Options

Dexter - Season 8 - UK Pace

Comments

• Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who is trying to set up Zach and why? pressumably someone with knowledge of the Norma Rivera case to be able to stage it so well.
    Are they doing it to get at Zach or at Dexter? Seems likely they're the Big Bad for the rest of this season.

My only issue with this season is that there has been no real build up to anything. we had the brain surgeon, then Zach, then Hannah and now some other killer. It's too scattered.
    Still this season is better than 6, the Doomsday killer was the worst (yes even worse than Miguel).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »
    Dexter gets a bit of a slating in The Guardian: Have to see I agree.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/aug/27/dexter-series-finale

one thing I agree with the article is that Dexter hasn't changed that much over the years. Every year folk say it's jumped the shark but there was a golden age when the show was fantastic. I've always liked the show but never thought it was great tv.

here are some thoughts on previous seasons:
    From Dexter - Season 2 (FX Pace)
    ...with last season I dont ever remember one dull episode..This season just seems to have a different tone..Its almost like (showtime) tv execs caved in to the remarks that S1 glorified killing. So now they've toned it down..Most of the episodes consist of dexter doubting himself or trying to evade capture...
    Agree, I dont know but I just dont like the new Dexter. I think the writers made a mistake of killing the ice truck killer... The old dexter was incredible.
    Minky_Bum wrote: »
    ...I too feel that Dexter is changing too much too quickly. he's like a different person already and we're only 3 eppies in...

From Dexter - Season 3 - FX/FX HD Pace
    Paper Doll wrote: »
    Don't like how some soap opera stuff seems to be creeping in, don't care about LaGuerta and Baptista's love lives and the main plot of the Dexter/Miguel partnership is ridiculous and unconvincing, even by the show's far-fetched standards, plus Dexter's Dad turning up all the time is dull as well.
    You summed this season up for me. Dull, each episode is a chore, the sub-plots take up too much time and are uninteresting.

Dexter has gone stale.
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one finding Dexter lacking at the moment. As others have said, uninteresting sub-plots coupled with the weak Dexter/Miguel storyline is not making for good viewing.

I could go on but frankly cba...
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    My only issue with this season is that there has been no real build up to anything. we had the brain surgeon, then Zach, then Hannah and now some other killer.
    The "other killer" is the brain surgeon again. So it's had quite a lot of build up.
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The editing at the end of the latest episode was horrendous! One minute dexter is having sex with Hannah, the next walking into his apartment and finding Zack. Why was there no scene to bridge the two? I can't fathom what the writers are thinking, I am so sad that they are treating the final season with so little respect
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    The "other killer" is the brain surgeon again. So it's had quite a lot of build up.

Do we know this for sure? was there a piece of brain? I wasn't paying attention.
    Even if there was, someone replicated the Norma Rivera killing couldn't they replicate the brain surgeon?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I have to agree that this series is a bit fragmented and the reappearance of Hannah seems pointless unless she has some part in Dexter's downfall/demise. I'll watch the last few episodes because I've followed this programme from the beginning but maybe it would have been better to end it sooner.
    The writing seems sloppy now and the character development doesn't follow on from previous series.

Still think that Dexter is one of the best programmes ever though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    Do we know this for sure?
    We don't know it for sure - it was the final scene of the episode - but we did see the back of Zack's head cut off and part of the brain sent to Vogel. So the MO is the same, and whoever it is knows the brain surgeon was sending trophies to Vogel, and also knows that Vogel was working with Dexter and that Dexter was connected with Zack. Most of that is not public knowledge; for example the police don't know it. So it'd be harder to replicate than the Norma Rivera killing, which could be got from police evidence (or from breaking into Zack's place as seeing his photos).
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't an episode in the US this weekend, and they're a week ahead of us so do we lose a week at some point? Or areFox going to run ep11 then 12 the next day, to allow for the time difference so that America still gets it first? Or even live so like 2am like sky did with Fringe?

