Options

Irish Constitutional Referendum on Gay Marriage - May 2015

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some might say that England is renowned for drunken, abusive, racist and rampant hooliganism within their football support. Countries throughput europe may fear such fans entering our countries for fear they may rip up our stadia, destroy our streets, brick the windows of our shops and run havoc in our European cities. I reckon the above description of the average English football fan is wholly inaccurate.

Some also say we (UK) are a Christian country bla de bla.. They have had their menacing power and control considerably reduced too and not before time.
    Chosen religion is exactly where it should be and cannot usurp legal equal rights any longer..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean because the Dublin metro tosspot thought the provincial peasant would vote NO and they voted YES?

Sadly I cannot comment, this thread has already banned a close Irish, gay , disabled friend for life for posting negative comments that were not " in the spirit of the thread ". [ whatever that means ].
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone thought the Scottish Referendum was a landslide, it was 54/46, unless you mean the turnout which was HUGE..

The SNP getting 56 seats out of 59 in the UK GE, now that is a landslide, plus a tsunami .
    You do realise that the SNP got 50% of the popular vote in Scotland? Now that's still very impressive, but it's a massive fallacy for you to say that a 62% result in a referendum is less of a landslide than a 50% share in a "first past the post" election.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly I cannot comment, this thread has already banned a close Irish, gay , disabled friend for life for posting negative comments that were not " in the spirit of the thread ". [ whatever that means ].

Yes of course that happened. (I mean to your good friend)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise that the SNP got 50% of the popular vote in Scotland? Now that's still very impressive, but it's a massive fallacy for you to say that a 62% result in a referendum is less of a landslide than a 50% share in a "first past the post" election.

That is true, I apologise.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,956
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    With all due respect to all posters . Ireland is considered to be a catholic country with deep family traditions where the family unit is man and woman. Same sex marriage doesnt fit in that unit. I am shocked that ireland have voted the way that they have. Just saying

I'm not surprised. I think the pertinent word in your post is 'considered'.

Catholics is Ireland (and elsewhere) are nominally deeply committed to the religion but live far more prosaic lives, compromising on things like contraception, and sexuality.
    As the Catholic church weakens the latent progressiveness comes out, as seen in this referendum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. I think the pertinent word in your post is 'considered'.

Catholics is Ireland (and elsewhere) are nominally deeply committed to the religion but live far more prosaic lives, compromising on things like contraception, and sexuality.
    As the Catholic church weakens the latent progressiveness comes out, as seen in this referendum.

But what was caused this weakening of the Church Of Rome's stranglehold in Ireland ?

Maybe living next door to the progressive UK ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what was caused this weakening of the Church Of Rome's stranglehold in Ireland ?

The scandals. I thought that was obvious.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

Maybe assuming that Catholics will automatically object to gay marriage because they're told to is the discrepancy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Maybe assuming that Catholics will automatically object to gay marriage because they're told to is the discrepancy.

True too. I have to say the church didn't mount that much of a attack to a YES vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scandals. I thought that was obvious.

Obvious to the Irish maybe ...........expand ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obvious to the Irish maybe ...........expand ?

Nope, if you don't understand the scandals, google is your friend.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    True too. I have to say the church didn't mount that much of a attack to a YES vote.

Well that's good, they don't want to look like those fundamentalists in America. The Westborough Baptists.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ireland has always lived next door to the UK and that has never had any weakening effect of people's attachment to the Catholic Church. It was the scandals that came to light in Ireland itself which did that.
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to see common sense prevail. Just a shame about the 38% of sub-human scum who voted against it.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    Great to see common sense prevail. Just a shame about the 38% of sub-human scum who voted against it.

Why are they sub-human scum?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are they sub-human scum?
    Well, I'm sure most of them consider themselves to be "good" people. However, the fact remains that they were determined to see a section of society to continue to be treated as unworthy of the institution of marriage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm sure most of them consider themselves to be "good" people. However, the fact remains that they were determined to see a section of society to continue to be treated as unworthy of the institution of marriage.

To brand them sub-human though, that's a very extreme view.

We have to respect everyone's opinion, whether we agree with them or not. The people who voted No were merely exercising their democratic right to put forward their view.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

They were, but I wouldn't describe them in those words.
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We have to respect everyone's opinion, whether we agree with them or not. The people who voted No were merely exercising their democratic right to put forward their view.

And quite clearly the wrong view. No defence for that at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here is a question for you, who put homosexuality in Ireland on our statue books as a crime? A) Rome B) Homer Simpson C) Father Ted or D) The Brits?
    Ponder that for a moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    And quite clearly the wrong view. No defence for that at all.

I'd argue that there is no defence for calling anyone sub-human, simply for having a different opinion.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,194
    Forum Member
    Nicely done, Ireland.

Abortion next, eh?
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No we don't have to respect everyone's opinion. We should respect everyone's right to an opinion, but we can treat that opinion however we like.

I respect someone's right to have the opinion that gay marriage is wrong, but I think that's an absolutely awful opinion and will say that. I completely judge anybody of such opinion as abhorrent.

Should Hitler's opinion on Jews have been respected?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    No we don't have to respect everyone's opinion. We should respect everyone's right to an opinion, but we can treat that opinion however we like.
    Then you have to accept that also cuts both ways. However, calling people who disagree 'sub human scum' simply places that poster and others down in the gutter.