1 - Cuckoo (first shown on BBC3)
    BBC2 - Backchat (first shown on BBC3)
    BBC3 - Family Guy

Not that I'm really complaining, the more comedy the better at Christmas IMO. But they're all going to have similar audiences, so perhaps not the most intelligent.

Awful for The Cube, but not surprising. Poor scheduling delivers poor ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Awful for The Cube, but not surprising. Poor scheduling delivers poor ratings.
    We put it on expecting The Chase and to say we were unimpressed would be an understatement. I could understand them taking it off for a film or some kind of seasonal special, but not an absolutely garbage repeat like this.

They really dumbed down The Cube for the Loose Women as well. First one they just had to be able to count basically, the next they had to turn a number of containers upside down quickly, and then all they had to do was be able to walk in a straight line ! With a studio audience intent on reacting wildly inappropriately upon completion of these pathetically easy games and the insufferable Schofield simpering his way through proceedings as per, it didn't last long before an inevitable channel change.

Overall, a well deserved low rating for ITV at 5pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking back at the last regular series for both. Mrs Brown's Boys held steady with better overnights and consolidated ratings than Miranda did.

Sometimes people don't realise how popular it is.

The thing about looking back so positively on the previous series of Mrs Browns Boys is that said previous series was before the movie version came out and not only bombed critically but didn't do much better with fans. Has that damaged the brand? Although then again Keith Lemon's film did even worse in both respects and ratings for the next series of Celebrity Juice still held up. I guess we shall see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    The thing about looking back so positively on the previous series of Mrs Browns Boys is that said previous series was before the movie version came out and not only bombed critically but didn't do much better with fans. Has that damaged the brand? Although then again Keith Lemon's film did even worse in both respects and ratings for the next series of Celebrity Juice still held up. I guess we shall see.
    And similarly has the horrendously bad Harry Hill Movie (IMDB rating: 3.5 !) done any damage to his popularity ahead of his big return to ITV primetime in January.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    And similarly has the horrendously bad Harry Hill Movie (IMDB rating: 3.5 !) done any damage to his popularity ahead of his big return to ITV primetime in January.

I'm surprised the Harry Hill Movie got that high a score - it was, truly, the worst film I've ever seen. Although it did so badly, a large proportion of the intended audience may not have seen it and thus be the none the wiser. Who knows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised the Harry Hill Movie got that high a score - it was, truly, the worst film I've ever seen. Although it did so badly, a large proportion of the audience may not have seen it and thus be the none the wiser. Who knows.
    That's true. :D
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there's been a lot of talk about the soaps on this thread lately (or indeed the whole year) - but it's totally warranted. What a grim set of numbers to start off Christmas Week. I just don't get it. Yes, I know the quality isn't the best at the moment - but after a highly successful 2013 for the ITV soaps - January 2014 arrived and all of a sudden 1m viewers seem to switch off instantly, almost declaring this is the year I give up on the soaps and that trend has followed the whole year.

To be fair though - everything has been down pretty much. It's been a very disappointing year overall for TV ratings. I want to see some better numbers as we approach 2015 - but I fear the worse is yet to come. :(

If Julia and Tony were still alive they would be mortified at how far EE has fallen in terms of ratings and quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People that hated the movie said it was a mistake to do it but still liked the TV show. It's still winning awards voted for by the public and the stage shows are still selling out. I don't think it has any effect and if it does it's minimal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Julia and Tony were still alive they would be mortified at how far EE has fallen in terms of ratings and quality.

And they made Eldorado! :D

It's better than under Lorraine Newman but the ratings are worse. Odd isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.