Not on Fox next week (8th). Epg shows two episodes of Family Guy instead.
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    There isn't an episode in the US this weekend, and they're a week ahead of us so do we lose a week at some point? Or areFox going to run ep11 then 12 the next day, to allow for the time difference so that America still gets it first? Or even live so like 2am like sky did with Fringe?

Just looked at Sky listings for next Sunday and Fox have Double episodes of Family Guy in it's place
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    Just looked at Sky listings for next Sunday and Fox have Double episodes of Family Guy in it's place

I know but stil no word from fox about the finale arrangements, maybe they feel letdown by the final season aswell?
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dexter is back on 15th Sept so the US must be breaking too
  • Options
    Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After tonight & with only 3 episodes left, I really can't see how this can end with a great shocking finale...and I do want something memorable. Dexter used to be a series that could really surprise me out of the blue & I miss that.

I don't want him to get caught but I also don't want him riding off happily into the sunset with Hannah & Harrison, both those endings would feel lame to me.

Don't want much, do I? ;)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that the US is having a break with this - tradtionally they've shown the entire series from start to finish.

but then I suppose if you've been watching at UK pace then switch to US pace and next Sunday's episode on the 8th, there's no break ..
  • Options
    richhoopsrichhoops Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I just caught up with four weeks of Dexter in a row, have always loved this show but I'm so disappointed with the final season.

I think they pushed things a season too far, it really should have ended off the back of Debs finding out and what decision she would make about it. The pair of them are the dynamic of the show and that should have led into the conclusion. Instead it feels like they have no idea where they're going with it all.

The best I'm hoping for now is that the Brain Surgeon and Vogel plots will get wrapped up in episode ten and it turns out the producers planned out two really good final episodes and needed to fill the space before they got there .....
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Dexter is back on 15th Sept so the US must be breaking too

Suspect it was due to the Labor Day holiday weekend in the US
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    It should have ended in that container last season. And Deb should have shot Dexter instead of Laguerta.

This season is just unnecessary padding, and the worst by far.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should have ended in that container last season. And Deb should have shot Dexter instead of Laguerta.

This season is just unnecessary padding, and the worst by far.

To be fair, as a normal season (ie, not the last ever) it would of worked fine. I've actually enjoyed it. The only issue I have is that now, 3 episodes (or 2?) before the end and it's only JUST now starting to pick up... this means that we more than likely aren't going to see the epic ending we all wanted.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    To be fair, as a normal season (ie, not the last ever) it would of worked fine. I've actually enjoyed it. The only issue I have is that now, 3 episodes (or 2?) before the end and it's only JUST now starting to pick up... this means that we more than likely aren't going to see the epic ending we all wanted.

Would HAVE*** "Would of" is like saying "I of done" something or "I ofn't thought about it". Sorry, but it's real bugbear of mine. :o

Anyway, I agree that this season has done absolutely nothing to convey a feeling of 'ending'. It could (and should) have been epic, tense, suspenseful and gripping, but so far the season has just felt like a bog-standard, wheels-spinning run of episodes.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they also went wrong with having Deb more or less accept Dexter has a serial killer. I know she loves him, but in reality, I doubt she would have let it get this far. So, I agree it would have been better if she'd shot him instead or had this season about others finding out as well and attempting to bring him to justice.
  • Options
    LucyyculLucyycul Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After all the reivew I have read on Dexter we have juststarted watrching. Only manager 4 eps of season 1 so far but find it hard to see what the big deal is. Does it get better?
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucyycul wrote: »
    After all the reivew I have read on Dexter we have juststarted watrching. Only manager 4 eps of season 1 so far but find it hard to see what the big deal is. Does it get better?

As someone who only got into the show 2 years ago, I have found that each season (bar the final one) usually picks up once they reach the midpoint i.e. Episode 6. However, after Season 4 there is a major drop in the overall quality (apart from Season 7). I think this is due to the fact that Melissa Rosenberg, who was originally the head writer and an executive producer, left the show then to work on the 'Twilight' movies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I am a massive Dexter fan, but this my least favorite season. I liked it better before anyone else knew about Dexter's dark passenger...
  • Options
    Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really struggling to keep watching this series but I do want to see how it ends, I am a bit disappointed to be honest.

