Options

Wanted Down Under

Comments

• Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I relocated to Kent coast from one part of UK, it's lovely.
    I have only caught up with episode 1 and I think they have so much in Uk,if they downsized their mortgage here, they could spend more time with kids, all an excuse to follow some daft dream. They want too much of a certain lifestyle.Could downsize stuff here, seems more about materialism than people.
    Does the show ever do follow-ups on the people who've been on? I mean do any of them actually move to the place they want to go to - or were they just doing the show for a freebie holiday? I've thought of making some stuff up - a scenario - so me, my husband and son could have a holiday (with no intention of ever moving there).
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,971
    Forum Member
    Does the show ever do follow-ups on the people who've been on? I mean do any of them actually move to the place they want to go to - or were they just doing the show for a freebie holiday? I've thought of making some stuff up - a scenario - so me, my husband and son could have a holiday (with no intention of ever moving there).

They did do a follow-up series, I think it was called WDU Revisited.
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    The programme is about lifestyle and the imagined lifestyle is a bit different to the real thing.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme is about lifestyle and the imagined lifestyle is a bit different to the real thing.

That's just it.
    People have a preconception of how life is over there and the idea of flying them out there is to give them the reality.

I think they need to do a lot more of the "revisited" shows though as it would be interesting to see families that have moved over there and how they're getting on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In a week you wouldn't get an idea of reality, you're just excited and jet lagged and, according to posts on other WDU forums, surrounded by camera crew. I'm sure that the families don't get to spend a few hours shopping because they seem so surprised that bananas are expensive. Bet they don't buy a gallon of petrol either and do they get advised of healthcare costs, residency requirements?

A week is a short break at a very specific time of year: not in the wet and not in the hot, and no basis whatsoever for making such a massive decision. I'm really not surprised that there is such a high return rate generally.
  • Options
    Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As mentioned a revisited show is made usually a couple of years later...you can get an immediate update from the bbc website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s5v8

also if you visit the site it goes into some detail of how the show is made and stresses this is not a relaxing weeks holiday
  • Options
    BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Hi guys
    I love this programme as I was born in Australia and have visited when my daughters were travelling. It's beautiful for a holiday but why does everyone on this programme think life is going to be some much easier then here. You still have to work,there are bills to be paid (and a much higher cost of living) children have to go to school and all without the support of family. Going to the beach every day sounds great but who actually does it? We can and do go the beach here in raincoats and wellies and the children love it:)
    And did I hear right that the policeman today had 4 days off in his shift pattern. My sons in law would love 4 days off to spend with their children!
  • Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get this obsession with Australia. :confused:

neither do we, have just read today that its 43 degrees in melbourne.
    imagine going to work in that heat or even to the beach plus all the poisonous spiders and snakes.
    no thanks wouldn't even want to go on holiday there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would certainly be very wary of buying a property around Perth at the moment sadly
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the facebook page about yesterdays family in Perth:
    "As of December 2013, the Wintrip family are living in UK - but not for much longer. After selling their family home in just two days, Sheri, Paul and Grace are planning to emigrate to Australia in March 2014. Son Ryan has decided to stay in the UK to finish his hairdressing qualifications, and will take over Sheri’s business."

Ryan seemed pretty keen to emigrate by the end of the week, presumably his girlfriend wasn't? Though if he takes over the salon then it keeps it in the family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One way trip then, hard to come back without a base, and the second hand house market out there is interesting - notice how many homes they look at have a Union Flag cushion on show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or do others think this reality check bit is nonsense? They told him today that his earning potential was around 110,000-120,000 dollars but could go up to about 160,000 with experience. When they then came to look at mortgages, they were working it out based on him earning 180,000 Au dollars? Who would try and work out mortgage potential based on earning more than a max salary on a job they hadn't got? Bizarre. Still, I am glad to see reality must have kicked in afterwards. This is one of the reasons I find this programme frustrating!
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,971
    Forum Member
    This programme is DOND with sun. It is full of people who know the cost of everything, but the value of nothing. Leave behind a job you love, a very nice house, wonderful extended family, and a great network of friends. With no prospects of a job in his line of work, but never mind, he's got 'transferable' skills. So, a phantom job with a salary plucked out of the air. And all for what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    This programme is DOND with sun. It is full of people who know the cost of everything, but the value of nothing. Leave behind a job you love, a very nice house, wonderful extended family, and a great network of friends. With no prospects of a job in his line of work, but never mind, he's got 'transferable' skills. So, a phantom job with a salary plucked out of the air. And all for what?

