Options

Foxsat-HDR - best deals and availability thread (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    worldmaker wrote: »
    If they're wholesaling at about £250 then you can expect them to go for about £800 at Norfilms with their cashback offer.

more norfilms spam:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    Yes load of utter guff is that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Most of the current discount offers on STB's come to an end on the 14th Nov, my guess is for the PVR to be available to buy w/c 17th Nov.......
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,593
    Forum Member
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised that none of the major retailers have anything online that can be pre-ordered yet, given the demand...

I suspect they aren't interested in pre-orders for future products, they should be able to sell all they can get as soon as they are released, so why bother with web pre-ordering?.
  • Options
    beejay3beejay3 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I suspect they aren't interested in pre-orders for future products, they should be able to sell all they can get as soon as they are released, so why bother with web pre-ordering?.
    According to my local John Lewis store if you put yourself on the list to be advised when stock comes in you are telephoned and have the option to reserve for collection. Effectively, you are pre-ordering.
    I've put myself on the list so we'll see what happens. I am not in a hurry and the JL 2 year guarantee is handy.
  • Options
    NickF22NickF22 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    beejay3 wrote: »
    According to my local John Lewis store if you put yourself on the list to be advised when stock comes in you are telephoned and have the option to reserve for collection. Effectively, you are pre-ordering.
    I've put myself on the list so we'll see what happens. I am not in a hurry and the JL 2 year guarantee is handy.
    But if you ask to be told when they're in stock on the web, you only give an email address, not a phone number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    The local shopping centre is holding a pre-Christmas shopping evening by invitation only and I understand all retailers are offering 10-20% discounts. I'm curious as to whether this should apply to the HUMAX.

Its worth looking out for such promotions as retailers are worrying about poor christmas sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yves wrote: »
    The local shopping centre is holding a pre-Christmas shopping evening by invitation only and I understand all retailers are offering 10-20% discounts. I'm curious as to whether this should apply to the HUMAX.

It rather depends if they have any in stock or not?, if it's anything like the Freesat 'launch' then product may be scarce?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HUMAX would have to be pretty stupid to have spent all that money developing the PVR then have a shortage of product in the shops pre-Christmas.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HUMAX would have to be pretty stupid to have spent all that money developing the PVR then have a shortage of product in the shops pre-Christmas.
    Not if the sales of the PVR takes off beyond all expectations as for example the Nintendo Wii did. Pretty unlikely I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You could say exactly the same about the original Freesat launch, or the Sky HD launch, or almost anything else.

It would be extremely rare to have enough product available at product launch for a successful product - if it bombs, that's a different matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be extremely rare to have enough product available at product launch for a successful product - if it bombs, that's a different matter.

Yes, things can never add up in this respect. Not many companies can afford to stockpile product for a number of months prior to launch. Esp. somethign like this where the spec. could change; also, if you could have started stockpiling in, say, June then you could have launched earlier and started to get your money back. Now, it would also be difficult to manufacture thousands of the boxes close to launch; who would be able to set up manufacturing in such a way and then throttle it back after the launch?

The there is the question about it being a flop (I KNOW that won't happen here :D, but there are few guarantees in life).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would say a shortage of PVR boxes pre-Christmas would be an economic disaster for HUMAX.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would say a shortage of PVR boxes pre-Christmas would be an economic disaster for HUMAX.

How would selling all you can make be an 'economic disaster'?.

Sounds like it would be an overwhelming success at that.
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like it would be an overwhelming success at that.

I bet theres a ship load on its way from China and with luck Mr Brown is about to reduce the rate of VAT making then cheaper :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    If there is, they are all fakes, they're made in Korea !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because HUMAX should have made more.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worldmaker wrote: »
    If they're wholesaling at about £250 then you can expect them to go for about £800 at Norfilms with their cashback offer.

Why on earth would you pay £500 for a foxsat HD box?
  • Options
    NickF22NickF22 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Because apparently you get it back when their "project" gets off the ground.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CanaryPhil wrote: »
    If there is, they are all fakes, they're made in Korea !

All together now (Tis nearly the season) - Oh no they're not!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=24899332&highlight=poland#post24899332
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like it was for Nintendo with the Wii and Apple with the first iphone?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As other people have indicated, it just doesn't work like that. I can't go into all of the theoretical factors and forces (and I have to say theoretical, because my experience in this area is mainly academic), but being able to have sold more of a product, esp. when you have the one product desired by a market, is not ideal, but it isn't an economic disaster by any stretch. It will be far more annoying to the potential customers, but unless you move away from mainstream Freesat, there are no alternative products.

If Humax now said to the manufacturer "okay, we have now finished testing and it is ready for production, we want fifty thousand boxes ready for mid-November and one thousand boxes a week after that" then how the hell is the manufacturer going to produce those boxes without massive ramping-up costs to their production facility? How is that cost going to be absorbed? There will need to be training for people who, in mid-November, will all be let go once the initial batch has been produced. A very simplistic view, I know, and avoiding lots of other factors, but it is just one hurdle in the process.

Good luck to Humax, lets hope they get the balance right and both Humax and their customers are happy.
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we are on the 11th November and the official freesat website still states the Foxsat-HDR will be available mid-November.
    So I take it I will be able to purchase mine by this Saturday.......................:rolleyes:;):)
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax are stating they will not be selling the Foxsat-HDR until December via their own website-http://humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10073&cat=stb
    Can Bob_Cat shed any light?
  • Options
    snaithgsnaithg Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bampsam wrote: »
    Humax are stating they will not be selling the Foxsat-HDR until December via their own website-http://humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10073&cat=stb
    Can Bob_Cat shed any light?

They're leaving it a bit late to catch the Xmas sales rush :confused:

Graham.