Options

help needed re mobile phone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
Forum Member
Does anyone know how to reactivate a deactivated mobile ? Vodafone disconnected my PayAsYouGo mobile as I hadn't used it for some time. They took the credit that was on it and re-allocated the number. I have had considerable e-mail contact with Customer Services and they have sent me a new SIM card to get things going again. But I don't know how I get a new phone no. Someone has told me I need to make a chargeable call to activate the new SIM but I can't do that because I can't put any credit on it because it's not activated yet !!
Any ideas will be very welcome :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've already got a new phone number. The phone number isn't linked to the mobile, it comes with the SIM. So if you've got a new SIM then it's got a new phone number.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks sleepydove but how do I get the SIM card to divulge the number ?!;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    the sim should come in a little packet. On the fron it should have an 11 digit number.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keying *#100# will give you the number.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's no 11 digit number on the SIM card pack :( and I've tried #100# but it just comes up 'Subscription problem'. Can't top up either for same reason :(
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's *#100#, not #100# (* to start).

I would expect that to work, since it's a free call. But maybe not :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are there no instructions about the activation process on the sim card pack?

if not why not give vodafone a call and tell them you are having problems activating your new sim card.

Or nip into the vodafone shop... theyre bound to be familiar with the activation process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Jeff - have now tried *#100# but just comes up 'rejected'.

I can't face contacting Vodafone Customer Services, it's taken loads of calls just to get the SIM card ! And I don't live anywhere near a vodafone shop, unfortunately.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buy a vodafone sim from a newsagent - £1 probably

job done

i'm looking at a vodafone sim

the info says among others

*#1345# - check your balance
    *#100# - find out your phone number - the first char is a star

do the first one - that will tell you whether they refunded your credit

perhaps you are entering the numbers wrongly. you need to dial and then enter the code/number
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick google seems to show that you need to call them and get it activated that way. Although I'd think that you'd need to know the number to do that. The number should have been either on the packing or the letter that came with the SIM.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know the virgin version of the *#100# thingy, to find out your number? Sorry to hijack the thread
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    Does anyone know the virgin version of the *#100# thingy, to find out your number? Sorry to hijack the thread

i used to be on virgin

it must be on the virgin mobile website, surely

or check the number it dials for phone messages - its probably embedded in that.

if you have credit, dial a number - and see what comes up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Hi topaz10

To keep a PAYG SIM activated you do need to make a chargeable call at least once every three months, from the sounds of it your number has been recycled. If this is the case then I'm afraid we won't be able to re-activate it, as it would of now be allocated to somebody else.

To activate a PAYG SIM you will need to make a quick chargeable call, your SIM will have come with £1.00 credit already on it. Have you tried to make a call?

To find your mobile number simply enter *#100# into the phone.

Kind regards,

Sukhi

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sukhi_v wrote: »
    Hi topaz10

To keep a PAYG SIM activated you do need to make a chargeable call at least once every three months, from the sounds of it your number has been recycled. If this is the case then I'm afraid we won't be able to re-activate it, as it would of now be allocated to somebody else.

To activate a PAYG SIM you will need to make a quick chargeable call, your SIM will have come with £1.00 credit already on it. Have you tried to make a call?

To find your mobile number simply enter *#100# into the phone.

Kind regards,

Sukhi

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

He's tried that though and it comes up "rejected" (post number 9)