Options

Dating profiles advice thread

Comments

• Options
    belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, those are just the opinions of MissPG and nobody else ;) Any scandal with you? x

Oh no, quite. Like I say, everybody is entitled to their opinions, I just wanted to put it out there that she's actually a very lovely person and didn't deserve some of the more extreme judgments flying about. :):)

How are you, anyway? Sad lack of scandal my end. MEN I FANCY DO NOT EXIST, boo hoo. I REALLY want a bloke now, as well. For cuddles in particular. I think it's the time of year!

Are you still managing to unearth the worst men in the world?? You do have the worst luck! Any good stories?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belomb wrote: »
    Oh no, quite. Like I say, everybody is entitled to their opinions, I just wanted to put it out there that she's actually a very lovely person and didn't deserve some of the more extreme judgments flying about. :):)

How are you, anyway? Sad lack of scandal my end. MEN I FANCY DO NOT EXIST, boo hoo. I REALLY want a bloke now, as well. For cuddles in particular. I think it's the time of year!

Are you still managing to unearth the worst men in the world?? You do have the worst luck! Any good stories?

Huh! Well, to be fair, the last 3 were OK (although the last one kept texting me every minute of the goddamn day) but I just wasn't feeling it, or them. There is a current potential but it's way too early to report on, but looks to be a date next week so we'll see. And yes, the few men I fancy just don't fancy me. Stupid blind bollixes. Had a mahoosive leak in my house earlier, my galvanised tank has exploded so I have no heating or hot water in the house until Monday. So I could really do with a man to give me hot lovin' (and to install my new tank) more than ever. But hey, if there's none out there with da skillz to pay tha billz...... ;-)
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By heck....
    5000 views on this thread now.
    You pulled yet Brick?
    ;-):D
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for wading in here, belomb, and I haven't been involved with the 30 dates blog commentary before (I only read the first one), but I had to say something.

Belomb, you say you've got to know her and she's not at all like the negative way people have portrayed her. The difference between those posters and yourself is that you know her in 'real life' - the people here only have her blog to go on. Miss 29 is giving people an impression of her through her writing, so she surely can't complain very loudly if people take that impression away with them. That's her aim fulfilled, surely?

Having said that, I'm sure she IS lovely in 'real life', and I'm really happy for you that you've got that new circle as friends. You sound like you're having a thoroughly good time.

PS: I love keeping up with the eHarmony thread (ultimate lurker, me!) so I've read about all of you on there. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    belomb wrote: »
    Hi folks, long time no speak. Happy new year! I bloody hate the new layout of Digitalspy and really struggle with the huge adverts and stuff so I've barely visited for absolutely ages.

I just have to say something, though, and I'm aware I'll probably start a gargantuan row. BUT.

Since I started writing for 30 Dates, I've been lucky enough to get to know - mostly via the internet, of course - an absolutely great bunch of people. A bit like how this thread has also brought similar people together, the 30 Dates blog is pretty awesome at showing young single people that it's OK to be on your own, dating, coupled up, gay, straight, whatever...but that the most important thing is to be true to yourself, learn about yourself and be reflective about yourself. Above all, though, it helps to have a network of people behind you, helping you.

What doesn't help us in this frankly pretty cruel society is being bitchy and judgmental.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but some of the comments on here about Miss 29 have just been a bit unnecessary...particularly because none of you actually know her or anything about what she is like. Words are incredibly hurtful and yes, whilst it's her choice to "put herself out there", as such, she has opened up about some deeply personal topics in the name of trying to inspire and help readers who might feel a bit lost in the dating world.

It's all a bit Mean Girls (well, mainly Mean Boys!) and really unnecessary. Some of the stuff that has been said by people on here I can tell you now is not only bitchy but a) untrue b) out of context c) wildly inflamed and d) simply wrong. From a perspective that none of you are able to have because I actually am an experimental dater, I can say categorically that some sweeping statements made about Miss 29's character and motivations are just wrong. And the "evidence" cited for these opinions has often been misconstrued or taken out of context.

It's difficult writing this because the nature of a blog is such that people will always form opinions about it and its writer. That's just life. But if you have something to say or issues to raise, why not just comment on the blog/entry at the time? The way this has come out feels/looks like a bit of a witch hunt, dragging up loads of stuff. It means that the recipient of these comments etc - in this case, Miss 29 - is sort of flooded by a load of personal attacks at once, which is horrid for self-esteem. That is never nice. Whatever you think of someone, they are at the end of the day a human being.

