Options

The Restaurant 2009

Comments

• Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK my heart went with Chris and Nathan in the final but if I was investing in a new restaurant at the moment my money would go on JJ and James.

We're in an economic recession, being a good chef isn't enough: concept is king.

The idea of a kind of British Tapas with drinks that complement is a good and commercial one.

They wouldn't have come near winning in previous years but times have changed and become a lot harder.

JJ won't be cooking in their new restaurant but I suspect that he might come up with really interesting ideas.

As good as Chris is I don't at the moment see a restaurant run by him and Nathan lasting that long.
  • Options
    OlgaChristieOlgaChristie Posts: 15,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scaramanga wrote: »
    I'm so disappointed in this 3rd series - no wonder the ratings didn't even reach 1m.

The couples all seemed highly uninspiring from the off, and the winners came across as a pair of posh wide boys to whom food was a mere sideline to their passion for pretty coloured beverages.

Just embarrassing really.

Summed it up well. What was the point of last night`s challenge cooking at the country house if RB was more interested in the "concept" rather than who could cook (and let`s face it your average 12 year old could cook better than the gormless JJ who is so incredibly lazy he bought in vegetables rather than taking the time to go and dig them up out of the garden :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    What an utter joke. I think people are so annoyed about this because it seemed fixed weeks ago and those two are the most dishonest, blagging liars I've seen on this programme.

- Why do people on here keep saying their concept was good? What was it again....picnics? We haven't heard them so much as mention it for about four weeks! No, their concept was nothing, zero, bugger all, except 'when it all goes wrong, make cocktails'. And as Chris said, they've played that card every week and got away with it every week. When the Nigerian resturant ladies were kicked out for abandonding their concept, where was the 'picnic' concept that week? Nowhere! Was it mentioned? No.

- All of a sudden, Chris and Nathan's concept is said to be poor. Since when? This was the first time they'd said that.

- Did anyone else notice the kitchen JJ got to work in and the one Chris was in? JJ has the huge, magnificent, beautiful kitchen, Chris gets a cramped little box room with a tiny table. Hmm, very fair.

- Lady Thingy expressly told them to pick veg from the garden. JJ phoned an order in. Was he picked up on it at all? No. Would others have been slated for it? Yes.

- James went out, leaving his waitress to do everything. Good Front of House? No. Was he picked up on it? No.
    Would others have been slated for it? Yes.

- He then came back with supermarket salmon in a packet. Was he picked up on it? No. Would others have been slated for it? Yes.

- Funny how the two guests came late, making Chris' soup go tepid, wasn't it?

- People keep praising them for 'thinking on their feet'. By making cocktails? Without JJ's cocktail making skills what would they have done? Thinking on their feet my backside - I call it blagging and cheating.

- In any case, that was also Chris' first ever attempt at making a soufflé, and he passed with flying colours. If that's not thinking on your feet, I don't know what is!

- This idea that JJ can be trained. He started off a terrible cook and finished a terrible cook. Did he improve in the series? Nope. Did he make more of an effort? Nope.

- As has already been said on here, Raymond likes them because they keep bouncing back from disasters, but the disasters shouldn't be there in the first place!

- I honestly believe they were decided upon as the winners weeks ago and since then we have seen them get every favour given to them, huge mistakes ignored that the others would have been kicked out for and this smarmy, dishonest, blagging attitude.

Remember Sarah asking them 'did you bake these yourself? JJ replied 'let me tell you about my grandmother.....

Remember the cake JJ didn't bake? The voiceover said he didn't bake it, only for the following week for us to hear 'so far, JJ has baked a cake....'.

As far as I'm concerned, passing off food as your own and deliberately ignoring the rules set is just as bad as Bodger and Badger not doing a task and these idiots should have been out for it.

I can't believe I've watched a restaurant competition where the ones who can cook superbly, do everything right, do everything honestly and make brilliant progress (Nathan was a completely different person at the end) are left out in favour of people who just cannot be bothered cooking.

Absolutely fixed, conning claptrap and I really wish I hadn't wasted so much time expecting it to be a fair competition. I won't be watching this rubbish again and as far as I'm concerned RB, Sarah and David have zero credibility left.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard anything about the result on radio 5Live or seen anything on BBC TV news so far this morning (but I can't be in 2 places at once ;) ) - and Googling brings up no press reports :confused:

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Satchmo wrote: »
    Sends out a great signal to any youth watching the show...lie, blag, bullshit and don't put yourselves out too much and that'll win you prizes. Graft and you'll get kicked in the balls

Spot on.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scaramanga wrote: »
    I'm so disappointed in this 3rd series - no wonder the ratings didn't even reach 1m.

i haven't seen the last couple of weeks ratings but prior to that it was getting ratings around the 2 million mark (just under) which isn't that different to last year.

