Dating profiles advice thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    Oh Lordy :blush:
    Way back when in my experimental days maybe but alas I seem to be attracted to those simpler, hairier creatures they call men :D

hmmmmm... single you say.... I wonder why :p:D;-)
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for... letting me down gently. And, good luck!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post #94

still has the annoying brackets :D:blush:

As someone who loves to over punctuate I still don't like it... sorry...
    Hey there I finally have a bit of time to update this profile as I'm at work (yeah like I'm actually gonna work) .... That's like taking a sickie when you are actually sick .. Save those bad boys for when your healthy and can enjoy the day off

What can I say that might possibly give you an idea about me in this little white box

I'm a South Londoner born and bred (best part of London drop me a line to find out why )

Being 35 years old I have picked up some nifty tricks in my time
    I can cook (would love to do it more and look forward to spoiling someone with my culinary skills
    I can clean (I do make a bit of a mess but I will clean up oh and I can put the toilet seat down )

I'm quite a spontaneous guy and it has been know for me to kick off the covers (obviously get dressed first ) and just go out with no "mission" be it hitting the coast for a day or an explore round London (especially when there is no grown up stuff to get in the way. )

As to what I'm looking for someone willing to eat my cooking (and lie if it tastes bad;) ) ..doesn't mind being the navigator on day trips (I don't ask for directions ) but don't worry if you get us lost that's half the fun and the rest is negotiable (the first two points are pretty much set in stone though)

Final draft methinks

Lose some brackets dude.
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who loves to over punctuate I still don't like it... sorry...

Lose some brackets dude.

So ignoring your blatant discrimination against the brackets ;)

What ya think
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Ok I'll share an experience I had one freedating. I see there are some women who like music too, I had one message me saying she was a singer and is into dance music. We hooked up and start collaborating on tunes, but she signed up under a diff name and I dont mean just a username then admitted to me that wasnt her name. Anyway as time went on she was sniffing around for money when we was thinking of making a video and when I mentioned a small label Im on she saw pound signs.

I saw through her in the end but felt a bit cheated as she used my music just to get somewhere and tried to play on her looks. I didnt get with her because I didnt have anything in common other than we like dance music plus she couldnt take a joke, was very boring and quiet and her life just seems to revolve around money.

Music is pretty much my life! I love it, I produce it, I mix it but I feel it shouldnt be used to that degree on a dating site. Perhaps I should not put music as my main passion? but if I dont nothing else is a passion. Hmmm what to do?
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still sounds a bit like you're trying really hard to be funny. You could say a lot of that with far fewer words. For example:
    I'm a South Londoner born and bred. It's the best part of London - you'll have to ask me to find out why.

I have picked up some nifty tricks in my 35 years. I can cook and I would love to do it more. I look forward to spoiling someone with my culinary skills. I can also clean with the added bonus of being able to put the toilet seat down.

As a spontaneous guy, I've been known to kick off the covers (remembering to get dressed first!) and just go out with no "mission". This could be hitting the coast for a day or exploring London (especially when there is no grown up stuff to get in the way).

I'm looking for someone willing to eat my cooking and lie occasionally if it tastes bad. Someone who doesn't mind being the navigator on day trips as I don't ask for directions. Don't worry if you get us lost - that's half the fun. The rest is negotiable!
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    It still sounds a bit like you're trying really hard to be funny. You could say a lot of that with far fewer words. For example:

What do you mean trying to be funny ;)

I do actually like yours a lot more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Ok I'll share an experience I had one freedating. I see there are some women who like music too, I had one message me saying she was a singer and is into dance music. We hooked up and start collaborating on tunes, but she signed up under a diff name and I dont mean just a username then admitted to me that wasnt her name. Anyway as time went on she was sniffing around for money when we was thinking of making a video and when I mentioned a small label Im on she saw pound signs.

I saw through her in the end but felt a bit cheated as she used my music just to get somewhere and tried to play on her looks. I didnt get with her because I didnt have anything in common other than we like dance music plus she couldnt take a joke, was very boring and quiet and her life just seems to revolve around money.

Music is pretty much my life! I love it, I produce it, I mix it but I feel it shouldnt be used to that degree on a dating site. Perhaps I should not put music as my main passion? but if I dont nothing else is a passion. Hmmm what to do?

I don't think you've got much to worry about mate, well unless you're jay z or something. I would say it was a one off. Just chalk it up to experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Much better! Less try hard and if flows much more nicely. Good job shappy, maybe you should start charging?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean trying to be funny ;)

I do actually like yours a lot more

Darcy_ wrote: »
    Much better! Less try hard and if flows much more nicely. Good job shappy, maybe you should start charging?:D

Thanks guys! I tried not to change it too much from what Bermondseybrick had written; just tidied it up a bit. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Ok, I always try to be a bit live and let live but as she's put herself out there...

