Can you judge a book by its cover?

2»

Comments

• Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I must admit i am more likely to buy a book or magazine if I like the cover... vice versa :blush:

I don't when it comes to people... You should never prejudge someone on appearance... :)

People always say this, but we do it all the time. Judging someone on their appearance is part of our survival skills, it's how we decide whether or not we should trust a person. Obviously we all have slightly different criteria, but we judge each other daily.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    book title "The Holy Bible" gives no clue about the endless lust and killing and adultery inside it .......
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You should always check the flaps.
    Chocks away!
    Grease me up, I'm going in
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    book title "The Holy Bible" gives no clue about the endless lust and killing and adultery inside it .......

I think the phrase 'the good book' is also quite misleading....
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a very shallow person. I always judge books by their cover and people by their looks. :blush: I cannot go out with a man I'm not attracted to physically. There's no hope for me
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    People always say this, but we do it all the time. Judging someone on their appearance is part of our survival skills, it's how we decide whether or not we should trust a person. Obviously we all have slightly different criteria, but we judge each other daily.
    I was going to make a similar point.

I would say that if people didn't prejudge to an extent then crime would be on the increase, whether it be petty crime/mugging to more serious inclusing sexual assault.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I look at a book, what's the first thing that catches my eye? The title or picture, hardback, paperback, for me, have I heard of the author before? has the author many books? does the author give a good foreword, an introductory? importantly is there a sequel?:D
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes you can, but only if that person wishes to project a specific image. For example if someone chooses to have a large swastika tattooed on their head, one can assume they are racist.
    Or have a large forehead.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    War and Peace is a big book isn't it?:o
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »

Lots of big words in it too. That bloke who wrote it was just a big headed show-off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was sat in a pub reading my kindle when a young chap sat opposite.
    Based on his appearance I "disapproved of him".
    Scruffily dressed, long "rasta" dreadlocks and quite a few piercings around his ears and mouth. This was a few years back around the time of the last bout of city riots (2011/12?)
    I imagined he'd approve and even be involved.
    Anyway, he got out a kindle and started reading.
    I found myself saying aloud to him "Great aren't they?".
    We spent about 20 minutes or more chatting about books, the news (Sky News was on the TV above us) and music - he was a music student.
    His meal arrived so we stopped chatting and resumed reading.
    Later, as he left he said "Nice to have chatted with you" and I returned the compliment.
    We were decades apart in age and I've never forgotten that meeting whenever I find myself judging a book by its cover.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't this be in the book forum?:confused::p
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a difference between can you and should you. Of course you can but whether it would be fair is another matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    This is it - in full.
    War and Peace starts in St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1805. Napoleon has conquered much of Europe and troops are being mobilized to defend Russia. Two characters, Andrew and Nicholas go to the front. His friend Pierre is made sole heir of his father’s fortune and marries. His wife cheats on him. Andrew returns home just as his wife dies in childbirth. Pierre leaves his wife for spiritual pursuits. Nicholas comes home with gambling debts. His family wants him to marry rich, but he has promised himself to his cousin Sonya, and resists. Nicholas’ sister Natasha becomes attached to Andrew, but Andrew’s father Andrew’s father stalls the marriage. Natasha falls for another and plans to elope – Andrew finds out and rejects her. In 1812, Napoleon invades Russia. Andrew returns to service and gets hurt. Nicholas saves his sister Mary, who has been carrying for the child, from angry peasants and the two fall in love. The Russians and French fight at Borodino, where the smaller Russian army wins. Nicholas’ family prepares to evacuate, and take Andrew with them. Pierre has become half-crazed, and wanders Moscow convinced he is supposed to kill Napoleon. Andrew declares his love for Natasha before dying. Pierre is captured but eventually liberated by from the French, and marries Natasha. Nicholas weds Mary, and the two have a happy life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the book forum?:confused::p
    No.
    Possibly the "He looks a shifty bastard" forum.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is it - in full.
    War and Peace starts in St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1805. Napoleon has conquered much of Europe and troops are being mobilized to defend Russia. Two characters, Andrew and Nicholas go to the front. His friend Pierre is made sole heir of his father’s fortune and marries. His wife cheats on him. Andrew returns home just as his wife dies in childbirth. Pierre leaves his wife for spiritual pursuits. Nicholas comes home with gambling debts. His family wants him to marry rich, but he has promised himself to his cousin Sonya, and resists. Nicholas’ sister Natasha becomes attached to Andrew, but Andrew’s father Andrew’s father stalls the marriage. Natasha falls for another and plans to elope – Andrew finds out and rejects her. In 1812, Napoleon invades Russia. Andrew returns to service and gets hurt. Nicholas saves his sister Mary, who has been carrying for the child, from angry peasants and the two fall in love. The Russians and French fight at Borodino, where the smaller Russian army wins. Nicholas’ family prepares to evacuate, and take Andrew with them. Pierre has become half-crazed, and wanders Moscow convinced he is supposed to kill Napoleon. Andrew declares his love for Natasha before dying. Pierre is captured but eventually liberated by from the French, and marries Natasha. Nicholas weds Mary, and the two have a happy life.

Haha. Having read 'War and Peace' (my parents made me as they're Russian) it is in my opinion the best novel ever written and the above summary, although it covers some of the main characters, really says nothing about this unbelievably written epic story of aristocratic Russia during its war with Napoleon. It is truly epic and if you can get past the complicated names, it is an absolute must read. Tolstoy creates a whole world in which his characters all interwind with each other.

No synopsis or film can do it justice. The only film that actually captured the spirit of the book in my view was the one with Audrey Hepburn and Mel Ferrer. I recommend it for a VERY short feel of the book, but of course it only captures 10% of what was actually written.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I must admit i am more likely to buy a book or magazine if I like the cover... vice versa :blush:

I don't when it comes to people... You should never prejudge someone on appearance... :)

i am like this when i rent or buy dvd horror films, if the cover looks good then i get it :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will be making a mistake if you do
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you judge a book by the cover, then you judge the look by the lover.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well....the cover of a book might not tell you exactly what's in it, but it'll probably give you an idea of whether you'll like it or not. This of course, does not just apply to books. :)