I'm sorry if this causes a huge row. I justfelt that, as I know Miss 29 now, I had to say something. She really is a lovely person with no other agenda than a) find someone special (like the rest of us!) and b) perhaps help others along the way.

Happy New Year, folks. Let's be kind to one another, yeah? Thanks to those of you on this thread who were less judgmental. Make love not war.

xx

That's a nice post belomb, you just have to remember that it's usually negative opinions that people feel the need to air. I think she seems nice enough and I think it's perfectly understandable at her age to not want someone who has kids. I'm sure there are lots of people who think she seems pleasant enough.
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By heck....
    5000 views on this thread now.
    You pulled yet Brick?
    ;-):D

As of yet no

There are a couple of potentials we shall see how it goes

Although the s part of potentials may soon be removed as her last question to me was " how soon after the first date do you consider yourself In a relationship "
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The less use of the words 'cheeky' and 'banter', the better. Avoid uploading the usual mad staring 'selfie' that looks more like a mugshot!
    my galvanised tank has exploded

I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune but that sounded to me like a line from Fifty Shades of Grey! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    The less use of the words 'cheeky' and 'banter', the better. Avoid uploading the usual mad staring 'selfie' that looks more like a mugshot!

I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune but that sounded to me like a line from Fifty Shades of Grey! :blush:

:D

"it broke into a million different pieces" ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice about my profile? It doesn't say too much as I didn't have much luck the last time I was on POF so it seemed a waste of time putting so much effort into it and getting next to no results.
    I find that when I'm sending messages too. Like I'll put effort in to read a profile and send a message that's relevant and get nothing back. So frustrating! :(

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=67563342
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice about my profile? It doesn't say too much as I didn't have much luck the last time I was on POF so it seemed a waste of time putting so much effort into it and getting next to no results.
    I find that when I'm sending messages too. Like I'll put effort in to read a profile and send a message that's relevant and get nothing back. So frustrating! :(

I think this profile says absolutely nothing about the person and is therefore completely reliant on the photos. If that's your tactic then, well, that's your tactic.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member

This is my view as a late 30s female, its a bit brutal but honest.

You are probably more than aware that your height is your biggest disadvantage, as you know many women prefer someone taller than yourself and so that does limit your choice somewhat, its good that you can poke fun at yourself with your username halfpint and your photos, but I think you need to accentuate the other positives and that means making the profile far more informative/punchier/stand out than it is.

Almost everything you have written is totally cliched and generic.
    The photos, and the profile leads me to think that you just enjoy having fun, not very serious and little direction in life.
    If that's what you like and seek similar then fine, but I think that may only attract a younger audience.

Rather than just talk about what you enjoy doing, try and think about what a women would like to read about you. All we know is what you enjoy, not necessarily what type of person you are.

You chose the personality "gamer", now that either describes a player who only wants no strings attached fun or someone attached to their playstation/xbox. Either would be a negative for most women unless you are hoping to attract another gamer and that will again narrow down your choices.

On a pedantic note, you have a few spelling mistakes.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're a nice looking lad, you have to sell yourself more though. You're not tall, but you look as if you have a big personality. Try and convey that. Women like a man who is funny and witty, someone who will be brilliant to spend time with, dates full of laughter and enjoyment - so work on that side of things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice :)

I get the height thing. It's annoying though, I've been single 3 years but never used to struggle as much as I do now to get dates and meet like-minded people.

I'll definitely be giving the profile a redo.
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of questions - to women.

1) Do you get the same person to write all your profiles? I swear if I see 'I love nights out but am also happy with night in on the sofa watching a film with a glass of wine' once more I'm going to commit a serious mischief.

2) If you actually find someone and enter into a relationship with them, do you delete/suspend your profile, or do you leave it and 'keep your options open'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of questions - to women.

1) Do you get the same person to write all your profiles? I swear if I see 'I love nights out but am also happy with night in on the sofa watching a film with a glass of wine' once more I'm going to commit a serious mischief.

2) If you actually find someone and enter into a relationship with them, do you delete/suspend your profile, or do you leave it and 'keep your options open'?

