Options

Welcome to soft touch UK

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder they don't want to stay in France, they get nothing from the French authorities.

It's just a suggestion but has our government ever considered a field and some old army tents? Most of these migrants have just come from the Calais jungle camp and now they are being put up in nice hotels. They were not put up in nice hotels in Calais.

I'm not sure we are sending out the right message here.

If they have a mobile phone they can take some photos and send them to those still in Calais so they know what to expect if they make it to the UK.

Handy for watching the Calais migrant crisis unfold on television.

Legal immigrants struggle to get anything, what is it you're suggesting illegal ones get?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    This is disgusting!! not only is my native Kent at a standstill with motorways packed with lorries making my life a pain in the backside getting to the coast to visit family but now we are expected to pay for these people? it makes me sick to my back teeth! I was in Florida a few weeks back and returned with my American fiance so that she could visit my family only to be questioned by immigration at the airport like some sort of criminal yet these people its: "come on in!!"

The only thing these people should be seeing when they arrive is a pair of handcuffs and a nice boat back to the hole they come from.

You sound like you have a lot in common with them...

Desperate to be settled with family, and upset that you're being questioned like a criminal when you're not.
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail / Evening Standard have never made up stories like these, and have always been patriotic newspapers as we know.

https://futiledemocracy.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/blackshirts1.jpg
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threads like this do make me laugh. Much misinformation being pushed by the Mail.

Also, as somebody else has pointed out, it's... interesting (to say the least) to note that hotels are actually cheaper than detention centres. Sticking refugees in B&B's actually saves us money. It's quite odd when you think about it.

Also, they don't get money, not if they entered illegally and are in detention. I think those with children are eligible for emergency sustenance money but it's far lower than what we pay even for JSA.

I just struggle to attribute blame to migrants themselves. A bunch of people, including our own newspapers, websites and TV media have sold them this idea that Britain will give them everything, which in fact it's untrue.

Basically, our own domestic 'propaganda' is being 're-sold' in foreign markets and believed, in much the same way that idiots here believe it.

They get here and realise the streets aren't paved with gold at all.

Like I say though, if I was them, I'd think trying to come here was a great idea. You can't fault their logic, I'd do the same in their shoes.

Of course though, don't let logic get in the way of a good bit of outrage... rah rah rah rah. foreigners, bloody immigrants etc. ^_^:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Threads like this do make me laugh. Much misinformation being pushed by the Mail.

Also, as somebody else has pointed out, it's... interesting (to say the least) to note that hotels are actually cheaper than detention centres. Sticking refugees in B&B's actually saves us money. It's quite odd when you think about it.

Also, they don't get money, not if they entered illegally and are in detention. I think those with children are eligible for emergency sustenance money but it's far lower than what we pay even for JSA.

I just struggle to attribute blame to migrants themselves. A bunch of people, including our own newspapers, websites and TV media have sold them this idea that Britain will give them everything, which in fact it's untrue.

Basically, our own domestic 'propaganda' is being 're-sold' in foreign markets and believed, in much the same way that idiots here believe it.

They get here and realise the streets aren't paved with gold at all.

Like I say though, if I was them, I'd think trying to come here was a great idea. You can't fault their logic, I'd do the same in their shoes.

Of course though, don't let logic get in the way of a good bit of outrage... rah rah rah rah. foreigners, bloody immigrants etc. ^_^:D

Sometimes people just need something to rant at!

Though the lack of humanity and compassion regarding these poor people is infuriating.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were similar stories in the tabloids last September about asylum seekers being housed in luxury hotels and hotels with sea views, at tax payer expense. Where the conditions and treatment of the asylum seekers turnout to not be as nice as presented when the Red Cross and left wing papers started revealing the number per room overcrowding, the lack of medical assessments and lack of appropriate food people collapsing, people being rushed to A&E, and them being frequently moved from location to location with minutes notice, and it turned out many of them appeared to be genuine asylum seekers and refugees with harrowing stories. So hopefully the tales of how nice they are being treated in luxury hotels by soft touch Britain will this time be closer to the truth and we will not end up with the Red Cross and others highlighting problems. And hopefully unlike last time we will not have instances of protests outside the hotels featured in the tabloids by people demanding immigrants go home and worse.
  • Options
    psy7chpsy7ch Posts: 10,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine being 'outraged' by a human being given a roof over their head and a very small amount of money to meet basic needs. And if we are such 'a soft touch' how come a very small proportion of migrants try to come to the UK?
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »

Asylum seekers or no asylum seekers, the place sounds a dump, not exactly luxury accommodation .

