Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a question for you all. If Gerrard is on 9 bookings right now (which I think is correct), should he take a deliberate yellow against Sunderland on Wednesday? It'd mean he misses the games against Spurs and West Ham, but be available again for the next game after that, which would be Man City at home.

I wouldn't want to risk him missing the City game truth be told.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    I think it is just a case of some of 'us' getting the jitters - we are so close to touching the top now, it has to set the shudders going. I would just trust BR to get the right format for the game coming up, I really do trust that guy fully.

I have been looking at what we have left to contend with, basically on the top 5 (ignored Spurs though!).

City have 3 big away matches yet. Arsenal, Us and Everton. 10 matches left 63 points

We, Arsenal and Everton have 2 big ones -
    Us to City and Chelsea. 8 matches left 65 points
    Everton at home to Arsenal and City. 9 matches left 54 points
    Arsenal home to City and away to Everton. 8 matches left 62 points

Chelsea just have us away. 7 matches left 69 points

I can actually see us losing out by one point to City - unless some other team takes points from us. Basically, if we win every point we can now, it could still be out of our hands - we just have to hope City lose that point to someone else. And to be brutally frank, I would rather it wasn't Man U - they will never, ever let us forget that they 'helped' us win the league! :o

Nah, I hope United stuff them on Tuesday if I'm perfectly honest. No club helps another win the league its based on 38 matches and even if they were saying that I wouldn't care if PL trophy ends up at Anfield!

We just need to concentrate on ourselves, we win all our matches we end on 89 points and I can't see that not being enough to win the league.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Here's a question for you all. If Gerrard is on 9 bookings right now (which I think is correct), should he take a deliberate yellow against Sunderland on Wednesday? It'd mean he misses the games against Spurs and West Ham, but be available again for the next game after that, which would be Man City at home.

No he shouldn't even think about it. Whatever games he misses should he get another yellow will be massive. No easy games in the business end of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus, I've just looked and Gerrard is on 7 bookings, so unless he gets sent off he will be fine as the bans for yellow cards end after the 31st March.

See all this stuff is head doing, thank god the team don't think like us and just go out and concentrate on the next match at hand. They look supremely confident at the moment, lets hope it stays like that!
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Comment in my FB today that seems to have got a bit of a debate going on the pros and cons, what are opinions here?

Quote -
    With the two most important games of the season to come (Chelsea and Manchester city) at home, I personally think that we need a player with presence in our midfield to help stop their attacks.

Now I know our defensive midfielder is Lucas (although now it's actually Gerrard) but what if we put Sakho in midfield alongside Gerrard against City and Chelsea? Now I know this isn't his preferred position but I just feel we need a non-nonsense tackling player who is also able to header the ball if need be in the midfield against those two teams.

Is this a good idea or am I overthinking things? Please keep in mind that if we lose any of those two games then our title hopes are up.

/Quote end.

Well I agree with seellee, it's best to worry about them nearer the time or you can drive yourself to distraction with all the variables.

However, to give you an answer, I agree the physical threat from Toure in particular is going to be an issue; he is after all a genuine world class player capable of ruining anyone's day. But, I can't really agree that Sakho in midfield would be the answer. I actually think he could end up being a bit of a liability. It really takes top class midfielder to play against a top class midfielder.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »

Like seellee said, he's only on 7 at the moment, but the cutoff date for receiving 10 yellows is actually the 2nd Sunday in April (see HERE), which happens to be the 13th of April - our fixture against City.

We have 3 games between now and then against Sunderland, Spurs and West Ham, so Stevie needs to be careful not to pick up 3 yellows in those games. If he even gets his 10th yellow vs City I think he'll miss the Chelsea game as it says on the FA website that the dates are inclusive, so he really needs to be careful.
  • Options
    TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raheem Stirling looked well peeved at Suarez for not passing to him when Suarez
    Scored his last goal, if theirs one fault in Suarez game it's that he's too greedy at times
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Talkman wrote: »
    Scored his last goal, if theirs one fault in Suarez game it's that he's too greedy at times

Sterling will understand, I'm sure. If it's 1-1 or something then Suarez passes that, but when a striker's on a hat-trick it's a different story.

