Is parity a good thing for gamers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    This really about how many Ps or which looks better, its about whether a company should make a game better if they can, its about whether programming for the worst and saying job done is good enough

Remember last gen when so many games got better ports on 360, that was fine but this gen X1 is behind so we start to see parity to avoid arguments and debate, that makes no sense where was the parity last gen

My comment was more in relation to those stupid DigitalFoundry things Eurogamer does which compares on console against the other. To which there is then like 1000's of threads on sites with people going over the video frame by frame trying to spot the tiny flaw in the X1 version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    My comment was more in relation to those stupid DigitalFoundry things Eurogamer does which compares on console against the other. To which there is then like 1000's of threads on sites with people going over the video frame by frame trying to spot the tiny flaw in the X1 version.

Oh my apologies then, I agree those article are pointless
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my apologies then, I agree those article are pointless

No worries :p
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No parity is not a good thing. Microsoft have exclusives and ps4 have exclusives. We also have shared games - but why would the developers not take advantage of each consoles 'powers' to make the game look / play the best they can?

This better be a one off - I want my PS4 playing games which take advantage of the hardware...
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »

Its been happening for over 5 years so I don't see it stopping any time soon.

What I find annoying are the hypocrites, the Playstation fans who suddenly find these minor differences a problem on this new generation of systems and the Xbox fans who suddenly don't see them as been a problem any more.

On the AC Unity issue if the game need to run at 900p on both systems then so be it if that's what it takes to achieve what they want. But gimping one version because the other system cant achieve the same resolution or frame rate is wrong no matter what. The only compromises that should be acceptable is if certain gameplay features cannot be achieved on both systems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    They should aim at the best of each console, use the X1 extra clock speed and the PS4 Compute & more GPU grunt to get the best.

Did I moan that AC had bad tearing on the PS3 and no trophies (well I did on trophies), no.

My second me game was UC and that was great.

I really enjoyed those two earlish games, one was a not very good version and the other a rather good graphics game. But I played and enjoyed.

I even enjoyed a PS2 game (on PS3) more than its PS4 launch version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Its been happening for over 5 years so I don't see it stopping any time soon.

What I find annoying are the hypocrites, the Playstation fans who suddenly find these minor differences a problem on this new generation of systems and the Xbox fans who suddenly don't see them as been a problem any more.

On the AC Unity issue if the game need to run at 900p on both systems then so be it if that's what it takes to achieve what they want. But gimping one version because the other system cant achieve the same resolution or frame rate is wrong no matter what. The only compromises that should be acceptable is if certain gameplay features cannot be achieved on both systems.

I disagree with the BIB, if one system can have features on games that the other can't then so be it, artists should never limit themselves to the lowest common denominator, even if it means people missing out
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree with the BIB, if one system can have features on games that the other can't then so be it, artists should never limit themselves to the lowest common denominator, even if it means people missing out

IMO ... If the artists (in question) want a wage then they'll do whatever's required of them! ... That's how the world works these days! :) ... Unless they like being unemployed! ;-)
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Oh my God, even this forum.. let this topic die already. We're a year into the generation, buy the games you like, play and enjoy. Same as every other gen.

It's a fact some multiplatform developers aim for parity, funny how it was regarded a great thing last gen for PS3, now it's not. Did 360 fans cry and accuse devs of "gimping" a game when a PS3 version came out the same? (something like the entirely visually unimpressive Darksiders or Dante's Inferno..) Did they demand that the extra GPU power should be put to use? Multiplat games very rarely make full use of the hardware anyway.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my God, even this forum.. let this topic die already. We're a year into the generation, buy the games you like, play and enjoy. Same as every other gen.

It's a fact some multiplatform developers aim for parity, funny how it was regarded a great thing last gen for PS3, now it's not. Did 360 fans cry and accuse devs of "gimping" a game when a PS3 version came out the same? (something like the entirely visually unimpressive Darksiders or Dante's Inferno..) Did they demand that the extra GPU power should be put to use? Multiplat games very rarely make full use of the hardware anyway.

agreed....

going to bed

while you lot have been playing Alien and Forza, its been the Jeremy Kyle show on wheels for me......

:blush:
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bayonetta? Xbox fanboys favourite stick. Funny how it mattered so much then. Now the boot is on the other foot it doesn't matter. I got it on 360, simple. It is a daft idea to simplify a game that could be better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Bayonetta? Xbox fanboys favourite stick. Funny how it mattered so much then. Now the boot is on the other foot it doesn't matter. I got it on 360, simple. It is a daft idea to simplify a game that could be better.

And there are far more examples of 360 having the better port, back then it was used as one of the reasons 360 was better, now it doesn't matter funny that isn't it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there are far more examples of 360 having the better port, back then it was used as one of the reasons 360 was better, now it doesn't matter funny that isn't it

I'm lost ... What's wrong with Bayonetta??
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It ran miles better on the 360. At the time xbox fanboys were practically salivating about the difference. A patch improved things on ps3 eventually. At the time it mattered greatly to XBox fans, now any ps game that is superior 'doesn't matter'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    It ran miles better on the 360. At the time xbox fanboys were practically salivating about the difference. A patch improved things on ps3 eventually. At the time it mattered greatly to XBox fans, now any ps game that is superior 'doesn't matter'.

Oh right.. In other news Driveclub has got a good score from DS...

No duds so far then.. Apart from maybe Destiny
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Oh right.. In other news Driveclub has got a good score from DS...

No duds so far then.. Apart from maybe Destiny

I thought you were going to bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I thought you were going to bed.

That Alien game is in the wardrobe .. Has to put the lights on..

And just howling at angry joe and the Avgn on YouTube

Can't sleep after a busy day checking tickets and throwing people off yay