Options

Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, there's no way he'd be an American hero, congressman and he would'nt have even been considered for VP if he was a Muslim, regardless of the fact it's set in the reasonably Northern Virginia.

For some reason, Americans don't like people from religions other than Christianity. The Americans are somewhat untrusting of Mitt Romney, because he's a Mormon, imagine how much worse it would be if he was a Muslim (especially in the South), given the unjustifiable misconceptions surrounding Muslims.

Why is it that we Americans are ALWAYS lumped in together when it comes to the religious wing nuts or anything else for that matter? Btw, we do have a gentleman of Muslim faith in Congress. Unfortunately, there is no longer a GOP party of the past. There is now a new set of extremists who are being recognized as the new GOP. These people are intolerant to say the least. The Chairman of Homeland Security has a particular vendetta against anyone of Muslim faith. He feeds the intolerance to mostly those white a-holes out there. He needs to lose his job.

There are still racists in my country just like there is in yours and the rest of the world. As an American I can tell you there are many more of us who are not. It's a BIG country and we are the ones who truly represent what this country is all about. Sadly, the racist idiots are the ones that get the most media attention.

Btw, I don't care for Mitt Romney not because of his Mormon religion, but because of his policies. Plus this man is intolerant. Those who are voting for him is for one reason only because they want to get rid of the black muslim. I kid you not. Just listen to the moron Donald Trump and even the washed up Chuck Norris and Jon Voight to name a few.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    the little smile from carrie at the end was a great touch and a very big hint towards how dangerous this is to her mental health and the unstable nature of being bi-polar

it said to me she had got a huge buzz from doing what she did and taking the risks she took which is probably not a good long term proposition for a "spy"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviller wrote: »
    Yeah, there definitely is a lot of anti-Muslim racism out there, just look at the claims that Obama is a Muslim (the answer to that should be: so what if he was).

At the end of last season I thought the whole "let's not kill them but kill their ideas instead" notion was kind of dumb considering that Brody was going to be a lowly Congressman from Virginia. The writers have worked around that by turning him into the VP, one heartbeat/bullet away from the presidency. It is somewhat hard to believe though that this guy would become a VP even in a world where Sarah Palin has been chosen as a running mate. He just seems way too inexperienced.

Brody is not a VP...yet. He still has to go through some vetting. It appears that VP Walden (?) wants to use Brody's status as a POW to get him the presidency.

I gather that Brody's congressional position was a result of a special election to replace a scandal-ridden politician (if you recall) from last season. I don't consider Congressmen lowly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    Yes - it's a long time since she's smiled! I never realised before what dark eyes Claire Danes has. Brilliant for looking manic when Carrie's worked up about something.
    Excellent first episode! I like the introduction of a new location and already Brody's in danger of being 'discovered'.

Claire Danes has blue eyes. She was wearing a brown wig and brown eye contacts for the scenes where she was working undercover for the CIA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    the little smile from carrie at the end was a great touch and a very big hint towards how dangerous this is to her mental health and the unstable nature of being bi-polar

it said to me she had got a huge buzz from doing what she did and taking the risks she took which is probably not a good long term proposition for a "spy"

I totally agree. :D
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Brody is not a VP...yet. He still has to go through some vetting.

... and get elected!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Why is it that we Americans are ALWAYS lumped in together when it comes to the religious wing nuts or anything else for that matter? Btw, we do have a gentleman of Muslim faith in Congress. Unfortunately, there is no longer a GOP party of the past. There is now a new set of extremists who are being recognized as the new GOP. These people are intolerant to say the least. The Chairman of Homeland Security has a particular vendetta against anyone of Muslim faith. He feeds the intolerance to mostly those white a-holes out there. He needs to lose his job.

There are still racists in my country just like there is in yours and the rest of the world. As an American I can tell you there are many more of us who are not. It's a BIG country and we are the ones who truly represent what this country is all about. Sadly, the racist idiots are the ones that get the most media attention.

Btw, I don't care for Mitt Romney not because of his Mormon religion, but because of his policies. Plus this man is intolerant. Those who are voting for him is for one reason only because they want to get rid of the black muslim. I kid you not. Just listen to the moron Donald Trump and even the washed up Chuck Norris and Jon Voight to name a few.
    Whilst it was presented as covering the entire country and it's population, it was not intended as such and I apologize for that.

The general impression I get is that many Americans are somewhat fearful of (and occasionally hateful towards) other religions. And that kind of intolerance does tend to be more prevalent in media coverage of America, perhaps due to the prominence of right wing media and beliefs. Or maybe it's due to the inordinately large amount of patriotism America has. Who knows?

Anyway, apologies for being stereotypical and moderately racist :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Casmana wrote: »
    Agree with every point made here !:)
    I like the connection Brody has with his daughter despite she's a nosey parker !Ingenius to actually bury the book.
    Is there a dog in the house?;) I forgot .Somehow think it 's going to resurface .
    Still detest the wife btw !

It was implied that because the book was damaged ("defiled" as Brody called it), it was buried as a sign of respect. It might be a Muslim tradition, but I don't know enough about the religion to comment. (If anybody does and is able to elaborate further it would be appreciated)

I'd inferred that he would attempt to pick up a new copy and find a better hiding place...
  • Options
    Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well in the Jewish religion we bury holy books that are no longer useable - I suspect the same is true for Islam.
  • Options
    CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was implied that because the book was damaged ("defiled" as Brody called it), it was buried as a sign of respect. It might be a Muslim tradition, but I don't know enough about the religion to comment. (If anybody does and is able to elaborate further it would be appreciated)

I'd inferred that he would attempt to pick up a new copy and find a better hiding place...
    From Wiki
    Disposal of worn-out copies is also of concern to Muslims. Because the Quran contains no exact references of how to dispose of a worn or defective text, different and conflicting methods of disposal have been adopted in different regions by different sects.
    According to Islamic historian Michael Cook the Quran should be wrapped in cloth and buried on holy ground where it is unlikely to be trampled on or placed in a "safe-place" where it is unlikely to come into contact with impurity] According to Arab News, Muslims are forbidden to recycle, pulp, or shred worn-out copies of the text; instead, burning or burying the worn-out copies in a respectful manner is required.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »

Well the episode was called 'The Smile'! :D

I agree. She was damaged when the season began and she's even more damaged now.