Seriously, if that women in real life is anything like the way she comes across on her "blog" she is truly the most tedious, up her arse for no good reason fantasist on the planet.

As for this....
    Utter fantasy... it isn't and she isn't. There is only one reason why that bloke returned, he was fishing for the possibility of bagging someone that has a minute amount of internet notoriety. A simple notch and under those circumstances would say whatever it took.

Sorry. :blush: a bit of a rant. ahem.....

Did you leave the same comment on her actual blog? There is a comment that is word-for-word the same after that blog entry and she has mentioned it on twitter too! :o
  • Options
    Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi this is a bit redundant now as I am off dating sites (I got married to someone I met on there) but if it helps anyone feel free!

This was written in 2012 when I was 40, I was on POF for 6 months, had around 10-15 dates (some repeated more than twice) and met and married someone within 9 months. Ha! I should charge for dating advice ;)

About Me

Hi, Im an outgoing female from xxx. I live in my own house with 2 cute dogs. Been on my own for a while by choice but now looking for someone special. I am happy to date however and see how things go

I have come on here because Im not into nightclubs and cheesey chat up lines anymore,self employed and wont flirt with myself at the office and have given up on the thought of meeting someone at the library or church, possibly because I don’t go to the library or church.

I have a dry sense of humour and am very easy to get along with. I am self employed mainly and also temp here and there.

Music wise, I am mainly stuck in the 80s and 90s and happy to be there.

First Date Probably a coffee or a drink. Nothing heavy :o) Oh and no horror films! Someone tried to persuade me to watch 'The Human Centipede' with them once, I thought it was just going to be something intellectual like Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' Thank F for Wikipedia as I dodged that bullet!!

(Only dated blokes who made an effort to read the profile and pick up on something in it whether they messaged me first or I had messaged them, the 'Hi huns' were always deleted and blocked regardless of what they looked like.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! I tried not to change it too much from what Bermondseybrick had written; just tidied it up a bit. :)

That's a great re write :) Well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you leave the same comment on her actual blog? There is a comment that is word-for-word the same after that blog entry and she has mentioned it on twitter too! :o

Er might have done.... never say behind someones back what you're unwilling to say to their face.. as it were. :)
    ummmm ... does it make me a bad person?
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daffodil67 wrote: »
    Hi this is a bit redundant now as I am off dating sites (I got married to someone I met on there) but if it helps anyone feel free!

This was written in 2012 when I was 40, I was on POF for 6 months, had around 10-15 dates (some repeated more than twice) and met and married someone within 9 months. Ha! I should charge for dating advice ;)

About Me

Hi, Im an outgoing female from xxx. I live in my own house with 2 cute dogs. Been on my own for a while by choice but now looking for someone special. I am happy to date however and see how things go

I have come on here because Im not into nightclubs and cheesey chat up lines anymore,self employed and wont flirt with myself at the office and have given up on the thought of meeting someone at the library or church, possibly because I don’t go to the library or church.

I have a dry sense of humour and am very easy to get along with. I am self employed mainly and also temp here and there.

Music wise, I am mainly stuck in the 80s and 90s and happy to be there.

First Date Probably a coffee or a drink. Nothing heavy :o) Oh and no horror films! Someone tried to persuade me to watch 'The Human Centipede' with them once, I thought it was just going to be something intellectual like Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' Thank F for Wikipedia as I dodged that bullet!!

(Only dated blokes who made an effort to read the profile and pick up on something in it whether they messaged me first or I had messaged them, the 'Hi huns' were always deleted and blocked regardless of what they looked like.)
    That's a good profile, friendly, interesting and informative.
    Funny, too - did someone really suggest watching The Human Centipede? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Er might have done.... never say behind someones back what you're unwilling to say to their face.. as it were. :)
    ummmm ... does it make me a bad person?

I do think it was a bit unnecessary if I'm being honest. To say she's fair game because she's doing a blog is just a poor excuse. It wouldn't be very nice if someone came into this thread and started making personal comments about each of us simply because we had decided to share our dating stories on a public domain like ds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think it was a bit unnecessary if I'm being honest. To say she's fair game because she's doing a blog is just a poor excuse. It wouldn't be very nice if someone came into this thread and started making personal comments about each of us simply because we had decided to share our dating stories on a public domain like ds.