The characters we have got to know through out the seasons seem to be forgotten about or given really forgettable side stories. We have been introduced to new characters in a final season like Elway who we aren't invested in. I think it would have been good if Batista had found some of the evidence Laguerta had found on Dexter, but no Miami metro is still woefully stupid, it's annoying.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn’t really expect much from this season to be honest. I felt a change in tone and quality as early as three or four seasons ago. The Dexter character doesn’t make sense to me anymore, its like a new writer with different ideas changed the whole thing, along with the Dex/Deb relationship, which was great until the “complications” ruined it entirely (totally unnecessary). I don’t get how a guy that has been a Psychopath most of his life is developing these feelings, it defeats the object of what the show was about in the first place. It never seemed to say “Dexter is right and a good guy, because he is killing bad people”, it now appears to convey that though, comments like “he deserves my table” promote the idea that his “table” is justified, glorifying it in some hypocritical way. Terrible line as well, nearly as bad as "he's robbing us, and I’ve got nothing to give, I'll give him death!"

The writing has just gone so downhill that I don’t even recognize the show from the first season, season 1 had some sharp narrative, the guy is a sicko hiding his real identity by deceiving people and pretending to be a family man, that was done in creepy brilliance in the first few seasons. Now he is a loving father that cares about everyone, did he recover from being a Psycho then as that confuses me.

The constant explanation of everything Dexter does has really reached meteoric heights this season as well. If Dex opens a draw in the kitchen Harry will pop up with some gem such as “Dex, you opened that draw because you are hiding the spoons of who you are and you want people to see the cutlery of your soul blah blah blah”. Nearly everything Harry says is irritating, are the audience really so stupid every little thing needs to be explained in running commentary. Harry should only be used at very key points, not every time Dex takes a dump.
    As for the reintroduction of Hannah, sick bag time. I want to see a conclusive end to Dexter, I don’t want to see screen time wasted on his sweaty ass pounding away on a character that out stayed her welcome the previous season. Now he is in love to, because she also kills people so that makes sense, how lovely
    Anyway the list goes on. I also don’t get the view that if this season wasn’t the end it would be somehow acceptable. For what? Another run of the mill Dexter season? The whole problem is they dragged it out a few seasons too long with these boring formulaic plots. All the characters are repeating themselves, renewing relationships they have already had, becoming parodies by repeating lines or stupid laughs. When they try something new it falls flat, how about the new long lost daughter storyline, do you really care what happens there? Like I say, wasn’t expecting much. I might be way off on some views according to others but any way you cut it Dexter has gone out with a splutter.

It just goes to show, keeping the quality of a series up is a monumentally difficult task when you think about it, all the changes that can effect the whole concept and also be able end on a high. I think the changes hurt Dexter and turned it from a diamond of a series to a turd of one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This season was weak points, but it also has strengths. I get the impression many viewers entered it with prior expectations about what the final season should be, and because the show chose to go a different way, they are grumpy and can only see the bad.
    richhoops wrote: »
    Instead it feels like they have no idea where they're going with it all.
    To me it seems they had the pretty clear idea of setting Dexter up with a surrogate mother, wife and son all of whom knew him and accepted him. Even Deb was on-board. That crystallised with the "Are we there yet?" and the following supper scene. Now they are offering the possibility that Dexter and Hannah will leave the country and be happy together abroad; and Debs will return to Miami Metro where she belongs, and be happy without them further complicating her life.
    ritch wrote: »
    I don’t get how a guy that has been a Psychopath most of his life is developing these feelings, it defeats the object of what the show was about in the first place.
    Really? Even in the first season it was apparent that Dexter had feelings. He only claimed he didn't. And that was because people around him (notably his father) told him he didn't. Part of the core of the show has been that contradiction between what he says and what he does. Deb was introduced with "My sister... If I had feelings for anyone I'd have them for her" when it was clear he did care about her. Every season has been about him slowly realising this and becoming more normal through his relations with other people. With Hannah he finally realises his "dark passenger" was an illusion and that he doesn't have to kill. The story is coherent.