Options

The Shrien Dewani Trial

Comments

• Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linmic wrote: »
    Who was the Dr? Surely Anni's doctor would know if she was still on the pill. Also, as they had just got married would they be trying for a baby so soon? Especially if Anni was as unhappy as suggested.

Perhaps it was discussed but Anni's cousin says that Anni was on retinoids for acne. You're not supposed to get pregnant on them and shouldn't even think of trying to get pregnant for at least a month after you stop taking them.

Anni wolud have known this as it's made extremely explicit on the packaging and on the prescribing doctor's advice.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Perhaps it was discussed but Anni's cousin says that Anni was on retinoids for acne. You're not supposed to get pregnant on them and shouldn't even think of trying to get pregnant for at least a month after you stop taking them.

Anni wolud have known this as it's made extremely explicit on the packaging and on the prescribing doctor's advice.

Exactly. The doctor would have made sure she understood that. There was probably some conversation to the effect that she would like to have children in due course.

Sounds like the defence have dropped a clanger with that one. They didn't know about the acne drug, or at least didn't fully understand its nature.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. The doctor would have made sure she understood that. There was probably some conversation to the effect that she would like to have children in due course.

Sounds like the defence have dropped a clanger with that one. They didn't know about the acne drug, or at least didn't fully understand its nature.

Glad that's been explained here. It made no sense reading the tweets.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Glad that's been explained here. It made no sense reading the tweets.

From what I gathered, the defence had got hold of Anni's medical notes and were using them to try and discredit Sneha's claim that Anni confided in her about everything.

They inferred (wrongly) from the notes that Anni was "trying for a baby" and challenged Sneha because she had denied this.

Sneha however explained about the acne drug, and pulled the rug out from under them.
  • Options
    Geelong CatGeelong Cat Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I gathered, the defence had got hold of Anni's medical notes and were using them to try and discredit Sneha's claim that Anni confided in her about everything.

They inferred (wrongly) from the notes that Anni was "trying for a baby" and challenged Sneha because she had denied this.

Sneha however explained about the acne drug, and pulled the rug out from under them.
    It wasn't so much that the defence wrongly inferred she was trying for a baby, as that Anni's medical notes did in fact state she was trying for a baby. From the Mirror's blog:
    Van Zyl hands in doctor's records. The records detail menstrual cycles, the fact that she was not on contraceptives and note saying Anni was trying for a baby.

“Just got married. Trying to get pregnant” Anni #Dewani's doctor wrote in her medical notes. Is she surprised, Van Zyl asks her cousin
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is the witness this morning ?
  • Options
    DallyDally Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Is this trial continuing today?
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't so much that the defence wrongly inferred she was trying for a baby, as that Anni's medical notes did in fact state she was trying for a baby. From the Mirror's blog:

I wouldnt be putting too much importance on those. I have information on my medical records which is incorrect because the GP has put the wrong thing down.

A few weeks ago, during a discussion with the GP, I told him that I didnt want to take X medication (which I need) because it makes me very tired in the mornings and affects my energy levels.

During a referral for something, which he believed was connected to that, he wrote on the referral that I suffer with extreme fatigue in the mornings. Despite correcting him, that remains on that referral.

That is quite an insignificant thing, but it shows that they write what they think they've heard. With all the other evidence it seems inconceivable that she would have been trying for a child with him. She may have answered in the affirmative when asked by the GP if she wanted a family or something like that. He has then written she was trying for a family.

Unfortunately she isnt here to clarify the situation.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Yes, there has been very little coverage though.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's interesting. Did you convict?

I suppose I'm allowed to talk about it now?

Anyone remember the Asian police specials Nisha Patel? Fadi Nasri her husband, we found him guilty and others of organising his wife death.

For 3 months I was a jury on the case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1020873/The-picture-led-killer-cheating-husband-caught-mobile-snap-vice-girls-leg.html
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member

Anyone remember the Asian police specials Nisha Patel? Fadi Nasri her husband, we found him guilty and others of organising his wife death.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1020873/The-picture-led-killer-cheating-husband-caught-mobile-snap-vice-girls-leg.html
    I think the only thing you can never discuss is what happened in the jury room.

I remember that case very well.

Please stick around in this case. I'll be very interested to hear how you view the evidence and your (changing?) opinions on innocence or guilt.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    The things that stood out for me today were

Van Zyl appears to be a very good advocate. Clearly Dewani's case has been very well prepared and there is always a seemingly plausible explanation for everything.

Anni's cousin continued to be a target for the defence today. They need to establish that she didn't know as much about their relationship as she purported to. From the tweets I saw, it looked like they managed this.

The first policeman at the scene saw Dewani in a neat clean condition. He is going to have some difficulty explaining how he managed to get pushed out of a window and why he wasn't in a messed up state. If he now feigns memory loss as to the details (which he seems to be doing from his plea explanation) he's going to have some trouble explaining why he told so many people he was pushed out of the window.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That line of questioning continued this morning. The defence said that Anni had stopped the Roaccutane in August and wanted to try for a baby after getting married.

Sneha denies this.
  • Options
    musingmusing Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The things that stood out for me today were

Van Zyl appears to be a very good advocate. Clearly Dewani's case has been very well prepared and there is always a seemingly plausible explanation for everything.

Anni's cousin continued to be a target for the defence today. They need to establish that she didn't know as much about their relationship as she purported to. From the tweets I saw, it looked like they managed this.