1) I don't do none of that bitch-ass shit, mofo. ;) Have you noticed it's always a DVD & red wine? Never white and a VHS :D

2) If I'm in a relationship with them, I would delete my profile. But that takes a long time to get to, so otherwise I would just not log in for a bit. I used to take it off search (in fact that was my general way of being) but POF have now banned that for non-upgraded members >:( so if I'm seeing someone I like, I just don't log in. And then when things progress upward, I'll delete when I know there's no going back. Here's hoping that'll be soon. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) I don't do none of that bitch-ass shit, mofo. ;) Have you noticed it's always a DVD & red wine? Never white and a VHS :D

2) If I'm in a relationship with them, I would delete my profile. But that takes a long time to get to, so otherwise I would just not log in for a bit. I used to take it off search (in fact that was my general way of being) but POF have now banned that for non-upgraded members >:( so if I'm seeing someone I like, I just don't log in. And then when things progress upward, I'll delete when I know there's no going back. Here's hoping that'll be soon. :)

1) It's normally Pinot Grigio, Miss Pinot Grigio. A few years ago it would've been The Notebook, these days a Soccer AM DVD to prove how much they LOVE football.

2) So, let's say, 6 or 7 months down the line, would you consider it weird if the other half of your 6 or 7-month relationship still had a dating profile?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) It's normally Pinot Grigio, Miss Pinot Grigio. A few years ago it would've been The Notebook, these days a Soccer AM DVD to prove how much they LOVE football.

2) So, let's say, 6 or 7 months down the line, would you consider it weird if the other half of your 6 or 7-month relationship still had a dating profile?

1) :blush: I feel so *used*

2) Yes. Very. Words need to be had. If you have both mutually agreed you're in a proper relationship & all. Unless they've genuinely been a div and forgotten their password to POF etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) :blush: I feel so *used*

2) Yes. Very. Words need to be had. If you have both mutually agreed you're in a proper relationship & all. Unless they've genuinely been a div and forgotten their password to POF etc.

2) Umm, that's what I thought. Apparently 'loads of people have a dormant profile'. Hmmm. When I asked why she'd been back on there I got the usual 'I was checking to see if I was still paying, I don't know how to delete it.'

Hmmm, hmmm, and thrice hmmm!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2) Umm, that's what I thought. Apparently 'loads of people have a dormant profile'. Hmmm. When I asked why she'd been back on there I got the usual 'I was checking to see if I was still paying, I don't know how to delete it.'

Hmmm, hmmm, and thrice hmmm!

There is an Easy way to find our create a fake profile and message her . If you've been seeing her for 6 months then it's defo gone past the "dating" stage and she should
    Have removed her profile especially if you have removed yours
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an Easy way to find our create a fake profile and message her . If you've been seeing her for 6 months then it's defo gone past the "dating" stage and she should

I know, I removed mine about two weeks after I met her. But hers is still active and, apparently, that's just totally normal.

She must have been getting emails every day for the past 6 months but at no point has she thought about doing something about it.

I feel like a bit of a tit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I removed mine about two weeks after I met her. But hers is still active and, apparently, that's just totally normal.

She must have been getting emails every day for the past 6 months but at no point has she thought about doing something about it.

Well I'd be inclined to either A) tell her how you feel About it because let's face it you have no idea if she really is doing nothing about it or B) reopen your profile
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very easy to delete your profile, It's all in "settings". Has this not been pointed out to her?
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    After being in a relationship for two years and positive I had deleted all my profiles I suddenly started getting those daft emails from eHarmony again ("Meet Brian, your new match from Nottingham" - I'm in Sussex). I had to go back on the site, try to remember my details and delete myself - it took ages as they really didn't make it easy to find out how to totally remove yourself. I don't think my profile has been live all that time but I really don't know! I did delete my details from all dating sites (or so I thought) when I had been with my boyfriend for about a month as I knew it was going to be a long term thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member

Whilst I understand your point, I wouldn't recommend doing this. It will just make things more messy. You are in an adult relationship Gregory, so simply tell her you're unhappy that she still has a profile on the site and you'll show her how to delete it. If she tries to brush it under the carpet or refuses to let you, then I'm afraid you have your answer and it's clear that she does not view the relationship in the same way as you.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Talk to her, tell her how you feel. Maybe she genuinely forgot, maybe she's keeping her options open - either way, you need to find out for your own peace of mind. I hope it's the former reason :)