Options

Why I hate the Foxsat — anything better out there?

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    move your eyes from the bottom of the screen to the top each time you want to see the channel name.
    I never want to know the channel name anyway. Well sometimes I happen to know the channel if I'm setting up a recording for something I've just seen advertised but I time shift everything and consequently channel names are of little or no interest to me :)
    I don't want automatic updates.
    Why not? I think you're in danger of making a rod for your own back there.
    The programmable remote (but see above). Having been used to the Sky remote I'd resigned myself to having to have three remotes handy (TV, 9300, Foxsat). With the Foxsat remote I can leave the TV remote in the drawer.
    Sorted. There are cheaper versions but really that remote will control everything and despite mine controlling six things (including my PS3 for media use) I've never had to assign a task to a silly button because there was nothing appropriate. It also fits in the hand really well.

I was very reluctant to buy another Humax after my 9200T. In fact I said here I never would buy Humax again. But my experience has been very favourable and I'd happily recommend the HDR to anyone.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan White wrote: »
    What three things would I like Humax to implement to improve my user experience?
    1. Remote control volume "punch-through"
    2. A proper favourites system
    3. The ability to disable auto update.
    1. I. think 1 would be a problem with 5.1 audio as it is encoded and simply passed to the connected device.
    2. A lot of perople would like to see this - hopefully freesat will relax their restrictions on this and other things (Bet they will never allow channel reordering).
  • Options
    Alan WhiteAlan White Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Why not?
    Because I don't like software being updated behind my back. I've been bitten too many times by faulty software updates (Windows, Sky etc), and spent much too long fixing the problems, to want to automatically update especially without a regression path.
    There are cheaper versions but really that remote will control everything
    £115!!! That's nearly as much as I paid for the box itself! Many years ago I bought a universal remote and spent much too long configuring it with my then equipment. Then I got some different equipment and, despite One4All's claim that the remote could be updated, had to buy another universal remote and so spent the time all over again. I don't wish to repeat the cost and experience just to get a volume control that works logically.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you can delete channels but they return the next day.

Unresponsive controls

Conflicts are allowed to happen

No recording of buffer

Hard to delete

Bad interface

No search function

Badly designed remote
    Remote has limited range

Can’t pause on any frame

Alan install the custom firmware amongst loads of other goodies it has web based remote control . If you have a laptop, smartphone or tablet the on screen remote addresses pretty well all of your remote problems. It works via your network you don't even have to be in the same room.
    You can add channel icon favourites which will take you instantly to the channel (of in the epg the same icons take you directly to the epg data for that channel and you can create button macros for instance schedule/red which displays the cached epg instantly (solving your response problems afrer pressing guide). The channel search facility is much easier to get on with when you have a proper keyboard.

Taking your other points,

Freesat don't allow the re-ordering of the channel list so all Freesat kit will have the same restrictions.

The so called channel delete in fact just hides the channels. They should not become visible again unless you do a manual freesat retune. The custom firmware in fact lets you unhide channels you don't normally see because of postcode. eg Fancy both ITV1-HD variants in your epg - no problem

Conflict problems - these are almost always down to the way the broadcaster specifies the crid codes. Eg the bbc have a habit of providing a series crid and no programme crid. As a result the box thinks each regional variant of the same programme is anew eposode so tries to schedule all of them.

Non recording of the buffer. the timeshift buffer file (0.ts) is not encrypted when viewing HD channels. As a result buffer record would defeat the encryption imposed by the broadcaster. The custom firmware lets you stream or copy this file over your network. As a result you can view HD remotely a little behind real time. The new box has buffer recording.

Hard to delete - see custom firmware

Bad interface - Custom firmware has multiple user generated epg templates. You can set up your own view of the epg just like Sky Favourites. The new box has the capability to switch the epg to just your favourites.

Badly designed remote
    Remote has limited range
    Custom Firmware

No frame advance

VCRs/Analogue TV have every single frame full frame available, digital tv does not it uses a lossy mpeg compression system where 1 full frame (I frame) is followed by partial frames with only differences transmitted for a group of following frames (Known as a GOP - Group Of Pictures). The mpeg decoder recreates the frames on the fly. As a result it's much harder to produce a single frame advance capability which is why frame advance skips I frame to I frame.

