Flying Widde

Comments

• Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    number six wrote: »
    If the rope snaps she could take out half the audience :D

That's why I don't understand the Beeb let them do it.
    Will the Beeb let the audience sign release forms? :D
  • Options
    nedtheatomicnedtheatomic Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Don't see what all the fuss is about, one, this is Strictly Come Dancing we're talking about not some biting Ken Loach social drama.

Two, if ever there was an old witch in need of a ducking stool it's that rabid tory.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    The only thing is, Ann has been set up as a novelty act from the off. She knows it, and so does Anton, and they are playing to this as much as possible. The fact that she makes John Sergeant look like Ricky Whittle is apparently irrelevant. :rolleyes:

And the producers are milking Ann's presence for all its worth (not a lot, in my book ...). This story - obviously leaked to the Daily Mail for publicity purposes - is the worst example so far of the prominence Ann is being given. No other contestant is being given the same attention, the same pre-performance build-up or the same hype.

I wonder how the others feel about this - especially those in the middle of the leader board, who are most vulnerable to the Widdinator. What would happen if they put in as little effort as she does? At least John Sergeant tried.

Moira Ross is playing a dangerous game with the Strictly format: yes, it's an entertainment show, but even the less gifted dancers have always learned the steps they've been given, rather than relied on cheap tricks like we are going to be subject to tomorrow.

This joke isn't funny any more.

Normally we are like twins with our replies on here, but we are not in complete agreement this time Servalan.

I do agree about the risk that Moira Ross is taking and I think allowing a celeb couple to use the harness is a step too far and a BIG mistake.

I also agree the partnership of Ann and Anton was solely intended to swell the element of entertainment, but then again, so was partnering Paul with Ola. Paul used props every week, but so far the only 'prop' Ann has used is the feather boa. The rest of the time Ann's routines have been about her trying her best with the limited, but creative choreography that Anton has devised for her.

But I do think Ann has tried much harder than JS to learn the dances. Lots of people connected with the show (including the pros) have commented on how hard she is trying (e.g. on ITT). I also think Ann is far more entertaining than JS ever was.

Would I have had either of them on the show in the first place? No. However, it has been a big surprise to me how much I have enjoyed Ann taking part and until this harness business cropped up, there were a couple of celebs I was willing to put up with being eliminated before Ann. Not now.
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a bird? Is it a plane?...... No - Its SUPER-ANN Dancing on Air

Despite being scared of heights Ann is being very brave in being the first participant to take to the air in her Tango this week, there really is no denying that she is leading the way all the way to the Final, its going to be a fabulous show this week, can't wait, good luck Ann.

http://twitpic.com/2zvkgf

http://bit.ly/cpQN67
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What fun. Not. :(
  • Options
    KiwiJayKiwiJay Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the Americanisation, but to see Anne flying will still be gold...I still enjoy a light, fluffy SCD without the DWTS additions...but we really need to just go with what we get and so far, this has been a well worth it series (bar Alesha over Karen Hardy, gimmicks etc)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Does it matter........
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally we are like twins with our replies on here, but we are not in complete agreement this time Servalan.

I do agree about the risk that Moira Ross is taking and I think allowing a celeb couple to use the harness is a step too far and a BIG mistake.

I also agree the partnership of Ann and Anton was solely intended to swell the element of entertainment, but then again, so was partnering Paul with Ola. Paul used props every week, but so far the only 'prop' Ann has used is the feather boa. The rest of the time Ann's routines have been about her trying her best with the limited, but creative choreography that Anton has devised for her.

But I do think Ann has tried much harder than JS to learn the dances. Lots of people connected with the show (including the pros) have commented on how hard she is trying (e.g. on ITT). I also think Ann is far more entertaining than JS ever was.

Would I have had either of them on the show in the first place? No. However, it has been a big surprise to me how much I have enjoyed Ann taking part and until this harness business cropped up, there were a couple of celebs I was willing to put up with being eliminated before Ann. Not now.

OMG - does this mean we aren't psychic twins any more?! :eek::cry:;):D

Sorry, but Paul's props were [a] minimal and part of Moira Ross' cheese-fest in which routines make references to celebs' professions. They weren't to my taste but I don't think they were intended to overshadow any dance content, which Ann herself has pretty much admitted the harness is.