Some sun?!! I would rather our miserable weather than the 40 odd degrees they have in Melbourne at the moment, though!
  • Options
    BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    I've visited Australia twice in March and in November. Both times it rained nonstop for 2 weeks! The sun doesn't always shine. I much prefer our seasons at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Worth a listen, sounds a bit like "I'm alright mate, oh yeah it's bad out there..."

https://audioboo.fm/boos/1855960-australian-heat-relentless?playlist_direction=reversed
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the facebook page: "After returning from Adelaide, Gary applied for jobs down under, but with little success. He’s since discovered that his potential employment sector in Australia has changed, with employers now increasingly relying on local expertise. As such, Gary no longer feels a move is possible for his family. Karen has started working part time, and as of December 2013 is content to stay in the UK for the time being."

Sensible really - the area he really had expertise in wasn't recruiting and the 'transferable skills' jobs seemed rather optimistic in the potential earnings.

Mind you, given this 100 bushfires as Adelaide hits 46c perhaps even Karen might consider they're better off in soggy UK.:)
  • Options
    FishyFooFishyFoo Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I would certainly be very wary of buying a property around Perth at the moment sadly

Why ?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised about todays family

https://www.facebook.com/bbcwanteddownunder

After returning from Australia, Laurra changed her mind on a move, and decided that emigrating to Australia could be right for her family. She and Dave put their house on the market and moved into a rented property. Unfortunately, in December 2013, the sale of their home fell through at the last minute. The couple have since decided to rent out their house, with a view to making the move to Australia later in 2014.

But i say renting is best thing as if it don't work out they can come back and not have to start from scratch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I am still confused as to why it is so much better for the kids? So many on this programme say that, but we have beaches here if that is your thing (not mine), parks, clubs, sports etc etc, so apart from the sun and searing heat, what is 'so much' better in Oz?
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised about todays family

https://www.facebook.com/bbcwanteddownunder

After returning from Australia, Laurra changed her mind on a move, and decided that emigrating to Australia could be right for her family. She and Dave put their house on the market and moved into a rented property. Unfortunately, in December 2013, the sale of their home fell through at the last minute. The couple have since decided to rent out their house, with a view to making the move to Australia later in 2014.

But i say renting is best thing as if it don't work out they can come back and not have to start from scratch.

Madness - Wifey is going to regret not having her close knit family around. I find some of the families so selfish when they just disregard the feelings of their parents who are going to be heartbroken

Hate programme but have to watch it avidly to get the juices going. The idiots are on bloody holiday paid for by the BBC license fee. Yep that's right. Our beloved BBC is guilty of perpetuating the myth that there is no future in this country for families, and is also in cohorts with the current agenda to breakdown the extended family network.

The only way this programme would have any validity is to send a family out there for a month and have them live the "proper" lifestyle - both parents having to work cos houses prices 'aint what they were, juggling with the kids schools and childcare ( cos the beloved Grandparents are a long way away now), paying the bills. How much time would they have for "living the dream" and playing golf after that?

The FB page is even more annoying. Full of brainwashed morons who think Down Under is a better way of life for the kids. Nope it aint. Been there, done it. Its a long way from home when things get tough and family just can't pop over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The FB page is even more annoying. Full of brainwashed morons who think Down Under is a better way of life for the kids.

Not quite true in fact
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiders :(
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the Australian economy screwed right now?.. actually going into recession when most of the others are coming out