Serco need to give reason why they are using hotels rather than using their rather large profits to extend their reception centres.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    This is disgusting!! not only is my native Kent at a standstill with motorways packed with lorries making my life a pain in the backside getting to the coast to visit family but now we are expected to pay for these people? it makes me sick to my back teeth! I was in Florida a few weeks back and returned with my American fiance so that she could visit my family only to be questioned by immigration at the airport like some sort of criminal yet these people its: "come on in!!"

The only thing these people should be seeing when they arrive is a pair of handcuffs and a nice boat back to the hole they come from.

So you brought a foreigner over with you and expected her to be welcomed with open arms but other foreigners you baulk at?

How strange. By the way, 'these people' as you say are not let in, they have come here illegally. We do not have open borders, hence your foreigner fiancee being questioned at immigration, just like illegal immigrants are.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RubyNyx wrote: »
    Though the lack of humanity and compassion regarding these poor people is infuriating.

Yes put those who are ranting in the same position as these immigrants and then see how their attitude changes when it is about themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Yes put those who are ranting in the same position as these immigrants and then see how their attitude changes when it is about themselves.

They'd be screaming the human rights act word for word, with undertoned mumblings about how "foreigners get everything".
  • Options
    heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were similar stories in the tabloids last September about asylum seekers being housed in luxury hotels and hotels with sea views, at tax payer expense. Where the conditions and treatment of the asylum seekers turnout to not be as nice as presented when the Red Cross and left wing papers started revealing the number per room overcrowding, the lack of medical assessments and lack of appropriate food people collapsing, people being rushed to A&E, and them being frequently moved from location to location with minutes notice, and it turned out many of them appeared to be genuine asylum seekers and refugees with harrowing stories. So hopefully the tales of how nice they are being treated in luxury hotels by soft touch Britain will this time be closer to the truth and we will not end up with the Red Cross and others highlighting problems. And hopefully unlike last time we will not have instances of protests outside the hotels featured in the tabloids by people demanding immigrants go home and worse.

Oh, (another) wussy liberal...

re: " harrowing stories" of course they are... so how come then that after such a harrowing time France and other countries just weren't good enough!?

How come that despite such a [altogether now...] harrowing time, they still think they are entitled to look around our world and pick and choose the country in wish they have decided to live!? How come the laws the rest of us have to follow don't apply to them? Why is it that a "harrowing story" means you can just run roughshod over another country's rights...

They are self-serving CRIMINALS and they will take all they can from you whilst laughing at your naivety.
  • Options
    heresittingheresitting Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

My attitude would be to fight for MY country... it wouldn't be to do the cowardly thing and run away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

re: " harrowing stories" of course they are... so how come then that after such a harrowing time France and other countries just weren't good enough!?

How come that despite such a [altogether now...] harrowing time, they still think they are entitled to look around our world and pick and choose the country in wish they have decided to live!? How come the laws the rest of us have to follow don't apply to them? Why is it that a "harrowing story" means you can just run roughshod over another country's rights...

They are self-serving CRIMINALS and they will take all they can from you whilst laughing at your naivety.

Not sure how these so called laws applies to us Brits, Brits have been migrating as immigrants into other non EU countries for decades.

Sorry, perhaps I ought to have said "ex pats emigrating"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My attitude would be to fight for MY country... it wouldn't be to do the cowardly thing and run away.

Darwin award winner right there.

Yes, with a gun pointed at your head or a nice beheading knife coming towards you, you would fight for your country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Britain has "run roughshot" for hundreds of years over other countries, History isn't my strong point, but even I know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psy7ch wrote: »
    Imagine being 'outraged' by a human being given a roof over their head and a very small amount of money to meet basic needs. And if we are such 'a soft touch' how come a very small proportion of migrants try to come to the UK?
    Its debatable if we are a soft touch we probably are as long as they don't end up in one of our detention centres. The reason more claim asylum in Germany and France is I expect is in part because those countries are easier to get to.

In the UK we support asylum seekers as soon as they claim asylum while we are assessing their claim regardless of it that means we have to put them up in hotels. However our detention centres have a poor reputation, with assaults and abuse including sexual abuse by staff, although at least some staff have been dismissed for assaults and sexual assaults so the problem is not being completely ignored, there have also been hunger strikes by detainees over the conditions and treatment.

In France they get put on a waiting list for accommodation and support at resettlement centres which results in over two thirds being left destitute as there are inadequate places.

