Talking without winding youself up

2»

Comments

• Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    That link I gave you wasn't about relaxing music, though. Did you check it out? It has a number of podcasts, which talk you through various relaxation techniques. They are produced by the Mental Health Foundation, so they are professionally done. Worth a listen maybe, if you're looking for an answer?

Yes I did - it just made me think of that, possibly because I remember getting a CD of relaxation techniques and music at the end of one of the out patient/CBT courses I attended a few years back.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Yes I did - it just made me think of that, possibly because I remember getting a CD of relaxation techniques and music at the end of one of the out patient/CBT courses I attended a few years back.

Sorry, I haven't even listened to the flippin' things myself! I just thought it would be useful, and wanted you to try it and let me know if it's any good. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Everyone's given great advice, especially Si_Crewe's very interesting Phases I and II (I never knew that!), but this one struck a chord with me:

I recall my ex-husband having a bloody terrible time at work for a good couple of years (due to a bad manager) and every single night he'd come home with tales of woe - from somebody putting two sugars in his tea every time to the manager refusing to let him go to the loo when he was ill but in work one day. Everything that went on in his workplace got him down - even good news was greeted by a downside to it, which he then offloaded to me when he got home.

It's incredibly draining to be on the receiving end, Izzy. I wouldn't think badly of those you're offloading to, just try techniques to get yourself out of the cycle of negativity, even if it's something like... I dunno, a dictaphone (or your mobile) in the car with you as you're driving (or at traffic lights) that you can offload to, to get it all out of your system before you get home. I don't know - maybe others wouldn't agree, but it might be a way to let off steam. Then, things will be more pleasant at home, and you might feel more happy in general?

Its not great at either end really. This is why I think it boils down to being a balancing act of sorts because I don't think its healthy, or great, to keep certain things in (depending on whats happened). I really don't mean to be selfish but the way I am, I'm not good at talking things through with other people and when I'm at work, or elsehwere, I tend to be a bit distant and shrug things off - I don't want to be reactionary or especially emotional in front of lots of other people, professionals etc. for somewhat obvious reasons.

If its a particularly frustrating day, one of those ocassional times when I feel like numerous things have bothered me, accidental mistakes made or/and bad news received etc., then something more like a punching bag would probably be more effective lol :p I'm not at all violent really but I can certainly get quite stressed out. I don't like to listen to the sound of my voice, o I wouldn't really want to use a dictaphone.

I guess its all about putting things in perspective but not just once or twice, every time I have one of 'those' days. Bad habits really do die hard, is all I can think to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Sorry, I haven't even listened to the flippin' things myself! I just thought it would be useful, and wanted you to try it and let me know if it's any good. :blush:

I haven't really listened to them but I'll have another look. I imagine thats the sort of thing that will work well for some people but not everyone, so you might think differently about them, than I do(?).