The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 18th December - Sky Sports 4

Spanish Football

Mark Bolton presented alongside Gerry Armstrong

Espanyol v Barcelona - Jon Driscoll and Terry Gibson
    Real Sociedad v Valencia - Jon Driscoll and David Phillips

I guess someone must have been stuck in the snow today, what with Drisco Jon working both games of a double header.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 18th December - BBC One

Match of the Day

Gabby Logan presented alongside Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer

Sunderland v Bolton Wanderers - Alistair Mann
    Blackburn Rovers v West Ham United - Steve Bower

The Football League Show

Manish Bhasin presented alongside Leroy Rosenior, with David Garrido doing the e-mails

Ipswich Town v Leicester City - Dan O'Hagan
    Leeds United v Queens Park Rangers - Mark Clemmit (reporting)
    Derby County v Reading - Tony Gubba

Round-ups - Paul Walker and Jonathan Legard :eek: (When's Dave Beckett coming back?)
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,543
    Forum Member
    Can anyone access "Part 4" of the Football Commentators Thread? It says I am not permitted to access it. Please respond because it's our largest thread and it has lots of historical info that would otherwise be lost.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=937318&page=652
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,697
    Forum Member
    I didn't see any of their Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund coverage today, but at a guess I would say Angus was probably joined by Tony Jeffers.

I say this as the latest message on the Eurosport 2 Bundesliga Facebook page detailing their coverage only mentions Angus, Tony and Andreas Evagora as being involving in today's coverage. I'm guessing Angus and Tony did both live games with Andreas commentating on the Wolfsburg v Hoffenheim highlights during the hour in between. That would seem the most likely scenario.

Out of interest, was Angus the main commentator or summariser? I ask this as Tony was doing the commentary with Angus being his co-commentator on Friday night, but the roles were reserved for St. Pauli v Mainz.

I think Angus was the co-commentator today, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Can anyone access "Part 4" of the Football Commentators Thread? It says I am not permitted to access it. Please respond because it's our largest thread and it has lots of historical info that would otherwise be lost.

Cant open it either!!
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,726
    Forum Member
    A couple of Monday Night Football games went due to 'floodlight failure' during the 1997/98 season (Wimbledon v Arsenal and West Ham v Crystal Palace).

And an FA Cup fifth-round tie between Nottingham Forest and Tottenham succumbed to a blizzard in February 1996.

Can't think of any since then, but I'm sure someone out there can put me right!

Also in 1997 Derby v Wimbledon due to floodlight failure.

Derby were 2-1 up and didn't win the replayed fixture :(
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,098
    Forum Member
    Surprised that BBC2 still shows MOTD2 being on tonight.
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Surprised that BBC2 still shows MOTD2 being on tonight.

Whne I checked yesterday it had been replaced by an extended QI, strange that they have changed it back.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN have switched games this morning - presumably the Ajax game is off so Steve Bower will have had to quickly prepare for Lazio v Udinese. This is potentially a very good chance for ESPN to showcase their European coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nick G wrote: »
    ESPN have switched games this morning - presumably the Ajax game is off

It is indeed off: http://english.ajax.nl/News/Archive/Article/Ajax-Feyenoord-cancelled-1.htm
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't open it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    And the "Contact Us" form suddenly isn't available too...

It's a conspiracy :cool: :o

No Sunday afternoon football today: first time in a while... thank goodness for the family and the friends :)
  • Options
    jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Tim Caple commentating on the World Club Cup Final.

EDIT: Simon Thomas is presenting is presenting the live coverage of Ipswich vs. Leicester with James Scowcroft (yeah, him) and Peter Beagrie.

Tim Caple is the worst commentator of al time.
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,697
    Forum Member
    Frank. wrote: »
    No Sunday afternoon football today: first time in a while... thank goodness for the family and the friends :)

What are you talking about? There's loads of European footy on.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    jimmylad wrote: »

Worst well-known working commentator who made it to national TV, anyway. There are a lot worse on local/hospital radio, a lot worse who failed to 'make it' altogether, and a lot worse who have gone before...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmylad wrote: »

Totally disagree - I think he's excellent. He's witty, well-informed and has a strong commentary voice. I've never understood why he gets such a bad rap on here, if anything I would like to hear more commentators like him who are knowledgeable about football around the world.

For my money, Steve Wilson is the worst commentator on national TV today. I have to mute the telly when he's on, his voice just goes right through me.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't a live Scottish game go in that way last season?

Yes, it was a Rangers game, a Sunday 1.30 kick-off. Sadly I can't remember which one it was as despite being the only live match on at the time - a rare occasion where an SPL match isn't opposite an English game - I, er, decided I'd rather not watch anything than watch that. And then it was abandoned, which was a shame, because I like an abandonment.

Anyway, well done to Stuart Attwell for keeping Ipswich vs Leicester going last night, which was brilliant fun. It reminded me of Tromso vs Chelsea on Channel Five in 1997, my favourite ever televised match.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SPL match was abandoned was Dundee Utd v Rangers, and was due to a waterlogged pitch.

BBC Scotland also had an SPL game suffer the same fate in 2003 when they had the live contract. Dundee v Hibs was abandoned due to snow, despite the efforts of the then touchline reporter Chick Young helping to clear the lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminded me of Tromso vs Chelsea on Channel Five in 1997, my favourite ever televised match.

One of my favourite obscure matches too - it was great fun.