He's not only the Premier League's top scorer, he also has the most assists, so he clearly has no qualms about setting up his team mates to score. :)
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    He's the best striker in the prem, he's the current top scorer, we're stuffing the opposition, he's one on one with the keeper and he's on his hat trick - of course he takes it on himself!
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member

Total rubbish tbh.

Nearly every goal Sterling has scored this season has been set up by Luis if you check - and I do not regard Luis as greedy really and nor should Raheem - as often he will pass when going by himself could be just as good.

If I was to criticise him it might be that he has a tendency to have a go at Sturridge for not passing to him - more often than not he has a case and I have no problem with him doing so - but equally he should be able to take it when Daniel or others have a go at him when he does not pass to them when he could have done and at times he does not seem to be able to take it - but really as most know I do love almost everything about Luis (apart from his occasional tendency to bite opponents). Leaving aside his ability, his will to win and unwillingness to miss any minutes of any game have had a monumental effect on his team mates and the mentality of LFC.

He has 28 goals in 26 appearances - more than 1 goal a game which nobody in PL history has ever achieved so assuming he plays 33 games the target should be 34+ goals if he is to achieve history - but really as Luis himself would say the bigger target is the PL title for the club not his own personal glory - be it scoring records, player of the season or anything else..
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 'scum' comment was only meant tongue-in-cheek but I apologise to anyone who thought it was out of order.

Good boy, don't let it happen again.

Anyway, it's been over six hours since the last Manchester United thread you started, isn't the next one long overdue?
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Suarez has a very good relationship with Stirling, maybe he sees himself as a mentor. He always seems to celebrate a Stirling goal with more gusto than anyone elses.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    He's the best striker in the prem, he's the current top scorer, we're stuffing the opposition, he's one on one with the keeper and he's on his hat trick - of course he takes it on himself!

Exactly!

How someone can call Suarez greedy for that is laughable in the extreme
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    But no one on the United thread are using words like "scum" to describe us. Imagine if someone on their thread calling us "victims", or "dippers" (as Scribbles mentions).

People using such words to describe fans add nothing to any discussion. They just lose credibility.
    Thats incorrect Munch. Ive come across man Utd fans on this forum referring to us as "Dippers". I remember pulling them up on it only to be told it was in their supporters thread - like that makes it acceptable! Did happen though I assure you.
    Eye Itch wrote: »
    It's apparent from the sheer number of posts/threads about Manchester United on this forum you have, that your sole intention here is to bait and wind up the supporters. My advice, whether you want it or not, is to remove yourself from this forum for a while, before the owners ban you themselves.
    You seem pretty clued up for someone with about ten posts. duplicate account or PBU? oh let me guess longtime lurker ^_^
    Now I know our defensive midfielder is Lucas (although now it's actually Gerrard) but what if we put Sakho in midfield alongside Gerrard against City and Chelsea? Now I know this isn't his preferred position but I just feel we need a non-nonsense tackling player who is also able to header the ball if need be in the midfield against those two teams.

Is this a good idea or am I overthinking things? Please keep in mind that if we lose any of those two games then our title hopes are up.

/Quote end.
    No No, not for me. Not only is it not his preferred position but we have no idea how he would be in that position, we are not at the stage of the season to try such things out.

Oh dear!

I'm annoyed at Sterling for looking peeved and putting his hands on his head actually. Suarez had no reason whatsoever to apologise afterwards to Sterling. He scored! Had he missed thats different, but a player on his hat trick last seconds of injury time why the hell should he pass?

He scored, Sterling should have been delighted for him. If anything Rodgers should question why Raheem didnt feel instant elation at the goal.

Anyway to the real reason I logged on...

