Options

'I hate Mumsnet': Why the parenting website is smug, patronising and vicious

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I'm sure it was no loss to your sister :)

I managed to give birth, breast feed, potty train, get kids to bed etc etc all before the Internet was beamed into our living rooms.

oh aye she was fine but at the time she felt she wanted to do everything herself, be like a superwomen till she realised she needed help, then didnt want to ask mam as she felt a failure, thought all her instincts should have kicked in so she knew what to do all the time and then she gave up and tried mumsnet thought talking to like minded people might help but they werent that nice and a bit judgementle, after that she just asked mam and mam helped her through, and helped her through another two since!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - you are right with your description of Mumsnet - but there is another site called Net Mums which seems the opposite of that - not snobby or snooty or cliquey at all.
    Maybe your wife might want to switch to that one?

I have one of their family cookbooks actually and it's really good. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always imagine the women who post there as being slightly plump, red-faced home counties type women called Sophie or Jessica, incredibly whiney and demanding of their "DH" (how utterly puke-inducing is that moniker?!), and total harridans to their children.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason they seem to have become the official voice for early morning news progammes about all things related to parenting. God kows why!

From memory isn't the woman who set it up part of some self-referencing media clique?

If so it's hardly surprising that these people are constantly citing each other.

The mutual backscratching involved is probably known by some euphemism like, "networking".
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumsnet. It's like the bastard child of Loose Women and the Daily Mail. A truly awful site.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason they seem to have become the official voice for early morning news progammes about all things related to parenting. God kows why!
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Mumsnet. It's like the bastard child of Loose Women and the Daily Mail. A truly awful site.

I thinnk that's what I was alluding to! Well put tyson!:D
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Internet equivalent of the NCT clique that I had the misfortune to come across 20 odd years ago.

Nothing beats common sense imo.
  • Options
    fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »

Ha! :D Fantastic description.
    Looked a few times, never posted. If there's ever a site that'll make you feel inadequate as a mum/wife, it's that one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm preggers and I go on Babycentre every day, perhaps it's just me but I find the people on there really non-judgemental, friendly and just nice.

There are also some hilarious posts on there where the posters really send themselves up and are quite happy not to take themselves too seriously! I've seen people be really supportive to each other and I like that.

Obviously there is a bit of moaning about partners etc but I thought that's what these sites are for - to let off a bit off steam? The replies to these kinds of posts seem fairly well balanced but again, maybe it's just me or maybe Babycentre isn't as bad as Mumsnet?

The only thing I don't like are all the initials - DH, OH, DD, DS etc - took me ages to figure out what the hell everyone was going on about!!
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Ha! :D Fantastic description.
    Looked a few times, never posted. If there's ever a site that'll make you feel inadequate as a mum/wife, it's that one.

There's no one better at making women feel inadequate as other women.

* Standard disclaimer to say that I'm generalising about a certain type of woman, and not all of them, before the women I'm talking about claim I am. *
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    The first rule of having children: there is no right or wrong way to raise children. Do whatever works for you....trial and error, and stay well clear of existing parents who will give you no end of advise "because it worked for them"!
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    It's just like Loose Women except (the majority are) younger.
  • Options
    Beth HartBeth Hart Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    There are some nice people on Mumsnet, promise. I can see why 'dh' etc is annoying but it's much quicker to type when you have a list of people to mention and can't do so by name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    dh is dear husband? whats the code for bloke thats your shagging thats knocked you up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if you're married to him, yeah.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I'm sure it was no loss to your sister :)

I managed to give birth, breast feed, potty train, get kids to bed etc etc all before the Internet was beamed into our living rooms.

And me, although all mine were bottle fed.
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    The first rule of having children: there is no right or wrong way to raise children. Do whatever works for you....trial and error, and stay well clear of existing parents who will give you no end of advise "because it worked for them"!

Very true - although I let my mother think I was taking all here advice :D
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beth Hart wrote: »
    There are some nice people on Mumsnet, promise. I can see why 'dh' etc is annoying but it's much quicker to type when you have a list of people to mention and can't do so by name.

I think it's the "d" people find so saccharinely cloying.

Why not "mh" or "md" etc, as in what I would term, "normal conversation"; unless the specific context actually requires the demonstration of overt familial affection to third parties?
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beth Hart wrote: »

You want to see the complete nutjob that I had on theline over there. I had her hook, line and bloody sinker because she kept using the term 'SIL' and got uppity when I said that 'Sil' looked much better in human form. She got so wound up it was unbelievable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    I think it's the "d" people find so saccharinely cloying.

Why not "mh" or "md" etc, as in what I would term, "normal conversation"; unless the specific context actually requires the demonstration of overt familial affection to third parties?
    I don't know, I didn't invent the way of talking but they are acronyms I've seen in use for at least the past 10 years online.

'md' makes me thing medical doctor and 'mh' means mental health to me but then I used to work in a medical setting.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    It's because the bourgeoisie are too lazy to type "husband".
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like a website which has a lot of women not wanting to go out and get work and earn a living. Again, it seems that way.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 'Helicopter Parents' site :)
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Down with this sort of thing
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Makes you wonder how the rest of us coped with pregnancy, giving birth and raising well balanced children without these self appointed 'experts'.

You'd make a better job listening to the medically trained and trusting your own instincts.