For some reason, Adam Darke's (Five's pitchside reporter/interviewer at the time) vox pops with various Tromso fans during the build-up sticks in my mind. They were chucking snowballs around and some of them were so confident - they were certain Tromso would win. Darke and the team in the studio poo-pooed them - yet to my surprise, they managed to pull it off! Tromso were 3-2 winners on the night, although went out after a heavy defeat in the return leg.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminded me of Tromso vs Chelsea on Channel Five in 1997, my favourite ever televised match.

Just for those of us slightly younger, what happened in that game? Any clips?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, with the Beeb not showing any more football this side of Christmas, it's time for the (n)ever-popular twice-yearly post where I list the BBC commentators so far this season and how many games they've done. So here's the season so far. As usual, I'm counting all games in the Premier League, Football League and League Cup that have been shown live or in highlights form with a commentator, off-tube or not (including those shown the following day) but not those where only the goals are shown as part of a round-up with a reporter's voice-over, or overdubbed for Goal of the Month or Football Focus.

So, so far this season, the figures are as follows..

Guy Mowbray 28
    Jonathan Pearce 26
    Martin Fisher 23
    John Roder 23
    Alistair Mann 20
    Steve Bower 19
    Steve Wilson 19
    Simon Brotherton 16
    John Motson 15
    Dan O'Hagan 13
    Tony Gubba 8
    Rob Maclean 3
    John Murray 2
    Nigel Adderley 1
    Darren Fletcher 1
    Ian Gwyn Hughes 1
    Kevin Keatings 1
    Conor McNamara 1
    Paul Mitchell 1
    Mike Sewell 1
    Paul Walker 1

We can also split that up, to Match of the Day alone...

Guy Mowbray 25
    Jonathan Pearce 21
    Steve Bower 17
    Alistair Mann 17
    Steve Wilson 17
    John Motson 15
    Simon Brotherton 14
    Martin Fisher 12
    John Roder 11
    Rob Maclean 3
    John Murray 2
    Dan O'Hagan 2
    Nigel Adderley 1
    Darren Fletcher 1
    Ian Gwyn Hughes 1
    Conor McNamara 1
    Paul Mitchell 1

The Football League Show alone...

Dan O'Hagan 11
    Martin Fisher 8
    Tony Gubba 8
    John Roder 8
    Alistair Mann 3
    Jonathan Pearce 2
    Steve Bower 1
    Simon Brotherton 1
    Kevin Keatings 1
    Guy Mowbray 1
    Mike Sewell 1
    Paul Walker 1
    Steve Wilson 1

The League Cup Show alone...

John Roder 4
    Martin Fisher 3
    Guy Mowbray 2
    Jonathan Pearce 2
    Steve Bower 1
    Simon Brotherton 1
    Steve Wilson 1

And for live games...

Jonathan Pearce 2
    Steve Bower 1
    Simon Brotherton 1
    Guy Mowbray 1
    Steve Wilson 1

So, perhaps surprising to see that Steve Wilson is quite far down the list, maybe he's had other stuff on. He's certainly done his fair share of big games, though, No surprise to see Martin Fisher and John Roder with virtually identical records as they joined the Beeb at the same time (in 2004), do similiarly middling matches and, as far as I'm concerned, sound identical as well. I can never tell them apart, other than Roder has the high voice and Fisher the low voice. Note all of Gubba's matches are from the Football League, while we won't be hearing IGH again as he's left the Beeb.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    The SPL match was abandoned was Dundee Utd v Rangers, and was due to a waterlogged pitch.

BBC Scotland also had an SPL game suffer the same fate in 2003 when they had the live contract. Dundee v Hibs was abandoned due to snow, despite the efforts of the then touchline reporter Chick Young helping to clear the lines.

Along with a scene of CY looking like the Adominable Snowman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Just for those of us slightly younger, what happened in that game? Any clips?

Yes! Sadly one's in appalling quallity...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRk9iBk4Obs

..and one's in Norwegian...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQNKTJDVs4

...but you get the general idea. It was live on Chanel Five and I've got the whole thing on tape, in appalling quality taped off analogue, when they repeated it in the middle of the night n 2003. Jonathan Pearce and Paul Elliott commentated for Five and they spent the whole match incredulous it hadn't been abandoned. I also remember they were commentating from on top of a hot dog stand.

Anyway, there were about twenty stoppages to get people with brooms on the pitch, and as you see Chelsea lost, but won the second leg 7-1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky were originally going to be doing some stuff from Afghanistan today, including live link ups to the forces over there, with pre and post match comment from members of the forces for both games today. However, despite the games being called off, they've still got an hour live programme focussing on the forces, with a live link up to Geoff Shreeves over there. All credit to Sky for not just deciding to link up with the forces for today's games, but for still going ahead with it despite the postponed games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 19th December - Bundesliga

World Feed/Bwin/Bet365

Bayer Leverkusen v SC Freiburg - Gary Preston
    VfB Stuttgart v Bayern Munchen - Phil Bonney

On the subject of snowy games, today's game at the Bay Arena was much like Leverkusen's match v Atletico Madrid in the Europa League on Thursday which was on ITV4. Very snowy to the point of unplayable in the first half, but conditions improved in the second half. Good game nonetheless.

I know Gary Preston is an acquired taste but I enjoyed his commentary earlier, he had some fun when reacting to shots of various fans dressed in Christmas garb.
This discussion has been closed.