Options

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe (Series 2) - BBC2 Thursdays, 10pm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    Three Series funny?

Mildly funny, better than some. Maybe I should "go to Scotland" for the real picture. Oh wait...
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree that more Charlie Brooker is needed - especially considering his name is in the title. And also, why are there segments referring to events that happened months ago such as Russell Brand when it's meant to be a weekly show? I'd have thought that all that stuff should have been covered in 2013 wipe.

Other than that, a pretty excellent opener - Finding Chemo was genius.
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mildly funny, better than some. Maybe I should "go to Scotland" for the real picture. Oh wait...

If you really do live in Scotland (and your name suggests you might but its the internet so no guarantees) then you are the first person living here I have ever met that thinks Limmy's Show has merit.

And even then, its only mild merit. On occasions.

Not the best recommendation for a series to get recommissioned twice (actually again the Glasgow rumour is it was commissioned for 5 series before the first one aired).

If any comedy is funny you should be able to find people who find it funny. Limmy's show fails this test.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Limmy's brother is a massive sectarian shite apparently. Limmy himself has always been quite scathing about that kind of thing mind you, might explain it.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    I thought it was OK, but Charlie Brooker, Shitpeas and Cunk are the only people I really want on this show.

I could do without the other unfunny contributors that seem to be taking up more and more time.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Not bad, not brilliant either, needs more Charlie IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you really do live in Scotland (and your name suggests you might but its the internet so no guarantees) then you are the first person living here I have ever met that thinks Limmy's Show has merit.

And even then, its only mild merit. On occasions.

Not the best recommendation for a series to get recommissioned twice (actually again the Glasgow rumour is it was commissioned for 5 series before the first one aired).

If any comedy is funny you should be able to find people who find it funny. Limmy's show fails this test.

I'm in Glasgow. Im from Glasgow. You just found someone who finds it funny. How does that test work again?
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Stanhope, but I've seen the standup sets already so his stuff feels a bit forced in for the sake of it.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of Limmy before. I never want to hear from him again.

Cunk docu thing went on too long. Far too long.

If anyone needs more time - it's Stanhope!
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Not bad, not brilliant either, needs more Charlie IMO.

I agree. I've laughed more watching previous shows.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The part about immigration was excellent and showed the right wing press for the nasty, hateful little shit stirrers they are. The bit where he compared the current newspaper coverage of immigration to the 1940 Nazi propaganda film The Eternal Jew was spot on, the language being used by the Mail and the Express is dehmanising in the same way the Nazis dehumanised the Jews.

I've always said that these rags were similar to Der Stürmer.

Aside from that it was funny, but as others have said it needed more Charlie.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    The part about immigration was excellent and showed the right wing press for the nasty, hateful little shit stirrers they are. The bit where he compared the current newspaper coverage of immigration to the 1940 Nazi propaganda film The Eternal Jew was spot on, the language being used by the Mail and the Express is dehmanising in the same way the Nazis dehumanised the Jews.

I've always said that these rags were similar to Der Stürmer.

Aside from that it was funny, but as others have said it needed more Charlie.

The thing is that was propaganda in itself.

I personally thought the section about immigration went on for far too long. It felt like ages. Also The Eastenders bit felt overlong as well.

The show is usually a bit snappier than this with less bits that are dragged out, and more content which skips along to the next content.

If they're going to have a guest spot like Limmy I'd much prefer that time to be devoted to something good like an Adam Curtis mini-documentary.
  • Options
    highfrequencyhighfrequency Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Good first ep.:)

Didn't like some bits (extended Cunk bit & Limmy:confused:), but that's my personal opinion.

Stanhope bit was good and Charlie's sections were better than last series.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    That news presenter is weird
    Kate Silverton?
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know who Limmy is and didn't really like him. Is he going to be a regular feature does anyone know?
    No better than that bloke who used to read his daft poetry in the last series. Unfortunately it is likely to be a regular, they all are, but it gives you a chance to go to the bog or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I personally thought the section about immigration went on for far too long
    . It felt like ages. Also The Eastenders bit felt overlong as well.

The show is usually a bit snappier than this with less bits that are dragged out, and more content which skips along to the next content.

If they're going to have a guest spot like Limmy I'd much prefer that time to be devoted to something good like an Adam Curtis mini-documentary.

I'd say it was a pretty accurate assessment of the Mail and the Express, I came to the conclusion that these papers were full of hate-mongering, inaccurate and agenda-driven shite ages ago when I was a kid. Of course all the media has an agenda to some degree it's just that these papers seem particularly poisonous and insidious. It's no surprise that it was the main topic, the papers haven't shut up about the imaginary "hordes of Romanians and Bulgarians" recently.

Perhaps they should have spent less time on certain parts, but overall it was good.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    Philomena Cunk is disturbingly close to Brian Cox on screen.

Just about to post that myself, it could be intentional or maybe it's just how their accents sound to my Southern ears. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    Philomena Cunk is disturbingly close to Brian Cox on screen.

