Options

Dancing On Ice - Olympic Heroes Special

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. I was delighted that she appeared on this show, as I remember watching her on TV in 1972 when she amazed everyone with her performance - and charmed them too.

1972 Olympics: Olga Korbut (URS) AA Floor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJXXGyVly_g

Olga Korbut 1972 Olympics EF BB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2gNQcbicsA

Olga Korbut Uneven Bars with Korbut Flip slow motion replay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYPcdj_wn4
  • Options
    guenevereguenevere Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olga wuz robbed! She was great. There were many shouts for her. What weight was given to the audience vote?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have liked to see Katarina perform also. She has an awesome CV - two Olympic gold medals and dozens of appearances in film and television either as an actress or as herself. And a nude apearance in Playboy! Her Wikipedia article gives full details. I always think she has a similar accent to Arnold Schwarzenegger but she certainly doesn't look like him.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Steve deserved to win.

Robin was rusty, and moved on one of his spins. No jumps from him, not even a half axel.

Olga has no false modesty. Was that refreshing, or conceited ? She did well, but should have been allowed to skate a bit more.

As I said in an earlier post, Robin has had severe knee problems, and can't physically do the jumps (eg Russian split and back flip) he was famous for anymore.

Given that he hasn't done any serious skating for 12 years, he did amazingly well, that routine was instantly recognisable as a Cousins one, elegant, graceful and with a movement for almost every beat of the music!
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I thought Robin was awesome. Ok, he didn't do any jumps but those spins were amazing.
    Loved the show and thought it was nice to also see some new pro's.
    The only minus point of the whole show, that awful, awfu, awful Louie. Hope he does not get a contract for next year,. would hate him showing his tonsils through next year.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guenevere wrote: »
    Olga wuz robbed! She was great. There were many shouts for her. What weight was given to the audience vote?
    I found her irritating beyond belief and was delighted that she didn't win.

Her supporters might have been shouting loudly but clearly she didn't lead the audience vote - had she done so she would have won. The judges and spectators votes both count for 50% of the final result - in the event of a tie tthe audience vote is the decider.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might have been a bit of a cultural misunderstanding between Olga and the others. She appeared very self-centred, but may just have been lingering self-confidence from her competing days.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    It really isn't exciting is it!

No matter how much they drum it up. :D

I have to agree the show was fairly dull. The judges were giving very high scores compared to "normal" Dancing on Ice. OK, some of the performances would have been impressive in weeks 1 or 2 of the normal show, but I got the impression they had been practicing for much longer than usual, and I can't remember anyone getting 9.5 and 10s for a performance with clear mistakes in it!

The results were pretty much how I judged the performances, so I have no problem with that side of things.

Not sure what they could have done to make it more exciting. Most of the performers didn't have the skills to do anything very impressive and there was no time to build a relationship with any of the competitors.

I'm guessing we will get a lot of Olympic themed shows on ITV (without actually using the "O" word in the title!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was given a big build-up by the producers of the show, and treated like the star, which is probably why she was put on last. She is literally a living legend.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JohnCurry wrote: »
    She was given a big build-up by the producers of the show, and treated like the star, which is probably why she was put on last. She is literally a living legend.

She did great for her age, and she was clearly in the top two (IMO), but she had a huge advantage in that her sport requires perfect lines and a great performance (big smile, be in time to the music, etc).

It isn't really as big a leap as someone that got a medal for sailing or badminton! No one looses points in those sports because their arms didn't look graceful enough!
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I loved the show - it was a lovely ice fix for the summer! :D Robin's solo performance was definitely the highlight for me but the show as a whole was really enjoyable and a rare breath of fresh air in the weekend TV schedules.

Can't say I agreed with the result, but it was good to see Katie holding the trophy! :D
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the show, and Robin was most definitely the highlight for me.

I think the right person won, but the marking was ridiculously high!

But I guess they can't give Olympians really low marks, it might have been a bit insulting for them!
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »

But I guess they can't give Olympians really low marks, it might have been a bit insulting for them!

They did Sharon Davies a couple of years back ;)

I've taped the show but haven't had time to watch yet, so in for a treat :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    They did Sharon Davies a couple of years back ;)

I've taped the show but haven't had time to watch yet, so in for a treat :D

I wish I had taped it. Though I have Robin & Olga's performance on youtube
  • Options
    Real FanReal Fan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I had taped it. Though I have Robin & Olga's performance on youtube

It's repeated this Saturday 28th on ITV1 at 1.10 pm
  • Options
    westlifefan123westlifefan123 Posts: 4,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real Fan wrote: »
    It's repeated this Saturday 28th on ITV1 at 1.10 pm

I would love it please if someone would put up Steve's performance from the show if possible because I absolutely loved it and so pleased he won too, and I would love to see it again. Steve Williams is gorgeous.

From Hayley
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched the show - it does seem weird seeing it in July ;)

The only thing that spoiled it was the scoring - when does anyone score 9.0, 9.5 or 10.0 on a first skate ;)

There was no build up to the end that we usually have either, so the trophy being presented seemed a bit flat :confused:

It was nice to see Chico in the audience :D

And Robin was the highlight :)