In Germany they recently had to improve their support of asylum seekers as the support was ruled by the German High Court to be so inadequate it amounted to inhumane treatment. Although the improved support is still meagre with the stated aim of deterring people from going to Germany.
  • Options
    fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its debatable if we are a soft touch we probably are as long as they don't end up in one of our detention centres. The reason more claim asylum in Germany and France is I expect is in part because those countries are easier to get to.

In the UK we support asylum seekers as soon as they claim asylum while we are assessing their claim regardless of it that means we have to put them up in hotels. However our detention centres have a poor reputation, with assaults and abuse including sexual abuse by staff, although at least some staff have been dismissed for assaults and sexual assaults so the problem is not being completely ignored, there have also been hunger strikes by detainees over the conditions and treatment.

In France they get put on a waiting list for accommodation and support at resettlement centres which results in over two thirds being left destitute as there are inadequate places.

In Germany they recently had to improve their support of asylum seekers as the support was ruled by the German High Court to be so inadequate it amounted to inhumane treatment. Although the improved support is still meagre with the stated aim of deterring people from going to Germany.

Then perhaps we should ensure the support they receive in the UK is no greater than that offered in France, Germany or the other EU countries. If the French don't feel obliged to put them up in hotels, nor should we.

Why would you risk the crossing if there is no perceived improvement to your quality of life in the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fermyn wrote: »
    Then perhaps we should ensure the support they receive in the UK is no greater than that offered in France, Germany or the other EU countries. If the French don't feel obliged to put them up in hotels, nor should we.

NO thank you!!! You want massive tent cities in this country, you can have it next to you. I want people accommodated properly, safely, able to be monitored as they are in detention or other accommodation, I dont want people who might have health care issues that could cause problems in the UK not having health care or sanitation.

You might want to degrade the country by acting like France, I do not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because in France generally they get put on a waiting list to to to a resettlement centre and in the mean time are left destitute indefinitely. Seeking asylum in France can equal destitution with no legal ability to support yourself they are not permitted to work. Would you want to try and survive indefinitely in destitution in a shanty town. France only recently started providing such things as running water to the refugee makeshift camps.
    How come the laws the rest of us have to follow don't apply to them? Why is it that a "harrowing story" means you can just run roughshod over another country's rights.

The UK as a founding member of the UN helped to write and then signed the international conventions on asylum and refugees and incorporated those conventions into UK law. An asylum seeker has broken no UK law if once in the UK they make themselves known to UK authorities and claim asylum, they are not illegal immigrants, refugees have a legal right to claim asylum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fermyn wrote: »

Why would you risk the crossing if there is no perceived improvement to your quality of life in the UK?
    Perhaps instead of leaving refugees destitute as France does or with so inadequate as to be inhumane support as Germany until recently did, maybe we should endeavour to act like decent human beings and treat refugees humanely providing them with shelter, food and medical aid. Because I would rather we behaved like decent human beings. Even if some of us who seemingly are more callous cannot understand the reason why we should and view doing so as being a soft touch.
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Darwin award winner right there.

Yes, with a gun pointed at your head or a nice beheading knife coming towards you, you would fight for your country.

A lot of these people are coming from Eritrea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyNyx wrote: »
    Britain has "run roughshot" for hundreds of years over other countries, History isn't my strong point, but even I know that.

A lot of these people are coming from places like Eritrea and Sudan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because in France generally they get put on a waiting list to to to a resettlement centre and in the mean time are left destitute indefinitely. Seeking asylum in France can equal destitution with no legal ability to support yourself they are not permitted to work. Would you want to try and survive indefinitely in destitution in a shanty town. France only recently started providing such things as running water to the refugee makeshift camps.

The UK as a founding member of the UN helped to write and then signed the international conventions on asylum and refugees and incorporated those conventions into UK law. An asylum seeker has broken no UK law if once in the UK they make themselves known to UK authorities and claim asylum, they are not illegal immigrants, refugees have a legal right to claim asylum.

I can't imagine that we ever expected to end up with getting so many though.

How can we afford this? We have already seen lots of austerity cuts in the UK. Look at how certain sections of our community are struggling these days, such as the disabled? We also have people living in sheds, and dozens sharing three-bedroomed houses.

We really can't afford to take in half the world, because we are the first choice of where to live in Europe.

On top of this, according to law, they should be stopping in the first country in Europe. That's not the UK. They should be refused on these grounds alone.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Certainly doesnt seem to be any mention of asylum seeking swarms on Tripadvisor for that hotel, but then maybe they're keeping themselves to themselves.

Perhaps we should support other countries to prevent people having to leave their countries or trek all the way to the UK in the first place.

We and others do just that.