If anyone missed it, Ep1 is repeated again tonight at 9pm on 4Seven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I watched season 1 on More 4 from the very first episode to the season finale: Marine One and I have to say I was pretty impressed. I enjoyed the ending and I wasn't disappointed but that's probably because I've been watching the trailer for season 2 all week and it was kind of obvious that Damien Lewis would survive but that didn't stop it from being interesting.

I also watched season 2, episode 1 today and David has some nerve talking to Carrie like that but I loved her smile at the end. I just hope this doesn't have an adverse effect on her mental health and her recovery.
  • Options
    thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Episode 1 "The Smile" is also on itunes, blinkbox and 4od if anyone wants a refresh http://www.thetvking.com/tvshows/30962/homeland/series/2/episode/1/

I found the episode a little flat, but I also felt that about season 1. Probably due to all the hype it gets. It did set-up the season nicely creating many potential new threads. I would like to see Brody as the VP and be open about his faith. At which point a presentation/talk with the school children would be interesting.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

AFAIK, if a Koran is defiled, a Muslim has to be either bury
    it wrapped in cloth or else cast into a stream.

EDIT: Found this info online:
    Just as we bury a human body following death, Muslims often bury a Koran when it has exhausted its life.

http://actsofdevotion.blogspot.ie/2006/02/chapter-ninety-eight-in-which-harrowing.html
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the success of the show it struck me that the hot issue of Israel and Iran was a conditioning to the real possibility of strikes sooner than could be expected. However would expect serious turmoil in region to be portrayed rather than protest by a number. Ok the seeking of information from Brody is an indication of intended retaliation, but would think all hell would break out.

Questionable storyline to return characters to roles that encompassed the success of series one, particularly so soon in just first episode and just think rapid eye movement by Carrie really would cause difficulty under cover in pressured situations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the information about respectful disposal (not sure 'disposal' is the right word) of the Koran,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    She is a new character. She was asking Estes to confirm the number of nuclear facilities that had been targeted in the attacks - she said that "the government" had given her a number and she just wanted him to confirm it. But it was just to get him out of his office to give Brody a chance to break into the safe.

I still think Estes could be the mole. How many people apart from him would have the code to his safe? Maybe he knew all about what was going on with Brody and the safe and everything? If Saul stays out of the country for a while maybe it will become clear whether he could be the mole or not (I'm thinking if info is leaked that he wouldn't have access to over there, it could rule him out? at least as the only mole)

If Estes were the mole, why would they need Brody to get into the safe and find the codes. They could just get Estes to give the codes to them :confused:
  • Options
    PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    If Estes were the mole, why would they need Brody to get into the safe and find the codes. They could just get Estes to give the codes to them :confused:

To test Brody's loyalty, perhaps.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moshe wrote: »
    I thought it was dumb. Claire is very good, but the plot is poor, often ludicrous.
    That GI guy is a terrorist, this has been clearly established. And his daughter is a nightmare!

His daughter may be a "nightmare" but she's one of the most believable characters. She is an whinney annoying brat - but that's because she's a teenager . Much better than the perfect teens who live in many TV shows.

As far the plot, it has to be a little far-fetched to make it entertaining.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    In the first series it was possible to like Brody occasionally because for a long time we still weren't sure whether he had indeed been turned.
    Now that we know for sure, he is a far less sympathetic character.
    I found it very unbelievable that Brody would steal something from Estes office safe. Surely the head of the CIA has CCTV in his office? In the first series they were all suspicious of one another and even had to take Polygraph tests, so surely his office would be bugged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst it was presented as covering the entire country and it's population, it was not intended as such and I apologize for that.

The general impression I get is that many Americans are somewhat fearful of (and occasionally hateful towards) other religions. And that kind of intolerance does tend to be more prevalent in media coverage of America, perhaps due to the prominence of right wing media and beliefs. Or maybe it's due to the inordinately large amount of patriotism America has. Who knows?

Anyway, apologies for being stereotypical and moderately racist :o

Yeah, I won't deny that we are very patriotic. However, there is patriotic and then there is patriotic. It's the latter that's the problem. :p

No apologies needed and you don't strike me as a racist not even moderately. ;) I just wish people (regardless of where they are from) would just reduce the size of the brush if you know what I mean. :)

Until next time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    His daughter may be a "nightmare" but she's one of the most believable characters. She is an whinney annoying brat - but that's because she's a teenager . Much better than the perfect teens who live in many TV shows.

As far the plot, it has to be a little far-fetched to make it entertaining.

I think Dana would be a more believable character if she was supposed to be 13 or 14, she seems very young for a 16 year old, not just looks but the way she acts.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the first series it was possible to like Brody occasionally because for a long time we still weren't sure whether he had indeed been turned.
    Now that we know for sure, he is a far less sympathetic character.

Is it really essential to have a likable or sympathetic lead character? One of the attractions of Homeland is that you never know who are the "goodies" and the "baddies" and what their motivations are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plundermot wrote: »
    To test Brody's loyalty, perhaps.

because Brody is "disposable" and Estes is there for keeping ?:confused:
    ie Brody does the dirty work and get the blame if found out
    and as well as the above, sure
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member