Options

Unbearably slow speeds, BT not helping at all...help!

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    silkdragon wrote: »
    I had the exact same trouble with B.T.
    I don't think that you do have the same problem as the OP because the OP's line is fine. You probably are are "too far from the telephone exchange" for decent performance. ADSL speed is function of the length and quality of the telephone line. You would have found slow speeds with ANY ADSL based ISP that you chose. Virgin Cable use a completely different technology.
  • Options
    silkdragonsilkdragon Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that you do have the same problem as the OP because the OP's line is fine. You probably are are "too far from the telephone exchange" for decent performance. ADSL speed is function of the length and quality of the telephone line. You would have found slow speeds with ANY ADSL based ISP that you chose. Virgin Cable use a completely different technology.

Oh! o.k. then. if you say so, slow speed is slow speed whatever causes it. :)

Hope op can get a solution for their slow speed.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a phrase, not quite. As I have said before, although Sky Connect, for example, is BASED on IPStream is NOT, for example simply a rebadged BT Total Bradoband.

IPStream is a BTW product that supplies for example the DSLAMs at the local exchange, to which the ISPs' subscribers' modem/routers connect over the local Loop, From the exchange, the data flows over BTW's network to the ISP's network. Some ISPs (typically those with large LLU customer bases) simply, do not rent enough bandwidth from BT to supply an adequate service at peak times.

As I have said before, many ISP have products based on IPStream and they work perfectly well. However others appear to woefully under-spec. their connection leading to the complaint about low speed at peak times.

Based on these observations my advice to anyone on an excahnge that does not have an LLU presence is to choose an ISP that does not have significant LLU customer base because they seem to treat their non-LLU subscribers as second class citizens.

Listen to this fella he knows what he's talking about. Everything he's said is spot on.
  • Options
    banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be said that in the past some exchanges did suffer from congestion. However in recent times, BT has got better and Sky Connect appears to have got MUCH worse.

I have BT at home (Rural exchange with no LLU presence.) and there is almost no discernible difference between peak and non-peak performance.

Yeah. When I was with Sky, I asked my next door neighbour who is with BT how his Broadband is and said that they have around 1.5Mbps on average and his daugher downloads films and music on a regular basis with no drop in speeds in the evening and weekend.

This confirmed to me that I was paying Sky for a service that was almost unusable to me. Having worked all day I only logged on to check e-mails, have a nose on forums like this etc and all sites were crawling. Never even bothered with You Tube etc as it was a waste of time. If I had time off during the week I would get download speeds of around 1.5Mbps then die right off around 5pm.

So I paid until the commitment period and I was off. The tried to offer a discount on line rental and service but I'd had enough. With Vodafone (work) I pay around £3 less a month and apart from blip earlier in the week (which is now resolved) have had great download speeds 24/7.

I did hear that Sky Broadband's Connect service is stretched to capacity and many exchanges that support LLU still to this day do not have the old Easynet / Sky on there so time they pulled their fingers out !
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    It has to be said that in the past some exchanges did suffer from congestion. However in recent times, BT has got better and Sky Connect appears to have got MUCH worse.

I have BT at home (Rural exchange with no LLU presence.) and there is almost no discernible difference between peak and non-peak performance.

That is what I have never been able to figure out with our exchange. For some inexplicable reason when they built our housing development they gave it its own exchange. There are no other properties connected to our exchange except houses on the development, hence no congestion, always flagged green. Now it's not as if our development is in the middle of nowhere as it's merely tagged onto the end of existing housing i.e. urban sprawl. The older housing not 300 yards from us use a different exchange which is a full LLU M3 exchange. I've never quite understood why we needed our own exchange though.

I have been tempted to go back to BT but the trouble is once I jump ship that's it and if it's still rubbish then I end up paying a hell of a lot more than the fiver per month I pay now to Sky.

I would ask neighbours for their experience with BT but everyone else appears to have jumped ship to cheaper providers as well.