Options

migrants

Comments

• Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's the Abbott Formula. The more desperate their actions look, the more they must be genuine asylum seekers. It's not like anyone bored or stupid ever took an insane risk. All those skateboard videos on youtube are a conspiracy.
    :kitty:
    Diane or Russ? :D
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    They wanted to go to Australia???
    That's a little revisionist surely.

How can you compare the migration of humans from relatively prosperous/settled counties to places where, for all intents and purposes civilisation hadn't even got started, to those migrating to where the hard tasks have been done?

Especially in light of their being no positive contribution to those places whatsoever in the way of progress. No new tech that is needed, no new ideas about how to arrange society, nothing, from the migrants.

I was answering a specific statement that our 'ancestors' didn't flee, when of course they did... looking for a better life and fleeing religious/political persecution or economic hardship. At the time of, say, the potato famine in Ireland or the expulsions of highlanders from their land in Scotland, they were not living in prosperity - quite the reverse and places like the US offered ownership of land and work in the new cities.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Illegal immigrants cannot access tax-payer funded services. What they do is take less than minimum wage jobs so the legal populace can have cheap stuff and businesses can make more profit. Why do you think Conservative governments are no better than any other at tackling illegal immigrant numbers... who else will pick crops on their farms or clean their offices and factories?

We already have enough migrants here already to do that.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    Are you listening to a word that I am saying? :)

The Migrants who come to the UK to look after your elderly relatives in Care Homes are advancing your understanding in ways which are more important than words can convey. They are teaching you that families are important....people are important.....and that the people who looked after your every personal need when you needed that attention should not be tossed aside just because they now have intimate personal needs.....

I'm sorry but that's nonsense, they only do it for the money.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P_P wrote: »
    That is absolutely ridiculous. How are people meant to suddenly find weapons and start fighting a group like ISIS. As we're lucky enough to not be in their position, I have no idea how you're so sure that you'd stay and fight.

I'm confused are all the people in Calais fleeing ISIS if they are why didn't they claim asylum in the first safe country they arrived in or are they economic migrants who should have applied to emigrate to the UK via proper channels
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are running for your life down a street away from someone or something, you would go to the first house you saw for refuge. You wouldn't run past the lot of them to get to the last one because it looked nicer and you thought you would have everything waiting for you, and you certainly wouldn't leave your families behind to get killed would you?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P_P wrote: »
    That is absolutely ridiculous. How are people meant to suddenly find weapons and start fighting a group like ISIS. As we're lucky enough to not be in their position, I have no idea how you're so sure that you'd stay and fight.

She wouldn't leave their home.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how many in Calais have been 'pulled out of the sea after their death trap boats have sunk' and awarded refugee status?

I've no idea what your bolded comment about 'demeanour' is about btw. You previously said that the migrants are 'literally fleeing for their lives' when clearly they no longer are (if indeed they were to start with).

More Red Herrings.
    David Cameron is going to make a decision soon on the share of Refugees that the Eu want him to take. Have you noticed how many refugees have fled conflict zones in the past few years? Are you disputing the UN's ability to award Refugee status? When are you going to talk about that and stop hiding behind the young guys causing mayhem in Calais. What is your position on Actual Refugees?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I just hope this country knows the enemy within before it is too late, but I suspect I'll have to fight alone while those who defend the idea of running away, run away.

What'd you fight with? Your keyboard?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    It just isnt . The US actually relies on its vast illegal immigrant population and it has a land mass 40 times the size with a resident population only 5 times larger ...so plenty of room . Just incomparable .

You think we don't? The black economy is estimated at 10% GDP in the UK. More than the US which is 8%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    It's actually quite difficult to pay an employee less than minimum wage as all payroll figures have to be reported online to HMRC

HMRC are good, but they are not psychic. First you have to tell them that someone is working for you.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    You watch 10 seconds of footage on TV and you think you can judge people.

At least I gave you 10 minutes. :D

Sticking two fingers up at the camera is all I needed to know about that person.

I wonder if he would do it to an ISIS camera person?
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Well I just hope this country knows the enemy within before it is too late, but I suspect I'll have to fight alone while those who defend the idea of running away, run away.

Maybe you should go to Calais to sort them all out being as you feel so strongly about them.:p
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    so many apologists for the swarm of freeloading illegal immigrant lowlives.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but that's nonsense, they only do it for the money.

And the motivation for Asian families to look after their own elderly parents is??
  • Options
    P_PP_P Posts: 18,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused are all the people in Calais fleeing ISIS if they are why didn't they claim asylum in the first safe country they arrived in or are they economic migrants who should have applied to emigrate to the UK via proper channels

I'm not claiming all of the people at Calais are fleeing ISIS. I was replying to a poster that said they would stay and fight ISIS instead of leave for a safer place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sticking two fingers up at the camera is all I needed to know about that person.

I wonder if he would do it to an ISIS camera person?

Why wouldn't he if you reckon they are capable of fighting IS?
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    We have a border in Calais, hence the problem under discussion. What will getting out of the EU do to solve that?

We wouldn't be obliged to take quotas of asylum seekers.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly. As soon as the boats started leaving Africa it was obvious they were on their way here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    I assume you are using the Centre for Policy Studies figures... however they apply to people who receive benefits and services... illegal immigrants don't.

Seems about right, do you have an opposing figure or are you just blowing hot air?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What'd you fight with? Your keyboard?

What would you fight with? Or would you run away too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We wouldn't be obliged to take quotas of asylum seekers.

We aren't required to do that now and we don't. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the kids so called "mothers" shouldn't have put them in that position to start with should they!

However dreadful those conditions are, if my children were at risk from groups like ISIS or starvation at home I would risk taking them somewhere else... and I bet you would too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he if you reckon they are capable of fighting IS?

Because he wasn't really fleeing ISIS. But if he was going to be killed for sticking two fingers up at an ISIS camera person then I doubt he would have done it.
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think Dave used the wrong term earlier today - "swarm" implies insects. Whatever you think about the migrants, that was wrong.

Not that I think it was calculated or deliberate. It slipped out and was indicative of his underlying feelings.
    'Swarm' also describes groups of people moving around in large numbers - which from where I'm sitting, seems pretty accurate.
This discussion has been closed.