The piece Cunk and Shitpeas did from the last series on Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe was hilarious.
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Glasgow. Im from Glasgow. You just found someone who finds it funny. How does that test work again?

First time. And that makes you a very strange puppy.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I personally thought the section about immigration went on for far too long. It felt like ages. Also The Eastenders bit felt overlong as well.

I agree. I prefer Charlie moving quickly through news and events with a resigned, biting cynicism mixed with a tinge of anger. The immigration section was too long, particularly with Stanhope continuing the same theme. Same with Eastenders, it was amusing but sometimes less is more. I don't think Limmy added much to the programme, Shitpeas and Cunk were ok though..in my opinion.
    As you say, not quite snappy and sharp enough for my liking. Still good, but not great. Much preferred the 2013 roundup show which really had me in stitches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First time. And that makes you a very strange puppy.

Sooooo... To ask the question again

You said: "If any comedy is funny you should be able to find people who find it funny. Limmy's show fails this test."

I said it was funny. You found someone who finds it funny. How does your test work? Strange puppy or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    I'd say it was a pretty accurate assessment of the Mail and the Express, I came to the conclusion that these papers were full of hate-mongering, inaccurate and agenda-driven shite ages ago when I was a kid. Of course all the media has an agenda to some degree it's just that these papers seem particularly poisonous and insidious. It's no surprise that it was the main topic, the papers haven't shut up about the imaginary "hordes of Romanians and Bulgarians" recently.

Perhaps they should have spent less time on certain parts, but overall it was good.

All propaganda has an element of truth to it.
    When it compared these papers with Nazis by showing a clip from The Eternal Jew, that is pure propaganda.
    I'll repeat that bit again, it compared the papers with Nazis:D
    Do that on here by comparing something with Hitler or the Nazis you'll be in for a bit of a hard time from posters replying to that.

I think that if someone happens to strongly agree with the opinion already they're more likely to see it as an accurate assessment. There's possibly less chance of recognising it as propaganda because that's how propaganda works.

Now, I agree with many of Charlie Brooker's opinions, but even I can see that he was using propaganda for his own ends there.
    I don't begrudge him having political opinions, because he's always given them, and I more often than not tend to agree a lot with them much of the time. But now I'm starting to find that more of his pieces are too heavy handed with the the political ranting at the expense of very funny comedy.

In fact I agree with him that immigrants are often portrayed in a stereotypical way. That was a good point I thought. But the more it went on the more heavy handed it felt, and the humour wasn't at the high standard he's been capable of in the past, until the comedy was hardly evident and it came across more as one long political rant.

In the past I've found him to be more effective at making a point where he keeps things tighter and funnier.
    I'd also add that I find his targets quite easy and obvious nowadays as well, and are usually points covered by many shows already.
    In the past he'd usually pick his targets well and I enjoyed the show for him having a go at things that nobody else seemed to. It felt fresh and different compared to other TV shows. It was like he had a voice speaking about things which no one else even covered.

I think the show was okay, but I get a bit bored with it now at points, where before I never got bored for a minute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I prefer Charlie moving quickly through news and events with a resigned, biting cynicism mixed with a tinge of anger. The immigration section was too long, particularly with Stanhope continuing the same theme. Same with Eastenders, it was amusing but sometimes less is more. I don't think Limmy added much to the programme, Shitpeas and Cunk were ok though..in my opinion.
    As you say, not quite snappy and sharp enough for my liking. Still good, but not great. Much preferred the 2013 roundup show which really had me in stitches.

Exactly. That's exactly what I used to like about earlier Wipe series.:)
    It's what I tuned in for.
    Make the point, take the piss in a very funny way, then move on.
    That way more content was covered. I also believe that points were better made that way.

It did feel like the show was made up of fewer but much longer sections than it used to be in it's earlier Wipe incarnations.

At the start of the show it briefly mentioned Sherlock and showed a brief clip and I was looking forward to see him review the series, even before last night's show aired. But it was not to be. So I was disappointed with that. It is a bit of a TV event and it's been away for a long time so I don't know why he didn't bother with it. I know that it isn't Screenwipe anymore but I think more television shows could have been covered than just Eastenders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Just about to post that myself, it could be intentional or maybe it's just how their accents sound to my Southern ears. ;)

I'm pretty sure it was intentional to present it all like a Brian Cox 'sciency' show.

I agree with some that it did seem to go on for a bit long, it almost felt as though it had gone into a different show, but I did quite enjoy that bit.
    They did make it very much in the same vein as those science shows like Brian Cox shows, with the way in which it was filmed, the way Cunk walks past curious items of interest and looks at them as she walks off camera.
    Pretty much filmed and made in exactly the same way, except in place of an expert guiding us along they put a complete idiot in there instead.:D
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A bit like the immigration debate itself then..

I enjoy this show, it's not laugh-out-loud stuff and it isn't meant to be, it's just a light-hearted look at the news for those times when it all gets too much.