Options

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe (Series 2) - BBC2 Thursdays, 10pm

Comments

• Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only bit I didn't 'get' was Limmy. Is he some internet/youtube sensation? I haven't seen him before and didn't find him funny. I'm willing to admit I might be out of the loop on this one.
  • Options
    xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    The part about immigration was excellent and showed the right wing press for the nasty, hateful little shit stirrers they are. The bit where he compared the current newspaper coverage of immigration to the 1940 Nazi propaganda film The Eternal Jew was spot on, the language being used by the Mail and the Express is dehmanising in the same way the Nazis dehumanised the Jews.
    /QUOTE]

Yes but this show is little more than typical BBC left wing propagander. And the Nazi reference is the easiest, laziest way of trying to shut down any kind of debate on social issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I prefer Charlie moving quickly through news and events with a resigned, biting cynicism mixed with a tinge of anger. The immigration section was too long, particularly with Stanhope continuing the same theme. Same with Eastenders, it was amusing but sometimes less is more.//

I agree. The immigration section went on far, far too long and to be honest, I gave up and went to bed. I like CB and think that many times he has his finger right on the pulse but this seemed to me to be propoganda - I don't really know why Stanhope was asked to showcase immigration issues in the UK ... he doesn't live here.

I love Philomena Cunk and will probably catch up with the bits I missed later but I was disappointed.:(
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xflare wrote: »

Yes but this show is little more than typical BBC left wing propagander. And the Nazi reference is the easiest, laziest way of trying to shut down any kind of debate on social issues.

Nah the best, easiest and laziest way of shutting down any debate made is to blather about the BBCs left-wing bias, despite him eviscerating Milliband.

For instance you can't make any point about immigration without getting three or four running in a TV thread ranting about the Beeb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was very good last night; I think I actually preferred it to 2013 Wipe.

The Romanians and Bulgarians stuff was great and I didn't think it went on for too long at all. Though I agree with others that the Doug Stanhope segment was probably surplus to requirements this time (as funny as it was), as Charlie had pretty much said all that was needed to be said.

I enjoyed the Limmy segment too. Probably because I love Limmy's Show too (and I'm not Scottish). Though I do wonder why it was on the Russell Brand stuff, considering it's not really topical. Perhaps it was a cut segment from 2013 Wipe, who knows?

The Cunk and Shitpeas stuff on the dolphin documentary was great. I especially loved Shitpeas' withering line at the end that if dolphins were the best thing the ocean had to offer, then they might as well concrete over the sea. :D Though I agree with others that Cunk's mini-documentary on time went on for far too long (ironically) and it wasn't that funny either.

So overall, very good. The 'Finding Chemo' line had me laughing out loud too. Brilliant stuff!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xflare wrote: »
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    The part about immigration was excellent and showed the right wing press for the nasty, hateful little shit stirrers they are. The bit where he compared the current newspaper coverage of immigration to the 1940 Nazi propaganda film The Eternal Jew was spot on, the language being used by the Mail and the Express is dehmanising in the same way the Nazis dehumanised the Jews.
    /QUOTE]

Hmm, it might be a cheap shot but he's got a point.

You might think that sort of thing shuts down the debate, but the hysterical reporting from some of the tabloids (i.e. talking of 'floods' and 'swarms' of people, and characterising Romanians and Bulgarians as feckless pick-pockets) is hardly conducive to a good debate either. It frankly distorts the issue and misleads people into believing the problem is worse than it actually is, which I think was the point that Charlie was trying to make. Nothing to do with PC do-gooding, leftie liberal bias or whatever. ;-)
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the Limmy segment although it wasn't very topical. Much better than Tim Key's poetry that they used to have.

But I didn't get why Doug Stanhope was talking about UK immigration issues. They should have had him telling us about the snow! Presumably his segment was also filmed some time ago? Also his argument seemed to be that if you are not highly qualified, you are worthless and therefore have no right to complain about immigrants taking your job, or did I misunderstand?
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooooo... To ask the question again

You said: "If any comedy is funny you should be able to find people who find it funny. Limmy's show fails this test."

I said it was funny. You found someone who finds it funny. How does your test work? Strange puppy or not.

Test suggest it can be called comedy.

But given how long the search has taken to find someone who calls it "mildly funny, on occasions" I think it fails the test to be worth putting on TV. For three series.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I liked the Limmy segment although it wasn't very topical. Much better than Tim Key's poetry that they used to have.

But I didn't get why Doug Stanhope was talking about UK immigration issues. They should have had him telling us about the snow! Presumably his segment was also filmed some time ago? Also his argument seemed to be that if you are not highly qualified, you are worthless and therefore have no right to complain about immigrants taking your job, or did I misunderstand?

