Options

Men who tell other men to 'get a hair cut'.

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 15 yr old son has long hair, its down to his shoulders now, Its normal for him, his dad has always had long hair,and his grandad (my dad) also had long ish hair (until he started thinning too much so he now shaves it off)

As far as i know, no one has ever said to him to get a hair cut,although his great grandad (89 yrs old) thinks he looks a bit scruffy!
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God yes. I used to get this a lot when I worked in a pub and like you say it mostly came from people with no hair. When I had it long I got comments, when I shaved it I got comments and when I dyed it I got comments as well as, like you say, those who try to tell you when you need a shave even though it's pig all to do with them. I'm so glad I don't work in a pub anymore. Those places are full of idiots who can't mind their own business.

I was sat in a pub a couple of year back on my phone (probably on here) and one guy told me I was being anti social yet he didn't actually want to talk to me. He just had an issue with people being on their phones. I said, 'how is it any different than if I was sitting here reading a paper which a lot of people do when they're in the pub by themselves.' Actually what I really wanted to say was, 'what the f**k has it got to do with you! :mad: but that may have earned me a black eye.

It's a pity that these people have got such sad lives that they've got nowt else better do than make comments about how other people go about their business.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    When I was 17 I used to deliver pizzas, I had long hair and lots of it, one day all the older delivery guys pounced on me and shaved my head.
    I went home and my mum shrieked and told me I looked like a nazi, and I had to buy a new crash helemt, because mine was now several sizes too big.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own hairstyle although with long hair comes responsibility and it just doesn't look nice when its a greasy stringy mess as I've seen a few young gentlemen with.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    When I was 17 I used to deliver pizzas, I had long hair and lots of it, one day all the older delivery guys pounced on me and shaved my head.
    I went home and my mum shrieked and told me I looked like a nazi, and I had to buy a new crash helemt, because mine was now several sizes too big.

That would be assault. Did you involve the Police ? :eek:
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    fink wrote: »
    I had the full Clint Boon cut at the start of the 90's

Haha, now that takes some cajones :D I'd love to turn up to work sporting that, just to see the faces. There were so many more interesting styles for men in the 60's :(
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    There’s a janitor at work who keeps telling me to get my hair cut (it’s collar length). I just tell him I will if he gives his head a polish. Then he’ll moan about me being rude and making personal remarks.

But when it comes to telling people their hair is too long my mum is the world’s worst. I’ve lost count of the number of rows we’ve had because once she starts she WILL NOT stop going on and on about it. She is obsessed with telling people their hair needs cutting.

She spend Christmas with my sister and fell out with her because she wouldn’t stop nagging my 16 year old niece to get her hair cut, she spent three days constantly going on about it. She was the same with my ex (one of the reasons why she became an ex), the constant nagging and remarks about her hair being too long.

As soon as my mum saw her she’d say “I thought you were getting your hair cut.” And then she’d be off, “It would look nice short… it’s a bit long…you should get it cut short…”

When we’d tell her to stop going on about people’s hair she’d say she wasn’t… and then “…but it would look nice if it was short.” And off she’d go again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    God yes. I used to get this a lot when I worked in a pub and like you say it mostly came from people with no hair. When I had it long I got comments, when I shaved it I got comments and when I dyed it I got comments as well as, like you say, those who try to tell you when you need a shave even though it's pig all to do with them. I'm so glad I don't work in a pub anymore. Those places are full of idiots who can't mind their own business.

I was sat in a pub a couple of year back on my phone (probably on here) and one guy told me I was being anti social yet he didn't actually want to talk to me. He just had an issue with people being on their phones. I said, 'how is it any different than if I was sitting here reading a paper which a lot of people do when they're in the pub by themselves.' Actually what I really wanted to say was, 'what the f**k has it got to do with you! :mad: but that may have earned me a black eye.

It's a pity that these people have got such sad lives that they've got nowt else better do than make comments about how other people go about their business.

