Options

black Friday 2014 in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    This is a disgusting example of human nature.

People who are so desperate to save £20 off of a 40" TV should take a second to think about the modern day slaves that made it.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who finds themselves grappling on the floor of Argos punching a random strangers lights out to save £50 off of a tv really needs to take a long hard look at themselves
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Are you sure there wasn't a ruckus over the 50% off polenta?

You know polenta is just ground up corn right?

And it's the food of poor people in italy. Costs about 14 cents a kilo.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feel sorry for all the staff in the shops where these maniacs were fighting. I would call in sick.

Another reason why my wife left retail......work late on Christmas Eve and then pitch up on Boxing Day.

There is is of course many people prepared to do this.
  • Options
    davehunter5davehunter5 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Tom_Mullen wrote: »
    Good comparison, it was a bit sad and to be honest embarrassing. Fighting over some pretty average stuff from the looks of it that the supermarkets would no doubt have discounted in the future anyway.

You know I will see loads of that stuff getting returned due to damage as well
    Not for me!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be 'losing touch'! :blush:

First i knew of this Black Friday madness was at 1.30am today after someone posted video clips of hoodies and fat women scrapping over television sets. :o

I logged into Curry's website but there isn't much to get excited about and there is still plenty of over priced goods available.

I could understand this more if they were knocking out 1000 quid telly's at 50 quid or ipads at a fiver.
  • Options
    davehunter5davehunter5 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    They really did behave like mindless idiots. Some women even got knocked over in the rush to get in the store. Some people really are absolute morons.

It’s a sad sad situation, what have we come too, sorry them!
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    You have to be seriously ill-informed to want to, and have to buy a TV from Tesco.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did have a mobile voucher for 24% off at Matalan. So I ventured down there, had a look around, and ended up only buying a strapless bra!
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to be seriously ill-informed to want to, and have to buy a TV from Tesco.

Why? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

I think he's under the impression that the majority of TVs there are of sub standard quality because he's under the impression that companies like Sony etc aren't the type to encourage him to change his TV every 3 or 4 years. Sony are good people, you see.

;-)
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Never seen a decent spec tv in tesco. I would rather buy one from a dedicated tv store/department.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched a few more videos that popped up on Facebook, each one more vicious than before.

Do people really need a TV this badly?

Pathetic reprobates.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never got the fuss of big screen TVs.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen a decent spec tv in tesco. I would rather buy one from a dedicated tv store/department.

Just Tesco or other supermarkets?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Just watched a few more videos that popped up on Facebook, each one more vicious than before.

Do people really need a TV this badly?

Pathetic reprobates.

They're probably just thinking, it's cheap, it's cheap, IT'S CHEAP!
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    Women fighting over underwear I've not long read - what is wrong with people? Jeez I'd rather go commando than fight over a pair of knickers.

Oh la la Francie. :D:D:D
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would happen if there was ever a food shortage or other national emergency,if people cant control themselves in a sale?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    They're probably just thinking, it's cheap, it's cheap, IT'S CHEAP!
    How much cheaper are we talking though?

If shops were flogging 40" TVs for a few quid then I could maybe begin to understand what all the fuss is about.
    But are we talking like 10-20% off here? Because that's not a massive discount. And certainly not one to warrant such madness.
    Even a 50% discount on a TV shouldn't ellicit such a wanton, carnal response in anyone.

Complete and utter pondlife, the lot of them.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if there is similar animalistic behaviour in the US when they do Black Friday there?

Yes. People have actually been killed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    What would happen if there was ever a food shortage or other national emergency,if people cant control themselves in a sale?

It just shows how animal like (and impatient) in behaviour some people can be.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Plebs.

Is that a brand of 50" TV? with a £5 saving? :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    How much cheaper are we talking though?

If shops were flogging 40" TVs for a few quid then I could maybe begin to understand what all the fuss is about.
    But are we talking like 10-20% off here? Because that's not a massive discount. And certainly not one to warrant such madness.
    Even a 50% discount on a TV shouldn't ellicit such a wanton, carnal response in anyone.

Complete and utter pondlife, the lot of them.

No, I'm not saying the TVs were cheap. I was just meaning that they probably thought 'cheap' just because there was a sale.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Overall, I think Black Friday is a great US import, much better than the Boxing day sales. I mean, it's much better to do your Xmas shopping before.

With Amazon being so aggressive, the pressure not only to keep it but expand on it will be immense across all UK retailers.

It's a win/win for consumers really.