Options

Life after Breaking Bad

Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
Forum Member
I'd never seen Breaking Bad, but with all the fuss over the finale I decided to give it a whirl. To say I was hooked was an understatement. I watched all five series within a month. A couple of nights I was up until 5am because I couldn't resist watching the next episode following the cliff-hanger of the previous.

That all came to an end last night when I watched the final three episodes of Series 5. And now I'm really depressed that there's no more Breaking Bad.

So, US TV experts, what should I watch next?

Comments

• Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same dilemma! :D Unfortunately, I haven't yet found anything as great as Breaking Bad, but I would recommend House of Cards. Kevin Spacey is brilliant as always. I have never seen the original British version though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sopranos
    Deadwood
    Twin Peaks
    The Wire
    Mad Men

That should keep you busy for a while.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pavster wrote: »
    Twin Peaks

I like Twin Peaks but it's a million miles from Breaking Bad and not something that a big fan of BB would necessarily enjoy. I might as well throw Adventure Time into the mix :D
  • Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The walking dead or Sons of Anarchy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I like Twin Peaks but it's a million miles from Breaking Bad and not something that a big fan of BB would necessarily enjoy. I might as well throw Adventure Time into the mix :D

Best shows to come out of US (along with BB). Possibly throw West Wing in there as well.

Pulls pin and withdraws. :)
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six Feel Under got me over it for a while.
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I've watched TWD from the beginning. Even stuck with it thru those dull days on the farm.

Season 3 was good but Season 4 has been a bit of a turkey AFAIAC.

I think it's going to be "The Wire". Or I might just watch BB from the start all over again :)
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give House of Cards a chance. It's a very different plot to Breaking Bad, but the writing and acting are excellent. It has some great twists.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wire, The West Wing & Sons of Anarchy.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people keep saying Life After Breaking Bad
    If you had a life before watching other shows before Breaking bad, I am sure your life will continue now it's over in finding other shows. It's a fantastic show but people make it out as if there will never be another great televison ever after it.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Im the same! Just finished the last episode today after watching it from the start over the course of about two months.
  • Options
    BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Watch Banshee, that's the next great series.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Im the same i watched all 5 seasons in 2 months and me and my friend got through the last seasons 8 episodes in a whole night we were just hooked… when it ended i was sad :( Breaking Bad is one of the best TV shows ever imo the acting, the writing, the characters, the cinematography were all outstanding.

Lucky I Have American Horror story and The Walking Dead but its not the same.
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sopranos, The Shield, Justified,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Bowmani wrote: »
    Watch Banshee, that's the next great series.

I'd disagree. I only managed to last half the pilot, but from what I saw it was stupid and puerile. Does it get better as it goes along? I'm not sure I have it a fair shout.

I think The Americans is the next big series. It's a brilliant period spy show from FX...
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I'd disagree. I only managed to last half the pilot, but from what I saw it was stupid and puerile. Does it get better as it goes along? I'm not sure I have it a fair shout.

I think The Americans is the next big series. It's a brilliant period spy show from FX...

I liked Banshee a lot, but it is not meant to be "awards bait." It is a pulpy thriller, and I thought it succeeded brilliantly on that front. If half the pilot put you off, I doubt more of it would change your opinion.

The Americans is better, and that really is the kind of show that SHOULD be getting at least nominated for awards.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sopranos, Sopranos, Sopranos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I liked Banshee a lot, but it is not meant to be "awards bait." It is a pulpy thriller, and I thought it succeeded brilliantly on that front. If half the pilot put you off, I doubt more of it would change your opinion.

I wasn't expecting "awards bait", I was just expecting something that didn't look like a 14 year old boy had been given several million dollars and told to remake their fantasies...
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I wasn't expecting "awards bait", I was just expecting something that didn't look like a 14 year old boy had been given several million dollars and told to remake their fantasies...

"Pulpy thrills" have a lot in common with the fantasies of 14-year-old boys, no doubt. Might I ask if you are a male or female? (Your user name makes me think the latter, but user names can be deceptive). Banshee is definitely a show aimed at men, and when I have seen outright hostility directed at it, women have usually been the source of the hostility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    "Pulpy thrills" have a lot in common with the fantasies of 14-year-old boys, no doubt. Might I ask if you are a male or female? (Your user name makes me think the latter, but user names can be deceptive). Banshee is definitely a show aimed at men, and when I have seen outright hostility directed at it, women have usually been the source of the hostility.

Male, and below the age of 30. (I should change my username (or go back in time and make myself pick better ones), but unfortunately the system won't let you.)

I don't think my issue is that it's aimed at men, I think it was that it was a bit stupid and felt almost like they'd taken all the elements of successful premium cable shows and tried to crowbar a plot in around them.

I might give the pilot another go, because it sounds like the kind of show I'd enjoy...
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Im the same! Just finished the last episode today after watching it from the start over the course of about two months.

And last night, I just completed watching the whole thing for the second time.

Have a break then give it a go. There are lots of bit you will have missed and lots of subtle things that only make sense after knowing what the outcome is.
  • Options
    suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Game of Thrones is next for me it would seem...
  • Options
    couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My faves:

The Wire
    Dexter
    Deadwood
    Oz
    The Shield
    The Sopranos
    Lost