Agree. Yes, certain places are worse than others. Any haunt where you tend to get low-rent people, is rife with these sorts of neanderthals. Like you say, it's that they can't mind their own damn business that is most irritating. What's it to them if you have long hair, like to use a phone in a pub etc...? Why do they care? I don't care how they look or what they do. They may cut their hair to impress other blokes :p but I don't.

Just shows, some men are just as gossipy and bitchy as many women seem to get accused of. Either that or it's some failed attempt at getting one over on you which, when it's coming from a bald guy, is frankly laughable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I remember once getting my own back on a much older guy at work, when I was only 22, who told me my (then) long hair looked scruffy, and I said in an equally loud voice "Maybe long and scruffy, but better than your filthy long fingernails".

He never said another word to me after that :p

It's always those which cast the first stones isn't it?

There was a bloke who used to get in my dad's pub that was fiddling disability. 2 walking sticks and a motorbility car yet talked about working under his lads car and working on his roof at the weekends and spent all his time propping up the bar. Never done a legitimate days work in his life. Every time I walked downstairs on a Sunday lunchtime he used to say, 'just got up?'

This went on for years saying the same thing all the time. One day he caught me a foul mood and I was just ready for him. I snapped. I said, 'Yes actually I just got up because I've been working nights, something YOU wouldn't know anything about not having done a days work in your life! :mad: I stormed out and he was never seen in the pub again. My dad said it's about time I put him in his place.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably run a family chain of barbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    It's always those which cast the first stones isn't it?

There was a bloke who used to get in my dad's pub that was fiddling disability. 2 walking sticks and a motorbility car yet talked about working under his lads car and working on his roof at the weekends and spent all his time propping up the bar. Never done a legitimate days work in his life. Every time I walked downstairs on a Sunday lunchtime he used to say, 'just got up?'

This went on for years saying the same thing all the time. One day he caught me a foul mood and I was just ready for him. I snapped. I said, 'Yes actually I just got up because I've been working nights, something YOU wouldn't know anything about not having done a days work in your life! :mad: I stormed out and he was never seen in the pub again. My dad said it's about time I put him in his place.

Rgghh, I hate the "just got up?" guys too. So needlessly smarmy, and almost always uttered by the laziest people on the planet. I think they think, if they attack everyone else, nobody wil notice how lazy they are. They call it banter, but hate it if anyone tries doing the same to them.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Rgghh, I hate the "just got up?" guys too. So needlessly smarmy, and almost always uttered by the laziest people on the planet. I think they think, if they attack everyone else, nobody wil notice how lazy they are. They call it banter, but hate it if anyone tries doing the same to them.

I work with someone like that, always asking "Did you bother doing that job in your diary?" That's from someone with a diary full of jobs he didn't bother doing because he's too busy finding fault with people who do actually work.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jealous, bald, older men on the other hand, can go cry into their regaine.
    Lol, love it! When these baldies say this to you, you need to say 'well at least I've got hair!'
    This 'go get a haircut' nonsense applies to women as well. In college I used to let my hair grow to my waist. The amount of girls who used to say 'why don't you get it cut?' etc was irritating...and many of them wore weaves/extensions :confused:
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the 80s, it was fashionable to have longer hair and as I was a bit of a Goth mine was back combed on occasion!

Yep, normally I would get older, thinning or bald men telling me to get a hair cut, or calling me a 'bloody hippy' at which point I would point out that I was a Goth!

Anyway, my stock answer to the get a hair cut remark was 'Look mate, if you really want a hair donation, and I can see you desperately need one, go and ask someone else'!