Autoupdate is mandated by the Freesat spec, why you wopuld want to turn it off is rather puzzling. What's the point in complaining about problems that may well have already been fixed. Without auto-update no Foxsat-hdr owners would have been able to record any of the 24 Olympic HD streams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One of the comments in this thread is about the difficulty in deleting recorded programmes. The suggestion, which I slavishly copied from memory, is that it takes five keypresses to delete. This isn't true: it's seven.
    Highlight the programme you want and press the yellow button.
    Personally I delete after viewing and that's easy. Bring up the guide, the current recording will be highlighted. Yellow. Ok. Done.
    Bspks wrote: »
    finish watching programme, press OK select Delete, Press OK press EXIT.

None of these suggestions works for me. Here's my workflow:
    - recorded programme is playing, nearing its end
    - press Stop, returns to Media
    - check that the just-watched programme is highlighted (sometimes the box goes to a different, random programme)
    - press OK
    - press Down twice to highlight Delete a file
    - press OK
    - press Left
    - press OK
    - programme is deleted
    Total: 7 keypresses

If there's a quicker way I'd love to hear about it.

Compare this with Sky+ (from memory as the box isn't connected):
    - press Back, returns to Planner
    - press Yellow
    - programme is deleted (if not marked as Keep)
    Total: 2 keypresses (or 3 if marked Keep)
  • Options
    galleonslapgalleonslap Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    - press Yellow
    - programme is deleted (if not marked as Keep)
    Total: 2 keypresses (or 3 if marked Keep)

I agree the Sky+HD box makes it really easy to delete programmes. When we had Sky, a delete as above on several occasions also deleted the programme below the one intended, i.e. two deleted at once! When I became aware of this I took to making sure I pressed the yellow button as a very short sharp action, but it still occasionally happened. I'd rather have a confirmation dialogue than lose something I didn't want to erase. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree the Sky+HD box makes it really easy to delete programmes. When we had Sky, a delete as above on several occasions also deleted the programme below the one intended, i.e. two deleted at once! When I became aware of this I took to making sure I pressed the yellow button as a very short sharp action, but it still occasionally happened. I'd rather have a confirmation dialogue than lose something I didn't want to erase. :mad:

Newer Sky-HD boxes are about to get an undelete option :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the comments in this thread is about the difficulty in deleting recorded programmes. The suggestion, which I slavishly copied from memory, is that it takes five keypresses to delete. This isn't true: it's seven.

- check that the just-watched programme is highlighted (sometimes the box goes to a different, random programme)
    - press OK
    - press OK
    - press Left
    - press OK
    - programme is deleted

Correct, the exact key sequence stored in my webif remote macro button. Except it's 6 unless a started recording has displaced the selected item, then it's 7 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

None of these suggestions works for me. Here's my workflow:
    - press Stop, returns to Media
    - press OK
    - press OK
    - press Left
    - press OK
    - programme is deleted

If there's a quicker way I'd love to hear about it.
    I think you will find if you start by pressing Media (while skill paying) the current programme is always the one highlighted.