Brilliant end result yesterday, a bit frustrated at our defending but what quality we are going forward. Exquisite back pass from Sturridge for Suarez's goal, nice to see the compliment returned for Sturridge's goal. Johnson had a very good game so hopefully over his niggles now. 3 points at home to Sunderland now please reds :)
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Malbren wrote: »
    Thats incorrect Munch. Ive come across man Utd fans on this forum referring to us as "Dippers". I remember pulling them up on it only to be told it was in their supporters thread - like that makes it acceptable! Did happen though I assure you.

I never said it didn't happen...I just said imagine if it happened now (doesn't happen as much as it may have done in the past). If someone used such labels in the United thread people would think less of the person using it.

I didn't say something happened or didn't happen, so I can't be correct or incorrect. :)
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Read an article earlier which was pointing out Suarez and Sturridge are well on course to break the Premier League goals for a partnership mark set by Cole and Beardsley back in 93/94 season. They managed 55 between them, our SaS are currently on 47 with Blackburn's old SAS of Sutton/Shearer's 49 soon to be surpassed.

The Premier Leagues best ever partnership would be quite an accolade for both of them to throw at their critics. I wonder if they can break 60, a mark that might never be bettered?
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member

Oh dear!

I'm annoyed at Sterling for looking peeved and putting his hands on his head actually. Suarez had no reason whatsoever to apologise afterwards to Sterling. He scored! Had he missed thats different, but a player on his hat trick last seconds of injury time why the hell should he pass?

He scored, Sterling should have been delighted for him. If anything Rodgers should question why Raheem didnt feel instant elation at the goal.

)

Well said

on the bolded bit- even if he missed, it was the last attack anyway so would have been no real consequences bar +1 extra on GD but frankly winning is by far the main priority!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I never said it didn't happen...I just said imagine if it happened now (doesn't happen as much as it may have done in the past). If someone used such labels in the United thread people would think less of the person using it.

I didn't say something happened or didn't happen, so I can't be correct or incorrect. :)

Well you did say that nobody on the Utd thread was calling us scum, victims, dippers etc....thats what I meant by incorrect, because thay have called us dippers!

Anyway I suppose what people call eachother on a forum shouldnt concern me really, all I care about on here is Liverpool inning the title :D , if not top 3 ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Well said

on the bolded bit- even if he missed, it was the last attack anyway so would have been no real consequences bar +1 extra on GD but frankly winning is by far the main priority!

True. Even if he missed as you say the game was won and he had every right to try for his hat trick. :)

But the fact he did score made it more puzzling why Sterling was "peeved"! Team game Raheem!
  • Options
    TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised at Beardsley and cole's stats I remember them being good
    But didn't realise they was that good together

Souness biggest mistake was selling beardsley I used to love watching him play
    Him and Barnes together were unbelievable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised at Beardsley and cole's stats I remember them being good
    But didn't realise they was that good together

Souness biggest mistake was selling beardsley I used to love watching him play
    Him and Barnes together were unbelievable

Now there is a comment of yours I will fully agree with :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well you did say that nobody on the Utd thread was calling us scum, victims, dippers etc....thats what I meant by incorrect, because thay have called us dippers!

Anyway I suppose what people call eachother on a forum shouldnt concern me really, all I care about on here is Liverpool inning the title :D , if not top 3 ;-)

Well I'm not exactly incorrect, am I? Since nobody is currently calling us scum on the United thread. :p
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You seem pretty clued up for someone with about ten posts. duplicate account or PBU? oh let me guess longtime lurker ^_^

If a month is what you call a long time lurker, then I suppose I am. It's funny what you can see about a user when you click on their name, try it.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can actually see us losing out by one point to City - unless some other team takes points from us. Basically, if we win every point we can now, it could still be out of our hands - we just have to hope City lose that point to someone else. And to be brutally frank, I would rather it wasn't Man U - they will never, ever let us forget that they 'helped' us win the league! :o
    And you're bothered by that? If we win the league il be on too much of a high to care about any strange theories other fans came up with
    Not a fault at all when you are top scorer and top assist provider :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking at the Opta stats on the LFC website, the "total clearances" category has Skrtel at the top with 322 clearances, with Cardiff's Steven Caulker the closest with 274.
This discussion has been closed.