Just in the interests of fairness.
    Much as I disagree with the result I am a bit taken a back by the hostility of some people here. Are people really sending nasty comments to RB about this? A bit of perspective is needed. It's only a tv show at the end of the day!:eek:

If one feels the need to complain, it's more appropriate to complain to the BBC rather than RB directly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manc2008 wrote: »
    What an utter joke. I think people are so annoyed about this because it seemed fixed weeks ago and those two are the most dishonest, blagging liars I've seen on this programme.

- Why do people on here keep saying their concept was good? What was it again....picnics? We haven't heard them so much as mention it for about four weeks! No, their concept was nothing, zero, bugger all, except 'when it all goes wrong, make cocktails'. And as Chris said, they've played that card every week and got away with it every week. When the Nigerian resturant ladies were kicked out for abandonding their concept, where was the 'picnic' concept that week? Nowhere! Was it mentioned? No.

- All of a sudden, Chris and Nathan's concept is said to be poor. Since when? This was the first time they'd said that.

- Did anyone else notice the kitchen JJ got to work in and the one Chris was in? JJ has the huge, magnificent, beautiful kitchen, Chris gets a cramped little box room with a tiny table. Hmm, very fair.

- Lady Thingy expressly told them to pick veg from the garden. JJ phoned an order in. Was he picked up on it at all? No. Would others have been slated for it? Yes.

- James went out, leaving his waitress to do everything. Good Front of House? No. Was he picked up on it? No.
    Would others have been slated for it? Yes.

- He then came back with supermarket salmon in a packet. Was he picked up on it? No. Would others have been slated for it? Yes.

- Funny how the two guests came late, making Chris' soup go tepid, wasn't it?

- People keep praising them for 'thinking on their feet'. By making cocktails? Without JJ's cocktail making skills what would they have done? Thinking on their feet my backside - I call it blagging and cheating.

- In any case, that was also Chris' first ever attempt at making a soufflé, and he passed with flying colours. If that's not thinking on your feet, I don't know what is!

- This idea that JJ can be trained. He started off a terrible cook and finished a terrible cook. Did he improve in the series? Nope. Did he make more of an effort? Nope.

- As has already been said on here, Raymond likes them because they keep bouncing back from disasters, but the disasters shouldn't be there in the first place!

- I honestly believe they were decided upon as the winners weeks ago and since then we have seen them get every favour given to them, huge mistakes ignored that the others would have been kicked out for and this smarmy, dishonest, blagging attitude.

Remember Sarah asking them 'did you bake these yourself? JJ replied 'let me tell you about my grandmother.....

Remember the cake JJ didn't bake? The voiceover said he didn't bake it, only for the following week for us to hear 'so far, JJ has baked a cake....'.

As far as I'm concerned, passing off food as your own and deliberately ignoring the rules set is just as bad as Bodger and Badger not doing a task and these idiots should have been out for it.

I can't believe I've watched a restaurant competition where the ones who can cook superbly, do everything right, do everything honestly and make brilliant progress (Nathan was a completely different person at the end) are left out in favour of people who just cannot be bothered cooking.

Absolutely fixed, conning claptrap and I really wish I hadn't wasted so much time expecting it to be a fair competition. I won't be watching this rubbish again and as far as I'm concerned RB, Sarah and David have zero credibility left.

You've just said everything I wanted to say

So annoyed about the result. Now I'm not exactly a fan of Nathan BUT he had shown improvement and Chris was the standout of the competition for me, always performed consistently, worked hard, good attitude.
    JJ and James, to me, had shown no improvements, and just continually relied on blagging and lying their ways through tasks.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    ........ It's only a tv show at the end of the day!

Just in the interests of fairness, did you see the effort the other contestants put in and the stresses and strains they were put under? Tell them it was "only a TV show". Shouldn't they have been briefed from the start that it didn't matter whether they could cook or not? Then they could have directed their efforts in a direction more likely to have made them "contenders". Or maybe had second thoughts about entering at all.

parthena
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    JuJus wrote: »
    You've just said everything I wanted to say

So annoyed about the result. Now I'm not exactly a fan of Nathan BUT he had shown improvement and Chris was the standout of the competition for me, always performed consistently, worked hard, good attitude.
    JJ and James, to me, had shown no improvements, and just continually relied on blagging and lying their ways through tasks.

Yup, Nathan was learning, and required a damm sight less training the JJ to become a competant front of house. Chris put his heart and soul into the cooking for nothing.

So, JJ can do a great cocktail, fantastic for him, but if I go to a restaurant and order a nice pudding, that's what I want, not a flipping cocktail, if I wanted one I'd order it. Mind you, it's not like JJ is going to be doing any cooking at the new place.

Fab concept RB, cocktails with finger food, sounds rather like a cocktail bar to me - wonder why nobody's thought of that before :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RB's Twitter Page says

"I guess that a lot of you may be incensed about my choice of winners. Just give me 1/2 hour, and I will come back to you. RB"

http://twitter.com/raymond_blanc

That was over 30 minutes ago
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be nothing on Breakfast. Perhaps even the BBC have realised what an appalling bloody sham they’ve broadcast.