I hear by nominate the "make playlist" function as so obscure I bet that only a handful of you know it is there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alan install the custom firmware
    I have the custom firmware. While it offers some useful additions it mostly works around defects in the basic software and therefore is proof that Humax's interface, which is what is under discussion, is inadequate.
    web based remote control
    This is only useful if the PC is in the same room as the Foxsat: mine isn't. Nor would I want them to be: the PC is in the study, the Foxsat and TV in the lounge.
    Freesat don't allow the re-ordering of the channel list
    That's as maybe: it's nothing to do with Freesat how I choose to use my equipment. Would you think it acceptable for Bosch to mandate the program you use to wash your clothes?
    Conflict problems
    I didn't make myself clear. I'm aware that many such problems are down to the broadcaster (though my experience is that this is much less of a problem on all platforms than it used to be). My point is that when it thinks there's a conflict the Foxsat does not tell me which programmes are in conflict. I therefore have no information about how to resolve the conflict.
    Non recording of the buffer
    Once again you're suggesting using the custom firmware to work around a defect in Humax's software. I'm not interested in HD nor, except in unusual circumstances, watching TV on my PC. Anyway, the solution is simple: just record the buffer encrypted. That's what Sky does. Yes, it will prevent the workround you're currently taking advantage of but it will enable all Foxsat users to record the buffer.
    Hard to delete - see custom firmware
    Did I mention that you often suggest using the custom firmware to work around a defect in Humax's software :) ? The process here should be simple: watch a program, delete it. Instead of providing a dedicated key to delete the just-watched programme Humax clutter up the UI with infrequently-used functions such as Change Device whilst hiding common functions behind a menu.
    Custom firmware has multiple user generated epg templates
    And very useful it is too. But it's not on the Foxsat.
    No frame advance
    Thanks for the explanation. However, as the box can reconstruct the base image and then the changes whilst in play mode it must be possible to do the same in slow motion and therefore in frame advance. It's no different from what the box does normally: I just want it to do it one step at a time on command. A bit like stepping through code in debug.
    Autoupdate is mandated by the Freesat spec
    Once again, it's none of Freesat's business what version of the software I choose to run. It isn't even any concern of Humax, with the proviso that in the event of a problem they would, not unreasonably, require that I run the latest software before reporting the problem. However, I think you equate not wanting automatic updates with not wanting updates. I want to do updates in a controlled way, at a time which suits me, and with a regression plan. I've spent a long time fixing problems caused by automatic updates and disable them whenever I can.
    What's the point in complaining about problems that may well have already been fixed.
    None at all. Have any of the problems listed in this thread been fixed?
    Without auto-update no Foxsat-hdr owners would have been able to record any of the 24 Olympic HD streams.
    The best feature I would have liked during the last two months was something to automatically replace all Olympics programmes with something more useful. Thank heaven it's all over :D.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate Humax but found the HD picture so soft I had to return the box.

Normally they make good PVRs, I had 2 versions of Humax Freeview PVR that were rock solid and very reliable but Foxsat HD picture quality let me down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    I think you will find if you start by pressing Media (while skill paying) the current programme is always the one highlighted.
    Thanks. Yes, that looks good because then there's a green arrow to show the programme is still playing.
    I hear by nominate the "make playlist" function as so obscure I bet that only a handful of you know it is there.
    One of the benefits of being a new user is that the manual is still fresh in the mind. I saw that feature, thought "what's the point of that?", and ignored it.

It does remind me of another annoyance, though. The media list has all the programmes upside down. To watch the first program in a series you have to scroll to the bottom of the list :confused:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Alan White;61046831This is only useful if the PC is in the same room as the Foxsat: mine isn't. Nor would I want them to be: the PC is in the study, the Foxsat and TV in the lounge.
    [/QUOTE]

I give up, I can use the remote on my laptop, a tiny netbook. my wifes smartphone and even in a rudimentary fashion on a WIfi Kindle e-reader. Time to join the 21st century.

The main reason for the custom firmware is to allow streaming of recorded content to PC's and other DNLA devices. There would be little point if they were in the same room. Your wife could be watching the Foxsat in the lounge while you watch something entirely different. Like I said I give up there is no way I am wasting my time anymore. For someone who says you have the custom firmware it's clear you haven't a clue how to use it. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £115!!! That's nearly as much as I paid for the box itself! Many years ago I bought a universal remote and spent much too long configuring it with my then equipment.
    Not really a problem with the Harmon One. Most of the time you just select the manufacturer/model from a list and that's that. There's a little of extra work because its activity based rather than item based but it's all done through drop down lists. My biggest complaint about it is that it's a little too noddy.

The activity based system is great. Basically an example I use would be the activity 'Sky HD'.

The devices used by that activity are TV, Sky HD and Onkyo Amp. The configuration utility will usually work out which is which. If I remember correctly it asked me to confirm that the volume control should affect the amp not the TV and asked what input the Onkyo/TV should be set to. After that if you select that activity the remote switches things off/on and changes their input appropriately. It's as if my A/V stack is one device controlled by one remote :)
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel better now Allen White :), It seems to me, even when someone try's to help you and tell you a way to make your box work even better you are not interested and you seem happy to blame HUMAX for thing's like the EPG that they have no control of.