Same thing happened in the early 90s when Brit Pop exploded, I had 'curtains' which normally provoked a few like comments!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol, love it! When these baldies say this to you, you need to say 'well at least I've got hair!'
    This 'go get a haircut' nonsense applies to women as well. In college I used to let my hair grow to my waist. The amount of girls who used to say 'why don't you get it cut?' etc was irritating...and many of them wore weaves/extensions :confused:

:D Yeah, might have guessed this bizarre and unnecessary behaviour wouldn't be exclusive to men. I did get one comment from an older woman, but only ever got compliments from the younger ones. Perhaps the younger women who don't like it are just polite enough to keep it to themselves, after-all, it's not like I walk around, gleefully pointing out things I don't like about other people, unless they do it to me first, obviously :p In fact, I don't walk around looking at other men, and their hair, in general (why the hell would I care?), unless they happen to be stupid enough to joke about my hair while being a big fat baldy themselves :D

I do think it's an intelligence thing too. Stupid people just tend to blurt out whatever the most obvious thing that comes into their head is. They'll think, 'oh, she has longer hair than most people, that's different, why is she not like everyone else?' and then they simply must point this out to you. Or they wish they could be bothered to grow it too, and there's an element of jealousy, like they think if they tell you to cut your hair it will in some way, affect your decision.

A bit off topic, but along the same lines, my sister used to say, back when she was single, men and women would ask if she was single and when she said she was, they'd say things like "aww, you'll find someone" or "you're so pretty, how come you are single?" and she found it really annoying because she was single by choice! She was just pissed off at men at that time :D People need to just **** off and stop sticking their noses in if you ask me :p
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tell people to get a haircut all the time.

Whenever I see my brother, the first thing I always say to him is, "Get a haircut dumbass, you look like a hobo" and I'm always bitching at him to get a razor mark. I will not associate myself with a scruff-pot as a sibling. My dad gets a haircut like every 2-3 weeks and is always raging at my brother to do the same. He's just used to it now. I feel bad for him sometimes, it's not his fault his hair looks like a bush.

A clean haircut is a big deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    I tell people to get a haircut all the time.

Whenever I see my brother, the first thing I always say to him is, "Get a haircut dumbass, you look like a hobo" and I'm always bitching at him to get a razor mark. I will not associate myself with a scruff-pot as a sibling. My dad gets a haircut like every 2-3 weeks and is always raging at my brother to do the same. He's just used to it now. I feel bad for him sometimes, it's not his fault his hair looks like a bush.

A clean haircut is a big deal.

Does he even want to associate with you? :rolleyes:

If my brother told me I looked like a hobo, he'd be in a headlock until he took it back :D
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he even want to associate with you? :rolleyes:

If my brother told me I looked like a hobo, he'd be in a headlock until he took it back :D

Duh he does, I'm awesome.

lol mine is accustomed to me being an asshole. He knows I wuv him.
  • Options
    Coma_WhiteComa_White Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    I fail to understand why people equate men's long hair as scruffy, whereas a woman with equivalent length hair wouldn't be labelled as such.

My husband has long hair. And when I say long, I mean nearly to his waist.

But he takes good care of it, buys all sorts of products to ensure it's in good condition, wears it in a smart ponytail for work, etc.

He gets a lot of compliments from people - but yes, typically, there are those that do have an issue, especially those that consider short hair a sign of maturity.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »
    That would be assault. Did you involve the Police ? :eek:
    No, it was a ' blokey lark' type thing,I was pissed off about the helmet though.

And looking like a nazi meant a shortage of female interest , till it grew back..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unfortunately I already tried that response but somehow these small minded braindeads don't seem to get the hint that their so called 'joke' wasn't even funny the first time around let alone after the 20th time of having to tolerate it. They think it's banter and fail to see that it's not funny, it's just annoying. Sadly the only way to make some people stop is by outright upsetting them so they no longer speak to you. Some people are so thick they can't tell when something has gone past being funny. Unfortunately when you work with the public you sometimes have to bite your lip but now that I don't have to I can now tell them what I think of them.

Perhaps the best thing you can say is, 'You need to get yourself a new joke book because that one wasn't even funny the FIRST time I heard it, let alone having to hear it EVERY time I have to see you!' Then roll your eyes and walk away. Works like a charm. With a bit of luck they may get the hint that their so called banter isn't actually all that hilarious.