Options

'I hate Mumsnet': Why the parenting website is smug, patronising and vicious

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always picture Mumsnet users as being the ones who block supermarket aisles with their mega-buggies and get all hoity-toity when asked to move.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Not to put too fine a point on it but mumsnet represents all the best faults of what I call Middle England Mums. They think they are better than everyone and the best parents in the world.
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Mumsnet. It's like the bastard child of Loose Women and the Daily Mail. A truly awful site.
    Both of these are excellent descriptives of mumsnet. Admittedly I only looked on the site a few times and this was long ago but it's amazing when more than one post still sums up the same feeling I had about it back then.
    I think I joined a Gingerbread site or a spin off of it, and whilst it was nice at first in terms of initial support, it got very bitchier towards the end (when I left it). The support tended to be more given to a selected majority which I tested by starting a thread about a problem and one newby made the mistake by being honest that the reason she was now a single parent was down to her married lover not leaving his wife.... boy that sparked some nastier fireworks! :D

Them sites are not my cup of tea, they tend to be a bit bias, not liking new ways of doing things and can get over-mushy too.
  • Options
    CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    Makes you wonder how the rest of us coped with pregnancy, giving birth and raising well balanced children without these self appointed 'experts'.

:D

Spot on.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mongodude wrote: »
    dh is dear husband? whats the code for bloke that your shagging thats knocked you up?

YH? ... :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I always picture Mumsnet users as being the ones who block supermarket aisles with their mega-buggies and get all hoity-toity when asked to move.

Agreed.
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumsnet; Twee fundamentalism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Down with this sort of thing

Careful now!
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a member of Mumsnet but had a quick look yesterday after reading this thread. The AIBU sectioncan get pretty heated by the looksof it, with parents being allsanctimonious and holier than thou, but then I went to the teens section adn the forum was very supportive and helpful from what I saw.
  • Options
    LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member
    I joined Mumsnet once to ask a question about school admission, I was aware of the law but was wondering how it worked in practice.

I found the forum by Googling and joined and posted. The answers were really helpful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Online parents are annoying on any messageboard, but an entire website full of them? God save us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d3nium wrote: »
    Online parents are annoying on any messageboard, but an entire website full of them? God save us.

I couldn't think of anything worse.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AIBU must be their equivalent of 4chan's \b/tard board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just been reading through the acronym's they use
    http://www.mumsnet.com/info/acronyms

DS stands for Down's Syndrome as well as Darling Son. And people who post that they are SWI are guilty of TMI:D

Just read that list... OMG :eek: Nearly put me off my lunch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMP = last menstrual period

And i was just about to eat my sandwich :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like "JFGI" though.. :o
  • Options
    ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't think of anything worse.

Me neither. If I had a baby/child I would stay as far away from that sort of thing as possible. I think they can hurt people far more than they can help them, sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    I quite like "JFGI" though.. :o

What does that one mean?
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does that one mean?

Just F**king Google It. I agree - it's a brilliant one, a gem in a sea of rather cringeworthy ones.
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does that one mean?

Ironically....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mumsnet+JFGI
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant bear MumsNet, I tried it for a while but found them so needy, daft, sexist and hectoring, I didnt last long :)

I prefer the balance of female/male POVs like DS, plus the forum layout itself on Mumsnet is so shite :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jen-B wrote: »
    Just F**king Google It. I agree - it's a brilliant one, a gem in a sea of rather cringeworthy ones.

A useful one. The rest are just awful though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read that list... OMG :eek: Nearly put me off my lunch.

Why? They are fairly innocuous and tailored to the people that need to use the site. Jesus, do they not teach you about the human body in school?

I don't care for Mumsnet at all, but it does have its uses. If like me, you have a parent that lives thousands of miles away, it can be very helpful to go to a site like Mumsnet and get some advice rather that pop whatever it is into google and then think your kid has cancer/rabies/St Vitus' Dance/autism or is a sociopath in the making.

I've actually gained some pretty good advice on DS and was helped out greatly thanks to a couple of people who talked about a specific cream they used to treat eczema.

I don't go onto sites that don't hold my interest so why would you go on Mumsnet if there is nothing for you there?
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    d3nium wrote: »
    LMP = last menstrual period

And i was just about to eat my sandwich :(

I hope it wasn't an egg sandwich?

(EWCM = egg-white cervical mucus) :D