I could say that I am disapointed that my Tv and PVR does not come on when I sit down to watch it. :D saying that the TV does come on when I press the button on my pvr to come on. I agree we could all find things we would like our TV's and PVR'S to do put you have to be realistic sorry if that sound's negative
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    press OK
    - press OK
    - press Left
    - press OK
    Thinking about it you are right. I might be confusing deleting a timer entry and the delete function on Sky.
    - press Yellow
    On Sky HD the wrong programme can be highlighted at this point. In fact with their new EPG it's very common. Actually a point in your favour re updates ( :) ) but it seems that if anything new has been recorded since playback started the wrong thing will be highlighted. I've now lost three programmes that way and have had to resort to using the keep function to force a 'Are you sure?' type prompt which annoys me because normally I hate that kind of thing.
    It does remind me of another annoyance, though. The media list has all the programmes upside down. To watch the first program in a series you have to scroll to the bottom of the list :confused:.
    Good point :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Andrue;61047375. I've now lost three programmes that way and have had to resort to using the keep function to force a 'Are you sure?' type prompt which annoys me because normally I hate that kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

Sky will shortly have a undelete feature on it's newer HD boxes.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/sky-update-allows-undeleting-recorded-shows/
  • Options
    Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does remind me of another annoyance, though. The media list has all the programmes upside down. To watch the first program in a series you have to scroll to the bottom of the list .
    Mine doesn't, you need to look at the sort options.
    Press the LIST button to sort the files in file name,
    time, channel number order
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but I'd rather they fixed the actual problem as well. Far better not to accidentally delete it in the first place. I'm also wondering how I will find what I just accidentally deleted. Unless it lists by chronological order of deletion it could be a nightmare. We time-shift everything and watch things as the fancy takes us. Last night I watched something that had been lying around for nearly two months.

Trying to find the one programme I accidentally deleted amongst the hundreds (many hundreds) that were deliberately deleted could be tricky - I'm unlikely to know the name for instance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but I'd rather they fixed the actual problem as well. Far better not to accidentally delete it in the first place. I'm also wondering how I will find what I just accidentally deleted. Unless it lists by chronological order of deletion it could be a nightmare. We time-shift everything and watch things as the fancy takes us. Last night I watched something that had been lying around for nearly two months.

Trying to find the one programme I accidentally deleted amongst the hundreds (many hundreds) that were deliberately deleted could be tricky - I'm unlikely to know the name for instance.

It moves the content links to a buffer area which when full presumably chucks out the oldest. You won't get thousands only recently deleted content otherwise your space for normal recordings will just shrink. This presumably lists content just like they are listed in your media list including the programme synopses. Just like the deleted files folder in your e-mail client or the garbage bin in windows.

Deleting files on a PC doesn't delete the data, just removes the few bytes that locate which sectors of the hdd contain the content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine doesn't, you need to look at the sort options.
    I have. If you do the same you'll see that there's no option to set the sort ascending or descending. For the alpha and channel sorts it's only ascending, not unreasonably; for the time sort it's only descending which, unless you want to watch the series in reverse, is daft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I give up,
    I don't understand why you always feel the need to be so hostile. Unless you wrote the Humax software then my criticism isn't aimed at you. Even if you did write the software my criticism still wouldn't be directed at you but rather at Humax the company.

Let's also remember that I didn't start this thread: it was started by another user who also finds Humax's UI weird and, in some respects, unnecessarily difficult to use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have. If you do the same you'll see that there's no option to set the sort ascending or descending. For the alpha and channel sorts it's only ascending, not unreasonably; for the time sort it's only descending which, unless you want to watch the series in reverse, is daft.

Hello again Alan,
    Ok what you want is to sort by name - after you change to it - exit the series and return - now it should be OK. I think this works because the name on disk have the time embedded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    peter05 wrote: »
    Allen
    Alan
    peter05 wrote: »
    It seems to me, even when someone try's to help you and tell you a way to make your box work even better
    I haven't seen any such suggestions. The greatest suggestion has been to use the custom firmware, which is an agreement that Humax's own software is inadequate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello again Alan,
    Ok what you want is to sort by name - after you change to it - exit the series and return - now it should be OK. I think this works because the name on disk have the time embedded.
    Thanks. I'll give that a try when my wife finishes with the box. It's a bit counter-intuitive, though: sorting by name to get it to sort by time :).