I'm sure I've seen that standup part of his segment on Netflix or maybe YouTube, it's just been recycled.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    ... Also his argument seemed to be that if you are not highly qualified, you are worthless and therefore have no right to complain about immigrants taking your job, or did I misunderstand?

That was the jist of it I think. It was funny, but the point is that importing cheap labour will depress wages - and if your job was menial you will just have to suck up the wage cut or go on the dole. The people affected won't be re-training as brain surgeons or standup comics.(eta - lower wages also means less tax paid in and more in work benefits paid out).
    Not impressed by Limmy, but then I wasn't impressed by Tim Keys either. Good to see he's dropped the studio debate with his mates though.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the Scottish bloke.....
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    Do people think Brooker would be interested in turning his stuff into a Daily Show style riff, every day, 5 days a week, we could definitely use something like that here. Isn't this the sort of thing Dave would kill for?

I've been thinking this since he started a few years ago. The UK is sadly lacking satirical TV, personally I'd replace the sycophantic One Show with a proper Satirical Half Hour on BBC 1.
    I just don't think he'd have time to write the material. Presumably the Daily Show has a team of writers.
    Brooker has his own style and probably writes all the script himself, including Cunk & Shitpeas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like Stanhope, but I've seen the standup sets already so his stuff feels a bit forced in for the sake of it.

I think I asked this in the last series.
    Are the standup parts filmed for the show or is it a real gig?
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LMAO at most of it, much better than the 2013 one! Maybe I'm just relieved that Crapmas is 11.something months away.
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the limmy section, a bit like his vine compliations on youtube which IMO are much funnier than his x-mas show special which was utter crap.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask anyone in Scotland who has sat through a whole half hour of one of his shows - (btw no-one in Scotland knows anyone who watches his show but it keeps getting recommissions - as I said, banging one of the Execs).

Hi.
    Sadly I've never found it online, buts a Glasgow street rumour and as such hard to get the back up. But then you wont find the well known info in Glasgow about ASLEF senior exec John Gahagan's links to the drug trade either. The internet isn't the be all and end all.

It might be wrong. But seriously, go to Scotland, try and find someone who thinks "limmy's Show" is funny. It's had 3 ****ing series and 2 Christmas specials all heavily trailed and gets awful ratings.

So all you can spout in this thread is "he's banging an exec!", "he's banging an exec!" and your receipts are "Glasgow street rumours". Yeah, I don't think so. He was a YouTube bloke who hit the big time(!) by getting a sketch series commissioned on BBC Scotland. Even if he were "banging an exec", it hardly makes the slightest difference when so few people have actually heard of him. But a few folk, who for some reason need to actually live in Scotland to be counted according to you, do know and enjoy his comedy. What a shocker!

Enjoyed the episode but needed much, much more Charlie. The pacing felt off -- they only really covered immigration and Eastenders (whyyy) in great depth. Cunk and Shitpeas get on my nerves, so I don't know why they wasted so much "time" on Cunk's sketch -- it wasn't even topical. (Also, naturally I come on DSpy and everyone's praising that bit!) However, the phrase "one-man hoard" has kept me entertained for a while, so there is that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Enjoyed the episode but needed much, much more Charlie. The pacing felt off -- they only really covered immigration and Eastenders (whyyy) in great depth. Cunk and Shitpeas get on my nerves, so I don't know why they wasted so much "time" on Cunk's sketch -- it wasn't even topical. (Also, naturally I come on DSpy and everyone's praising that bit!) However, the phrase "one-man hoard" has kept me entertained for a while, so there is that.
    It was a hark back to when Brooker used to do the sketches e.g. How to do a news report.
    So in that way it was good to see that kind of thing back.
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    (btw no-one in Scotland knows anyone who watches his show

You're incorrect.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If any comedy is funny you should be able to find people who find it funny. Limmy's show fails this test.

I love Limmy's Show.
    Therefore, using your criteria, it must be funny.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got round to watching this & it was very funny indeed.

Charlie Brooker has a great talent & I'm glad his 'Wipe' shows are back on regularly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Shitpeas has had his schtick taken and done slightly better by Cunk, which is a bit of a shame. I didn't enjoy Limmy at all.
    Charlie Brooker is great as always, if a little haggard looking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy_Girl wrote: »
    Shitpeas has had his schtick taken and done slightly better by Cunk, which is a bit of a shame. I didn't enjoy Limmy at all.
    Charlie Brooker is great as always, if a little haggard looking.

I always thought his 'haggard' look was intentional and part of his appeal regarding his distaste for what's popular/in style. I'd be disappointed if he ever got plastic surgery or a face lift or botox.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I always thought his 'haggard' look was intentional and part of his appeal regarding his distaste for what's popular/in style. I'd be disappointed if he ever got plastic surgery or a face lift or botox.

Hmm, nah I think he probably just stays up too late playing computer games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:cool:
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More likely playing with Konnie if he's any sense. :p