I was no JS fan and, like you, would rather not have either him or AW in the show. However, what happened with him was at least organic until the anti-BBC newspapers fuelled the hysteria and Arlene put her size tens in it by telling the public how they should vote. AW has been deliberately engaged to replicate the 'entertainment' JS brought to the show but this time is being encouraged to do so. And I have to take issue with the suggestion that she is trying more than JS did: Kristina had more dance content in her routines for him and certainly didn't reduce them to finger-wagging and walking around, which pretty much summed up Ann's salsa. She isn't even making an effort with her posture.

I am all for Strictly being a mixture of a dancing competition and an entertainment show - but Ann is very obviously taking the p***, and being encouraged to do so by the producers. If she is continually hyped in this way, she will obliterate the strong female contenders (Pamela, Kara) and others starting to snap at their heels (Tina, Patsy), and we will end up with the guys with strong female support (Scott, Matt and possibly Jimi) as the only people who can stop her winning. And now that continuing in the show is linked to money, I can't see Ann doing the honourable thing and bowing out early ...
  • Options
    Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One rule for Ann, another for the rest of them?:rolleyes:

I hope not as that would seriously put me off her!

This wire thing is gonna be cringey.
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Flying Widde

Whatever does she look like in that harness :eek: funny no, silly yes...how I wish she would fly far away.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottom line is, it will increase viewer numbers.

As for it not being in keeping with the Tango - doesn't Len often refer to the sweaty Gaucho coming into town to meet a 'lady of the night?'.

Maybe they had Gaucho's who were into grannies in black catsuits hanging in harnesses from the ceiling?
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    fatskia wrote: »
    Bottom line is, it will increase viewer numbers.

As for it not being in keeping with the Tango - doesn't Len often refer to the sweaty Gaucho coming into town to meet a 'lady of the night?'.

Maybe they had Gaucho's who were into grannies in black catsuits hanging in harnesses from the ceiling?

It is hard to imagine any Gaucho who wouldn't run a mile if he saw Flying Widde descending on him!:D:D
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one won't be watching her. The thing is that the BBC say it is an entertainment show, not just a dancing show. While I agree with their take on the programme, I just don't find Ann W entertaining at all. I cannot even stay in the room when she is on. It is making me feel quite depressed that they have spoilt what was my favourite programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it should provide some embarrassed laughter, I suppose. I don't see why all these props are necessary. Far better to do as they do on DOI and have 'props week'. That would have been the time to put Ann in a harness.

On second thoughts, I'm not sure there IS a good time to put Ann in a harness! :eek:
  • Options
    molo flapianmolo flapian Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panto horse is now a donkey pinata :D
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    OMG - does this mean we aren't psychic twins any more?! :eek::cry:;):D...

I'm sure once Ann has gone we will be joined at the hip again!:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    There's going to be one Godalmighty camel toe with those wires pulling at her waistband.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt think Flavia and Vincent carried it off well when the wire was used . If they cant make it elegant what hope has Ann .? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's going to be one Godalmighty camel toe with those wires pulling at her waistband.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I can't eat my evening meal now!!!

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flutegirl wrote: »
    What HAVE the bbc done to this show...?? :(

There are thousands of people asking that question. It's such a shame. :(:cry:
  • Options
    PinkyPigPinkyPig Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well there wasn't, and she carried it off well, IMO.

I am loving her contribution and it has kept me watching the show.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I misread the title of this thread and thought it said "Flying Widdle". Although now I've actually watched it I don't think I misread it at all...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    PinkyPig wrote: »
    Well there wasn't, and she carried it off well, IMO.

I am loving her contribution and it has kept me watching the show.

I'm with you PinkyPig! It's just a little bit of fun really. Probably better dancers will go out of the competition before la Widdicome but there are not many that are as entertaining. I know it's a dancing contest etc. etc. but there has to be a little room for fun...
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are thousands of people asking that question. It's such a shame. :(:cry:

The BBC have started to copy DWTS which made changes to the last season in order to freshen it up ie props, themed dance evenings etc etc.

DWTS has become better for it because they've brought the changes in more slowly, and the whole show is much more professional than the BBC panto. Alas the Strictly panto, with changes and the doddery old fool, has just become a cringeworthy Saturday night comedy/entertainment show.