Well said manc2008 .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mind you, it's not like JJ is going to be doing any cooking at the new place.

That's bang on. They'll get JJ straight behind the bar and hire a proper chef - so what was this programme for...?
  • Options
    iris_de_baumeiris_de_baume Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    i haven't seen the last couple of weeks ratings but prior to that it was getting ratings around the 2 million mark (just under) which isn't that different to last year.

Much as I disagree with the result I am a bit taken a back by the hostility of some people here. Are people really sending nasty comments to RB about this? A bit of perspective is needed. It's only a tv show at the end of the day!:eek:

If one feels the need to complain, it's more appropriate to complain to the BBC rather than RB directly.

it's about a million down on last year .... but x-factor apart most of the reality genre seems a bit past its sell-by-date audience-wise.

Apart from the obvious difficulty that those of us without taste-o-vision have in pronouncing this dish delicious and that dish disgusting, I'd have thought tuning in at the start of the programme, when the intro said EVERY WEEK that the show was about what it takes to survive in the high street would help.

That's pointed straight at the Winkers as the others have had their emotional moments ... and left.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Apart from the obvious difficulty that those of us without taste-o-vision have in pronouncing this dish delicious and that dish disgusting, I'd have thought tuning in at the start of the programme, when the intro said EVERY WEEK that the show was about what it takes to survive in the high street would help.

So why give them a task to cook at a stately home?
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    RB's Twitter Page says

"I guess that a lot of you may be incensed about my choice of winners. Just give me 1/2 hour, and I will come back to you. RB"

I've just clicked that link and am being told "Something is technically wrong".

Too bloody right it is!
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    RB's Twitter Page says

I don't think anything he says on the matter will restore his integrity.

Why bother to have them cook at all if all he ever wanted was a concept and managers?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand now why Le Blank’s grub is permanently reduced in my local Waitrose. It’s a protest vote!

I would have thought ITV might have taken the opportunity to wheel on Rhodes or gobshite Wozzer to slag off this idiotic decision. Missed a chance to take a pot-shot there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Raymond liked the concept will keep the resturant and then edge out the scamming blaggers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So why give them a task to cook at a stately home?

... or an afternoon tea with one waiter/ress ... or preparing sushi at yo Sushi.

The tasks were more Generation Game than Masterchef, designed for pratfalls and incidents ... with the handy outcome that those of dodgy temperament would sort themselves out.

Worked a treat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RB's Twitter Page says

I believe he was partying last night at the London Cocktail Club. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... or an afternoon tea with one waiter/ress ... or preparing sushi at yo Sushi.

The tasks were more Generation Game than Masterchef, designed for pratfalls and incidents ... with the handy outcome that those of dodgy temperament would sort themselves out.

Worked a treat.

Yes, and the ones that passed with flying colours lost, whilst the ones that were god-awful at pretty much everything won becasue....they make cocktails!

It's like Homer Simpson decided the winner. 'Cocktails....mmmmmm'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, and the ones that passed with flying colours lost, whilst the ones that were god-awful at pretty much everything won becasue....they make cocktails!

It's like Homer Simpson decided the winner. 'Cocktails....mmmmmm'.

I think Homer was the winner. :D
  • Options
    honeypothoneypot Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this episode, it had laugh out loud moments, disasters aplenty and a chance for the contestants to show how they have developed through the series.
    Nathan who for me was the the FoH from hell in the beginning showed although still unpolished he had potential to continue his learning.
    Chris a reasonable good chef to start with had mistakes but seemed to learn from them and was never afraid to try, his soufflé seemed excellent for a first attempt.
    Then we had the blaggers, shown for what they truly were tonight, chancers and to some extent cheats, it was a shame the room wasn't full of tee totalers.
    Surely I thought even though we have witnessed a heavily biased series it has all been for this, hard work and a scope to learn will shine through and blaggers will be shown the door.

The last five minutes were such a let down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    honeypot wrote: »

It was all set up for it wasn't it? When the soufflé disaster happened I said 'uh-oh, I smell cocktails....'
    I half-expected to hear the Superman theme tune when they were served.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    honeypot wrote: »
    I enjoyed this episode, it had laugh out loud moments, disasters aplenty and a chance for the contestants to show how they have developed through the series.
    Nathan who for me was the the FoH from hell in the beginning showed although still unpolished he had potential to continue his learning.
    Chris a reasonable good chef to start with had mistakes but seemed to learn from them and was never afraid to try, his soufflé seemed excellent for a first attempt.
    Then we had the blaggers, shown for what they truly were tonight, chancers and to some extent cheats, it was a shame the room wasn't full of tee totalers.
    Surely I thought even though we have witnessed a heavily biased series it has all been for this, hard work and a scope to learn will shine through and blaggers will be shown the door.

I suspect Lady Arran may be a bit of a goer. :o

And always prepared to give the butler a second chance, it seems.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/04/28/tags-awfully-115875-21314297/
This discussion has been closed.