The first policeman at the scene saw Dewani in a neat clean condition. He is going to have some difficulty explaining how he managed to get pushed out of a window and why he wasn't in a messed up state. If he now feigns memory loss as to the details (which he seems to be doing from his plea explanation) he's going to have some trouble explaining why he told so many people he was pushed out of the window.

Agree with you that Van Zyl seems to know what he's doing and is well prepared.
    But I thought it was a no score draw between him and Sneha.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member

Don't you have to be 18 years of age or older to serve on a jury?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    count_drac wrote: »
    Don't you have to be 18 years of age or older to serve on a jury?:confused:

Why should I tell my real age on here?

Anyway back on topic please.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No you absolutely not are allowed to talk about it now.

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/discussing-the-trial

"Don’t post comments about the trial on social media websites like Facebook or Twitter - even after the trial’s finished. This is contempt of court and you can be fined or sent to prison."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you absolutely not are allowed to talk about it now.

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/discussing-the-trial

"Don’t post comments about the trial on social media websites like Facebook or Twitter - even after the trial’s finished. This is contempt of court and you can be fined or sent to prison."

Okay thanks for that.
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    one thing puzzles me

Tongo met up with Monde, and they arranged the hitmen the day before the killing. At that time Tongo wouldn't have known Dewani would be carrying the cash on him for the helicopter trip the following night, so why would he have arranged a hit for the following night if that hadn't already been agreed with Dewani ?

actually make that two things -

if the helicopter trip had any truth in it, why were they travelling back to the hotel after dinner, and not going to see the helicopter man ?
  • Options
    agent butternutagent butternut Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zakbob wrote: »
    Or Anni was screaming before he was seemingly ejected through the window, or perhaps Tongo told him.

Tongo was let out before Dewani, at a different place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClaireCh wrote: »
    if the helicopter trip had any truth in it, why were they travelling back to the hotel after dinner, and not going to see the helicopter man ?

They were 45 minutes out of Cape Town so wherever the imaginary "helicopter pilot" lived they would have been heading back towards town.

But of course the helicopter story is transparent made-up nonsense and nobody would go to a pilot's house at 11pm to pay him cash for a flight the following day. And nobody would pay a taxi driver to go to a pilot and give him the money for a trip the following day.

The helicopter scenic travel and charter industry in Cape Town is organised and well-developed. Just google "helicopter cape town" and you'll see countless companies and options. You book online or just pick up the phone and call any company for a quote and a booking. Even easier, you ask the hotel to do it for you, especially if you want it to be a surprise for your wife.

"I'd like to visit the pilot at home in the middle of the night with my wife to pay him for her surprise trip tomorrow", said nobody ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zakbob wrote: »
    I am still not content with the idea that it was Dewani who asked Tongo to murder his wife.

I'm content that Tongo had never before thought to rob or murder any of the VIPS and wealthy tourists he drove around for a living. I'm content that Tongo didn't make up the phrase "if I wanted to have a client taken off the scene..."

I'm not 100% convinced that Dewani was the only person that had this conversation with Tongo. If there was a conversation that pre-dated the couple's arrival in Cape Town then I hope it comes out in Tongo's testimony.

See, Tongo, in his own trial, started the story at meeting at the airport. He never said, nor did he have to in his own defence, whether he'd been told to look out for a specific person or stand in a certain spot or whatever. And if this did happen then the SA prosecution would have wisely saved it for this trial.
  • Options
    musingmusing Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm content that Tongo had never before thought to rob or murder any of the VIPS and wealthy tourists he drove around for a living. I'm content that Tongo didn't make up the phrase "if I wanted to have a client taken off the scene..."

I'm not 100% convinced that Dewani was the only person that had this conversation with Tongo. If there was a conversation that pre-dated the couple's arrival in Cape Town then I hope it comes out in Tongo's testimony.

See, Tongo, in his own trial, started the story at meeting at the airport. He never said, nor did he have to in his own defence, whether he'd been told to look out for a specific person or stand in a certain spot or whatever. And if this did happen then the SA prosecution would have wisely saved it for this trial.

Butternut, did Tongo go on trial?
    I thought he and Qwabe didn't go on trial because they struck a plea bargain, and the only one who went on trial was Mgneni.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    musing wrote: »
    Butternut, did Tongo go on trial?
    I thought he and Qwabe didn't go on trial because they struck a plea bargain, and the only one who went on trial was Mgneni.

You're right, I should have said something like "in Tongo's plea and sentencing proceedings", which also happened at the Western Cape High Court.

Here is the documentation, including Tongo's statement: http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZAWCHC/2010/601.pdf. On p20 he says "I was waiting for fares at the airport when approached by Shrien Dewani..."

This document is interesting because Dewani's team has been through it with a fine comb and fabricated a reason for everything, hence the convoluted and clumsy plea explanation that opened his trial.
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, I should have said something like "in Tongo's plea and sentencing proceedings", which also happened at the Western Cape High Court.

Here is the documentation, including Tongo's statement: http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZAWCHC/2010/601.pdf. On p20 he says "I was waiting for fares at the airport when approached by Shrien Dewani..."

This document is interesting because Dewani's team has been through it with a fine comb and fabricated a reason for everything, hence the convoluted and clumsy plea explanation that opened his trial.

I have just read through the statement the one thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Tongo states that he would be paid ZAR 5k for his part in the plot but then at the end he says he was paid ZAR 1k.

I very vaguely recall in a documentary that he had said he went into the toilets to check the money handed to him the next day at the hotel and that it had been short but then CCTV evidence just showed him walking into the toilets and then walking out.
    Did he ever say he was underpaid? Is it wierd that he didn't mention it in his statement?