Options

Your opinion on the Moderation and other forum users?

Comments

• Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK...who alerted the mods? Own up!
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With that theory, there'd be no one left - even people that have innocently alerted their own post!

Now that bit is funny, alerting your own post.:D
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Because it would end up like a certain other forum which shall remain nameless.

I do not moderate anywhere, dontcha know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    Bull. Many with high post counts are the worst offenders. I think they get too comfortable believing they won't be banned because they post so often.
    It's the ones who are 'new' and rack up posts complaining about the cliques who end up banned, and you have to wonder why
    vosne wrote: »
    I do not moderate anywhere, dontcha know.
    That's cos you are immoderate.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    That's cos you are immoderate.

Perhaps true :(
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    It's the ones who are 'new' and rack up posts complaining about the cliques who end up banned, and you have to wonder why

I better get packing then. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    This is how I see it too. I've seen a number of members regularly flouting the T&Cs but would appear not to be affected possibly due to their post count - if the mods banned them (either short term or permanently) then they may think that other people might leave the site as a result. Less people using the site, less potential ad revenue.

I appreciate it is a difficult site to moderate given the number of posters compared with the number of moderators. I've been on smaller forums where pretty much anything goes except gross misconduct (racism, blatant flaming, etc) so am glad there is some kind of attempt to enforce a level of standard here. However that level of standard isn't being enforced properly in my view.
    Hmmm. I've never fallen foul of DS T&Cs although I'm sure I've broken them a few times, but yeah, although it's of no great importance, it does often seem glaringly obvious that the moderation isn't fair and square across the board.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,794
    Forum Member
    You all suck. ;):p

edit - in all seriousness though I think the moderation here is very good- yes it of course has its flaws as everywhere does - but especially compared to some other places i've visited over the years where decisions are influenced by who the person moderating is friends with or whether they agree with the points being made. Here we're free to pretty much express any opinions we have which makes for good debates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chupa-chups.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    I better get packing then. :(

lol I wasn't meaning you. But you know the type, been here a week, seem to have 'lurked' for 8 years and know 'everything' and then complain about the forum and the members here, making veiled comments that would require long time knowledge of the folk here.
    People who rejoin after a ban do not bother me, good luck to them, but those that return with an agenda to whine about, do.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,909
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think the opposite is true. They have a high post count because they're sharp enough to stick to the rules, and therefore have never incurred a permaban.

Perhaps, or they just never have anything contentious to say or post in a thread which never needs to be moderated.
    Looking at the stats at the top of the page, there have been nearly 1,800,000 threads and 511,000 members. It is impossible for a few mods to police the threads, apart from checking on thread titles that look like they could be 'trouble', and relying on other fms to alert if the t&c's are seriously breached. The mods cannot and do not read every post in every thread. Plus some fms will alert posts whilst others will not.

Post count can be immaterial...I have seen fms with large post counts getting perma bans.

Agreed, I think the mods have to rely on the "Alert" process and take things into their own hands if they happen to spot anything that needs looked at before it gets alerted.
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Why on earth would other users leave the site because one user had been banned? That doesn't make any sense. :confused:

Cliques. Some users might think, "If x got banned for doing nothing then I'm going to have a flounce and not come back either". I don't know any posters individually but I'll wager that there may be some posters who would do this if a friend got banned for whatever reason.
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I think DS used to be a lot better at enforcing good forum etiquette. I think it all went downhill when they stopped concentrating on the digital broadcast industry and let in all the "zelebrity" crap and reality TV small-talk. I think if they got rid of that, DS would revert to being a much more sensible place where technologically-minded people could hang out in safety once again.

I agree in principle, but I suspect the site expansion was to attract more users to the site and hence more traffic and hence increase ad revenue with the offset being having to moderate more users.

Thanks to the mod who posted an explanation above, it's most useful. And that wasn't being said sarcastically.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem to be very well informed for someone who has not been here very long.

Yet another half baked comment suggesting that a newbie must have an illicit agenda! Can a newbie not have an opinion, or does an apprenticeship have to be served. Is it forbidden for any newbie to have had any experience of any other forum (coz there really aren't that many around these days are there!) before they join DS! Here's a newsflash, DS aint the only forum around!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saying that someone is well informed is not implying they are a PBU.

Can you enlighten us as to exactly what you are implying by the comment then?
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it would end up like a certain other forum which shall remain nameless.

Yeh, mumsnet is pretty hardcore, we don't want to end up like that!!!!:eek:
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that bit is funny, alerting your own post.:D
    I have alerted my own post before. I ballsed up and made a duplicate thread so alerted it to get it deleted :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Can you enlighten us as to exactly what you are implying by the comment then?
    The OP got uppity when I said the same to him. I was implying that he was either:
    A) a previously banned user;
    B) a long time lurker; or
    C) an extremely perceptive fast learner.

I won't lie, i had a feeling that it was option A) and now, going by the fact that he has been rendered inactive and on account of the fact that I fall into option C), I think my hunch might have been correct. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    The OP got uppity when I said the same to him. I was implying that he was either:
    A) a previously banned user;
    B) a long time lurker; or
    C) an extremely perceptive fast learner.

I won't lie, i had a feeling that it was option A) and now, going by the fact that he has been rendered inactive, I think my hunch might have been correct.

(I am option C) ;) )

I am just me, and certainly not A! I post as I would speak to people, I have no agenda but I will jump in if I don't think someone is being fair or is misinformed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I am just me, and certainly not A! I post as I would speak to people, I have no agenda but I will jump in if I don't think someone is being fair or is misinformed!
    You don't need to get defensive or explain yourself to me, I'm not accusing you of anything :)
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    My advice to avoid a ban for what it is worth;

Go for the ball (the topic) not the person. Works for me.
  • Options
    Shirley CarterShirley Carter Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    There was someone rude yesterday and called everyone that awful c word. They weren't put on a ban. I'm sure that must come under the treating users with respect rule.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was someone rude yesterday and called everyone that awful c word. They weren't put on a ban. I'm sure that must come under the treating users with respect rule.

If it wasn't alerted, then how would the mods know? . This forum is huge and they do not read every thread. If you saw the thread, did you report the fm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's just a word at the end of the day. That thread was very funny
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're meaning the guy who was arguing about t-shirts from Next then he did get banned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    You don't need to get defensive or explain yourself to me, I'm not accusing you of anything :)

Not defensive at all, just confirming some facts! You explained what another FM probably meant by their post, I was responding! :)
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it wasn't alerted, then how would the mods know? . This forum is huge and they do not read every thread. If you saw the thread, did you report the fm?

But the thread was closed and got rid of. How could that happen if the mods weren't aware of it?
This discussion has been closed.