Yeah.. thats fair enough... I have responded to her though in a much less confrontational way but I'm afraid I stand by my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Yeah.. thats fair enough... I have responded to her though in a much less confrontational way but I'm afraid I stand by my opinion.

We all have our opinions, but it's about knowing what to share and what to keep to yourself. There's been certain posts on this thread and the eharmony thread that I vehemently disagreed with, but rather than be rude, if I felt I couldn't be constructive, I've kept those opinions to myself. What you posted was just plain nasty, it didn't achieve anything except for, more than likely, hurting her feelings. IMO she had done nothing to warrant those comments, she's just decided to do an on-line blog to share her dating experiences, a blog which is not compulsory to read. If the subject matter isn't of interest to you or disagreeable to you, then why not just ignore it rather than make personal comments?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all have our opinions, but it's about knowing what to share and what to keep to yourself. There's been certain posts on this thread and the eharmony thread that I vehemently disagreed with, but rather than be rude, if I felt I couldn't be constructive, I've kept those opinions to myself. What you posted was just plain nasty, it didn't achieve anything except for, more than likely, hurting her feelings. IMO she had done nothing to warrant those comments, she's just decided to do an on-line blog to share her dating experiences, a blog which is not compulsory to read. If the subject matter isn't of interest to you or disagreeable to you, then why not just ignore it rather than make personal comments?

Well I'm afraid that if people invite comment they have to accept that occasionally they will get a comment that they don't like. This is part of life I'm afraid.
    Now, I'm not going to fall out with you about it but as I said I have apologised to her for my comment about her but my comment about her blog stands.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    I don't think you've got much to worry about mate, well unless you're jay z or something. I would say it was a one off. Just chalk it up to experience.

Nah Im just a small time dance music producer lol but I shall put this down to experience
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    That's a good profile, friendly, interesting and informative.
    Funny, too - did someone really suggest watching The Human Centipede? :o

Thank you :) Yes someone did :o Was a few dates in as well. Ah well.
  • Options
    belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks, long time no speak. Happy new year! I bloody hate the new layout of Digitalspy and really struggle with the huge adverts and stuff so I've barely visited for absolutely ages.

I just have to say something, though, and I'm aware I'll probably start a gargantuan row. BUT.

Since I started writing for 30 Dates, I've been lucky enough to get to know - mostly via the internet, of course - an absolutely great bunch of people. A bit like how this thread has also brought similar people together, the 30 Dates blog is pretty awesome at showing young single people that it's OK to be on your own, dating, coupled up, gay, straight, whatever...but that the most important thing is to be true to yourself, learn about yourself and be reflective about yourself. Above all, though, it helps to have a network of people behind you, helping you.

What doesn't help us in this frankly pretty cruel society is being bitchy and judgmental.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but some of the comments on here about Miss 29 have just been a bit unnecessary...particularly because none of you actually know her or anything about what she is like. Words are incredibly hurtful and yes, whilst it's her choice to "put herself out there", as such, she has opened up about some deeply personal topics in the name of trying to inspire and help readers who might feel a bit lost in the dating world.

It's all a bit Mean Girls (well, mainly Mean Boys!) and really unnecessary. Some of the stuff that has been said by people on here I can tell you now is not only bitchy but a) untrue b) out of context c) wildly inflamed and d) simply wrong. From a perspective that none of you are able to have because I actually am an experimental dater, I can say categorically that some sweeping statements made about Miss 29's character and motivations are just wrong. And the "evidence" cited for these opinions has often been misconstrued or taken out of context.

It's difficult writing this because the nature of a blog is such that people will always form opinions about it and its writer. That's just life. But if you have something to say or issues to raise, why not just comment on the blog/entry at the time? The way this has come out feels/looks like a bit of a witch hunt, dragging up loads of stuff. It means that the recipient of these comments etc - in this case, Miss 29 - is sort of flooded by a load of personal attacks at once, which is horrid for self-esteem. That is never nice. Whatever you think of someone, they are at the end of the day a human being.

I'm sorry if this causes a huge row. I just felt that, as I know Miss 29 now, I had to say something. She really is a lovely person with no other agenda than a) find someone special (like the rest of us!) and b) perhaps help others along the way.

Happy New Year, folks. Let's be kind to one another, yeah? Thanks to those of you on this thread who were less judgmental. Make love not war.

xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    belomb wrote: »
    Hi folks, long time no speak. Happy new year! I bloody hate the new layout of Digitalspy and really struggle with the huge adverts and stuff so I've barely visited for absolutely ages.

