Options

Mother fined for feeding ducks (Merged)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Pardon my ignorance. I had no idea that bread was bad for ducks. It always seemed the thing to do. I will certainly stop doing it now that I know.

You naughty so and so. Not only have you partaken in an activity which causes rat infestations, but youv'e been poisoning the local duck population.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Pardon my ignorance. I had no idea that bread was bad for ducks. It always seemed the thing to do. I will certainly stop doing it now that I know.

Me neither...although at my local pond it's gulls, swans and terrifying geese who get most of the goodies!
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As You_mo says, a few breadcrumbs by the side of the canal is a different situation to leaving half a loaf in the park. Bread's not actually poisonous or anything, but too much can be really bad for them. Your soul is probably safe.
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    I wonder if ducks ever crave some crispy human.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Actually I bet this lady hasn't broken any law so the fine should be contested.
    The council can't make stuff up as they go along. How can tossing a few crumbs for ducks to eat be considered littering in the eye of the law?

Will gardener's get done for sewing seeds next?
  • Options
    aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    Actually I bet this lady hasn't broken any law so the fine should be contested.
    The council can't make stuff up as they go along. How can tossing a few crumbs for ducks to eat be considered littering in the eye of the law?

Will gardener's get done for sewing seeds next?

If they are it will be a stitch-up!

*gets coat...*
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    As You_mo says, a few breadcrumbs by the side of the canal is a different situation to leaving half a loaf in the park. Bread's not actually poisonous or anything, but too much can be really bad for them. Your soul is probably safe.

Half a loaf bad enough; at our local pond people dump up to half a dozen loaves at a time, with the wrappers. Makes a dreadful mess, I would happily fine them. Actually a fine is not enough.
  • Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An article on a story from the Daily Mail showing up how 'ridiculous' Britain is, wihle the headline is utter toss, and the perfectly rational explanation can be found by reading beyond the 'OMG OUTRAGE' crap...

The legend of JPD lives on.
    Never Forget.
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    ducks are vicious..... and when they see a loaf of bread.. Run for the Hills people..

i like giving them salt and vinagar pringles lol
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well something does not scan, for sure.

The article says that the warden approached her and warned her of overfeeding the dusks, and she says she complied and closed the bag - and he then gave her a ticket.

Why?

Oh of course, those who believe such nonsense will start screaming infringement of civil liberties, power-crazed wardens etc.

But somethings missing here - like all such tabloid stories, we are not getting the full story...because what we have makes no sense.

It's possible, of course, that we aren't getting the full story, though the council's efforts to put their side don't really make them look any better.

What we have makes perfect sense, though, and I see no reason to doubt it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    That's mental. She should have just run off.
  • Options
    CalphurniaCalphurnia Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »

Or given the name and address of somebody she really dislikes!
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's possible, of course, that we aren't getting the full story, though the council's efforts to put their side don't really make them look any better.

What we have makes perfect sense, though, and I see no reason to doubt it.

It has nothing to do with the 'councils efforts' to put their side - the paper will report what it sees fit.

Do you never wonder why the more sensationalist aspects of the story are usually at the top, and the usually brief and vague comments from the authority or organisation involved are usually at the bottom...and they are usually only a sentence or two, despite the fact that a full statement would have been issued?

If you are so happy to accept the reported version of events, I think you are stunningly naive when it comes to the practises of the media and tabloid newspapers.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    Calphurnia wrote: »

Very good points.

The words 'Go and f**k yourself you f***ing jobsworth c**t.' immediately spring to mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Calphurnia wrote: »
    Yeah. I always give them Bill Car's name and address. He lives at 10 King Road. Ipswich.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingsd316 wrote: »
    i always thought you couldnt be fined for dropping biodegradable things?

:confused: Eh?

Using that logic it would be OK to discard apple cores, orange peel, banana skins, paper bags, used matches, unfiltered cigarette butts, cigar butts, used chip paper, any leftover food, ..... etc, etc.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has nothing to do with the 'councils efforts' to put their side - the paper will report what it sees fit.

Do you never wonder why the more sensationalist aspects of the story are usually at the top, and the usually brief and vague comments from the authority or organisation involved are usually at the bottom...and they are usually only a sentence or two, despite the fact that a full statement would have been issued?

If you are so happy to accept the reported version of events, I think you are stunningly naive when it comes to the practises of the media and tabloid newspapers.

Other organs have reported more of the council's side, and it didn't come out any better.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Story here

First kids can't climb trees, then they can't play conkers - now they can't go and feed the ducks at the local park!

Well, actually, they can as they're too young to prosecute but their parents can't.:rolleyes:

To pre-empt half of the DS comedians - it's QUACKERS!

:o

For the warden to say that it was OK for her child to throw bread for the ducks, but not her, is farcical to the point of Alice in wonderland absurdity.

I just wonder if the reaction would have been the same of the ground had been frozen, snow covered, and the lake iced over. Somehow I doubt that prat of a warden would have even been there.

I would have ripped up the "ticket" and shoved it in his face.
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member

A little bit of broken Britain just got superglued back on.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kingsd316 wrote: »
    i always thought you couldnt be fined for dropping biodegradable things?

You can, there was a thread on here about someone being fined for throwing away an apple core, any that women in Manchester fined for dropping (or her child dropping) a Wotsit.