The retro Tardis

2»

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cel1084 wrote: »
    I don't think it matters what time she re-enters the matrix.. As it sees the future and past and all that good stuff.

Why would she go back to the Matrix through?

She would have to go back to the Extraction Chamber and that's only going to be set up for her at the point in time she left from.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    There is NO WAY it was 1 million per episode. That's what star trek next generation got.

I'm only reporting what I've seen suggested in various places - that Doctor Who had a budget of between £10 - 13 million per season. Recent series have seen budgets cut slightly, one of the reasons for the loss of one episode per season.
    STTNG was made well over 20 years ago, so a budget of 1 million (presumably dollars) would be worth considerably more today.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    There is NO WAY it was 1 million per episode. That's what star trek next generation got.

I heard £1m per episode too.
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat said £1m in an interview a while back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually strangely the Next Generation budget was quite low compared with LA Law made at the same time, the cast were paid a lot less than a lot of the bigger starred series at the time.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The classic tardis was ''based on'' 60s clive sinclair design principles. It had a wobbly 16kbyte ram pack with bent edge connector, so u could never tell how it would respond to the controls ,......
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't it have the big fault locator area from the early Hartnell stories?
    If I remember correctly, only in one serial when the TARDIS was out of control and moving rapidly forward in time to the end of the universe. The Doctor (and Ian???) eventually discover it's a faulty switch and fix it.

There was also a food replicator which Susan demonstrated to Ian and Barbara. I don't know if it could manage Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    The 1960's Tardis had its interior changing around from story to story TBH. So this latest version of it suited it quite respectfully. That console was definitely the reproduction used in An Adventure in Space and Time though - that "Time Rotor" was terrific!
    It had a much better viewing-screen (William Hartnell had an old B&W television pinned on the wall!) ......well he did mention once he used to have a colour screen - but it was needing repair work!
    Lovely to see the old white roundels again, and those big doors!
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, only in one serial when the TARDIS was out of control and moving rapidly forward in time to the end of the universe. The Doctor (and Ian???) eventually discover it's a faulty switch and fix it.

There was also a food replicator which Susan demonstrated to Ian and Barbara. I don't know if it could manage Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.

Yes, but what I was asking if that fault locator area was in the Console Room in Saturday's episode.

:)
  • Options
    trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1960's Tardis had its interior changing around from story to story TBH. So this latest version of it suited it quite respectfully. That console was definitely the reproduction used in An Adventure in Space and Time though - that "Time Rotor" was terrific!
    It had a much better viewing-screen (William Hartnell had an old B&W television pinned on the wall!) ......well he did mention once he used to have a colour screen - but it was needing repair work!
    Lovely to see the old white roundels again, and those big doors!

I agree, I love the dazzlingly white control room.

And as others have mentioned, the lighting was very BRIGHT, especially the back-lighting to the roundels. I thought it looked splendid.
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Is that why they could afford to pay Bill Hartnell a few grand per week?

That was almost David Tennant money, in its day.

£3,000 in 1963 is over £140,000 in today's money. As far as I know the BBC doesn't pay anyone at the Corporation anything like that sum.

During Matt Smith's final season the BBC's accounts claimed no-one at the Corporation was earning £1m or over. So if we assume Smith was earning the maximum possible wage at the time - £999,999 that works out as about £21,000 per week over a 10 month filming season, but he was probably earning less. Maybe Hartnell was on £3,000 per year and you've misremembered. :)
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this actually, it was awesome seeing it back in the show in all it's glory but I must agree the lighting did seem a bit strange and I wasn't watching it in HD.

I'm open to correction here(having not rewatched it) but didn't it have the big fault locator area from the early Hartnell stories?

As for the Classic Console Room looking cheap, what did you expect? Compared to modern day standards, as with most of Classic Who, most things look cheap and outdated. Back then I bet most viewers thought it was cutting edge stuff.

You also need to remember the context of the time the show was made and the sources available back then.

You also need to consider the quality of the TV sets we had back then!
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    £3,000 in 1963 is over £140,000 in today's money. As far as I know the BBC doesn't pay anyone at the Corporation anything like that sum.

During Matt Smith's final season the BBC's accounts claimed no-one at the Corporation was earning £1m or over. So if we assume Smith was earning the maximum possible wage at the time - £999,999 that works out as about £21,000 per week over a 10 month filming season, but he was probably earning less. Maybe Hartnell was on £3,000 per year and you've misremembered. :)

See my post #18 on this thread. Hartnell was apparently on roughly £300 per week, still a lot of money then, but nothing like what Mr Brunel suggested.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You also need to consider the quality of the TV sets we had back then!

Yep, I remember those small telly's everyone used to have! No CGI effects or HD then, just grainy images!
    adams66 wrote: »
    See my post #18 on this thread. Hartnell was apparently on roughly £300 per week, still a lot of money then, but nothing like what Mr Brunel suggested.

I checked out The First Doctor Handbook. Considering each episode averaged out at £2000-£2500 per episode there is no way they could pay Hartnell a grand a week!

Not only that in his first Season he was on £225 per week while William Russell was on about £150 and £550 seemed to cover all the regulars salary.

• Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just think of the interest if he'd invested that money before being trapped in the confession dial!
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's what TNG got back in 1987 (rising to 1.5 million from season 2 onwards). That's worth a lot more than the same value (in pounds) in 2005.

Consider that when TNG was airing, what Doctor Who looked like then. There was rumour that the reason the BBC bought TNG and then never aired it for years was because they were ashamed of how it showed up Doctor Who at the time. That might be nothing more than baseless rumour, but you do have to remember that TNG aired in an era where Who still had cardboard sets.

Comparing TNG's budget to modern Who is pointless. Inflation alone sorts out the obvious discrepancy. TNG is a VERY old show now.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus let's not forget that special effects are cheaper now (inflation wise) due to advances in technology than they were in ST:TNG.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    That's what TNG got back in 1987 (rising to 1.5 million from season 2 onwards). That's worth a lot more than the same value (in pounds) in 2005.

Consider that when TNG was airing, what Doctor Who looked like then. There was rumour that the reason the BBC bought TNG and then never aired it for years was because they were ashamed of how it showed up Doctor Who at the time. That might be nothing more than baseless rumour, but you do have to remember that TNG aired in an era where Who still had cardboard sets.

Comparing TNG's budget to modern Who is pointless. Inflation alone sorts out the obvious discrepancy. TNG is a VERY old show now.

Would someone please give me an example of a cardboard set in any episode of Dr Who
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

Star trek knew it was getting a massive worldwide audience and sales from a commercial tv station . The bbc was hoping doctor who would work. From a public funded organisation
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stop it, feeling ancient now.:o