I just have to say something, though, and I'm aware I'll probably start a gargantuan row. BUT.

Since I started writing for 30 Dates, I've been lucky enough to get to know - mostly via the internet, of course - an absolutely great bunch of people. A bit like how this thread has also brought similar people together, the 30 Dates blog is pretty awesome at showing young single people that it's OK to be on your own, dating, coupled up, gay, straight, whatever...but that the most important thing is to be true to yourself, learn about yourself and be reflective about yourself. Above all, though, it helps to have a network of people behind you, helping you.

What doesn't help us in this frankly pretty cruel society is being bitchy and judgmental.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but some of the comments on here about Miss 29 have just been a bit unnecessary...particularly because none of you actually know her or anything about what she is like. Words are incredibly hurtful and yes, whilst it's her choice to "put herself out there", as such, she has opened up about some deeply personal topics in the name of trying to inspire and help readers who might feel a bit lost in the dating world.

It's all a bit Mean Girls (well, mainly Mean Boys!) and really unnecessary. Some of the stuff that has been said by people on here I can tell you now is not only bitchy but a) untrue b) out of context c) wildly inflamed and d) simply wrong. From a perspective that none of you are able to have because I actually am an experimental dater, I can say categorically that some sweeping statements made about Miss 29's character and motivations are just wrong. And the "evidence" cited for these opinions has often been misconstrued or taken out of context.

It's difficult writing this because the nature of a blog is such that people will always form opinions about it and its writer. That's just life. But if you have something to say or issues to raise, why not just comment on the blog/entry at the time? The way this has come out feels/looks like a bit of a witch hunt, dragging up loads of stuff. It means that the recipient of these comments etc - in this case, Miss 29 - is sort of flooded by a load of personal attacks at once, which is horrid for self-esteem. That is never nice. Whatever you think of someone, they are at the end of the day a human being.

I'm sorry if this causes a huge row. I just felt that, as I know Miss 29 now, I had to say something. She really is a lovely person with no other agenda than a) find someone special (like the rest of us!) and b) perhaps help others along the way.

Happy New Year, folks. Let's be kind to one another, yeah? Thanks to those of you on this thread who were less judgmental. Make love not war.

xx

I don't like her blog or the way she writes and I am entitled to say that as she allows people to comment. I wasn't right to be rude to her.

I have apologised to her as publicly as I was rude to her and that's it as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if she's made it public though, I've not checked.

Realistically no matter how much interaction we have with people via the internet we really don't anyone we haven't actually met.

Happy new year to you too.. although we *must* be at the cut-off for that by now ;-)
  • Options
    belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like her blog or the way she writes and I am entitled to say that as she allows people to comment. I wasn't right to be rude to her.

I have apologised to her as publicly as I was rude to her and that's it as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if she's made it public though, I've not checked.

Realistically no matter how much interaction we have with people via the internet we really don't anyone we haven't actually met.

Happy new year to you too.. although we *must* be at the cut-off for that by now ;-)

Completely agree with your post. Definitely entitled to your opinion as I said, as is anybody. :) I just had to stick up for her because she deliberately goes out of her way not offend people in her blog and some of the comments about her flying around just aren't true. As any friend would, you'd want to put people straight. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Belomb,

Good to hear from you, and sorry if my comments have caused offence. However......

Some of the comments she's made about dating men with children have really made me cringe. Not so much for her, but the fact of the matter is that she's 30. She is more likely than ever to date men with children. Men with children have previous relationships, and exes that they are regularly in touch with. Fact. It's not a personal slight, but she has some major mental adjustment to do to get her head around the fact that someone has been "there" before her. And even if men don't have children, there will most likely be someone who has loved and lusted after her beau before she has. It's a fact for most of us on this thread, but we don't think as deeply about it as she does.

Maybe in my mid-20s I would have thought the same, but not now. And I would have thought that someone of her age and dating experience would have thought the same. That - and for many similar reasons - is why I just cannot take her seriously. It's not to do with the fact that I'm 37, I would have felt the same when I first found myself (before my last serious relationship began) at 26. She just seems grossly inexperienced at all of this and I'm not blaming her for it, I just struggle to take her seriously.

Sorry if that sounds horrible, I can only be honest. And everyone has different opinions which I respect. She seems like a very nice girl, but I hope she proceeds OK with the rest of this, it worries me that she not only throws herself in wholeheartedly with these guys but also reveals so much personal detail (all but name, really) on her blog about herself, in one of the early posts she even revealed where she worked!

Anyway, those are just the opinions of MissPG and nobody else ;) Any scandal with you? x