Options

Derren Brown: The Events (merged)

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    If there's any camera trickery involved it looks to me like there's a cut just after he turns off the TV and walks in front of it - he seems to briefly pause and almost takes a step backwards.

I'm going with the split screen idea because I can't see any other way of doing the trick, even though Derren is not one for using camera tricks normally.

If he's spent the last year setting it up, as he claims, then that supports the idea that he's been very carefully rehearsing his movements and timing (he's certainly obsessional enough to spend an extraordinary amount of time practicing :-)

Agreed. This for me is where the switch happens. Something fishy happens there. His talking speeds up too as if we flipped from pre-recorded to live.

I'm off to bed now. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    untitled wrote: »
    I agree. Watch the youtube video, all the balls are level as he starts reading the numbers out, the constantly shaky camera then becomes motionless for a second, and all of a sudden the ball on the left has slightly popped up. This is the point where the left of the screen switches from a Speed-esque loop to live.

Just watched it back and definitely the camera freezes when he says 28, so I agree with the theory they froze the screen and brought in the numbers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was originally sold on the split screen thing, but now I think that's wrong. I reckon the balls are replaced, but what we're seeing around the ball stand is some sort of optical illusion.

I just get the feeling a camera trick isn't the answer.

EDIT: Think about it. Split screen/looping footage to fool people, as seen in Speed, 24 and loads of other things, was the first thing a lot of people thought of. So it almost certainly won't be the answer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be a collaboration of magicians? With Derren presenting, could David Blaine be living inside the draw machine for a week, Uri Geller bending the picker to collect the correct ball that David is putting into it? Pan back the camera and Copperfield could be cheesily levitating above to act as misdirection, while just after the broadcast ended Paul Daniels and (the lovely) Debbie McGee wheeled in the tea and biscuit trolley?

When it's revealed on Friday you'll all wonder how I knew! :D
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Too complicated with a moving camera, plus they wouldn't have had time to ready each piece of footage. They couldn't have done it as each ball was announced because at that point, they couldn't know which position would be correct when they were arranged in ascending order.

True. For some reason, I think it'll be along these lines though.
  • Options
    NeitNeit Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g_attrill wrote: »
    Yes, I have watched it too and agree - as noted previously when he says "28" the movement freezes for 2-3 seconds, this is where there is some trickery is involved and the balls are replaced, the balls were flat and then the 39 one is higher (this is obvious in the close-up).

the ball doesnt move at all, look at it before he turns it around
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and what is that supposed to mean
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After each number is said, you can clearly see something going up the tube stand to where the "balls" are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I now think it is something else, and we have been misdirected by split screen theories and poping balls, I think Derren himself has posted these on here to keep us all going.

He is controlling us and distracting us from the real solution!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    bob.cryer wrote: »
    After each number is said, you can clearly see something going up the tube stand to where the "balls" are.

You can't! You watch it so many times you convince yourself that something is happening when it isn't. I'm willing to put a wager that it's something to do with perspective/optical illusion - he's been on about it all week on the blog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...Untitled-8.png
    you can clearly see there is something black over the balls, i thought there may be some sort of laser writing, like lightscribe for cds.
    or something over the balls. which put the number on
    so when he stands behind the balls in his black suit you dont see it

also the 2nd camera is to show on friday the black thing

there is no audience because they would see the black 'thing'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friz wrote: »
    You can't! You watch it so many times you convince yourself that something is happening when it isn't. I'm willing to put a wager that it's something to do with perspective/optical illusion - he's been on about it all week on the blog.

I now agree that this is the case. The way he walks in front of the TV then behind the stand is odd.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He says in the ads 4 HIGHLY COMPLEX events of misdirection. Is it just me or is camera freezing and time delaying and printing numbers are not HIGHLY COMPLEX forms of misdirection. When the friday show a lot of people may be kicking themselves for seeing how simple it was or maybe not.

WHY CANT YOU JUST ADMIT IT WAS A GOOD TRICK EVEN IF THE CAMERA WAS FROZEN THEY CERTAINLY MADE IT SEEM LIKE IT WASNT

I don't think that the people who are speculating on how it was done are actually complaining.:confused:

Half of the fun of magic is figuring out how it was done.
    Why are you assuming that people are being negative about it when they're only having fun trying to figure it out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also on the close up, you see where the numbers are printed is slightly flatter so it may be a screen in the ball.

accept it you know im right
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Friz wrote: »

That's exactly what I think.

I still can't notice half the stuff people are pointing out- like you say, people convince themselves something is there when it isn't- probably the same type of people who believe in ghosts :p
  • Options
    mdHekLamdHekLa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    They couldn't have put 23 in the 3rd place as they said it, as they didn't know it was the 3rd number.
  • Options
    g_attrillg_attrill Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    you can clearly see there is something black over the balls, i thought there may be some sort of laser writing, like lightscribe for cds.

You link was broken, hopefully this is a fixed one.

Anyway, I spotted the back line and thought it was an artifact, but looking at other shots I think it's just a line of dark bricks on the wall.
  • Options
    DazzmillerDazzmiller Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I reckon this is EXACTLY what Brown wants.

I reckon it could be as simple as the fact that the draw has allready taken place. Earlier today could have been at around half past seven, when the sale of lotto tickets is unable to occur.

The fact that we're debating all these possible situations could be exactly the misdirection that was intended in the first place.

The fact about "announcing" the results, might be a key statement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No pic displaying for me, it reverts back to the homepage??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there really does look like something is going up the tube about a second after the number is announced
  • Options
    iamhumaniamhuman Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also if you look the whole thing is filmed at an angle. Neither the podium, the tv or darren are directly in front of the camera but their slightly off the left a little.

Also could it be possible that the glass stand holding the balls is actually much further back than the black base? Its almost as if he has to lift it up separately then place it back down.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some of you need to go back to pg 36 as we've already solved these arguments!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    some of you need to go back to pg 36 as we've already solved these arguments!

I bet it's not the Speed effect. That would be a rubbish explanation and basic camera trickery.
  • Options
    iamhumaniamhuman Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be something simple i bet.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still feel for most of it we were watching pre recorded footage of DB watching a blank screen. That is the genius of this trick, it must have taken him ages to plan and time the lottery draws and pace himself so is the viewers would think he was stood there live, when in reality we were watching his pre recorded footage with the BBC 1 image super imposed onto the prop tv. And the positioning for the switch from pre recorded footage to live was so good I can't visually spot it. I think next week he will tell is how long they practiced it and how many times it took etc to get it so good.

If that's how he did it, bravo db.
This discussion has been closed.