Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had not realised that Ollie was getting browner every day. :p
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    labasheedy wrote: »
    Brilliant!! :D

Ollie, who made his name in Made In Chelsea, became so brown over the next few days he reminded me of Peter Sellers playing an Indian character in The Party (a film I doubt he’s seen).

I did enjoy that line:D

Overall an interesting article, can't believe Sam earns only £50 a day for TOWIE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dictamus wrote: »
    She's observant and insightful. Big Brother has gone a long way to explaining why LJ is one of the Mail's most highly paid journalists.

Perversely, I don't think it has. She CAN do insightful and observant - as here - but she often doesn't. She really is a bit car-crash for long periods of time: staggeringly repetitive. Sometimes she simply lifts entire paragraphs from previous columns and recycles them.

I suspect that the real reason she did BB is that absolutely no one believed in the rock star; she is in a real relationship at last, and it's not providing her with a whole lot of material; and she desperately needed freshening up.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divergent wrote: »
    That's so insightful. Casey was bullied throughout school for her big breasts and never made female friends - didn't know that.

You still don't know it if the only source is Liz.

BTW, didn't Liz say she wasn't going to write about CBB? I'm pretty sure she did ...
  • Options
    Shine_OnShine_On Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    full of interesting stuff. Good lord though, towie stars are only paid £50 a day. No wonder they are always keen to do rtv shows.

Nasty of the photographer to say that Casey is 'over'. I bet she isn't.

The TOWIE salary is pretty well known. They make up for it by being able to charge 5k + for PA's, having a percentage on picture shoot sales to mags / papers, panel show fees and the platform to sell their cheap tat on. That's how it gets justified anyway.

The MIC lot are on a little bit more 200+ per show :p
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perversely, I don't think it has. She CAN do insightful and observant - as here - but she often doesn't. She really is a bit car-crash for long periods of time: staggeringly repetitive. Sometimes she simply lifts entire paragraphs from previous columns and recycles them.

I suspect that the real reason she did BB is that absolutely no one believed in the rock star; she is in a real relationship at last, and it's not providing her with a whole lot of material; and she desperately needed freshening up.

"Insightful and observant" just means "I agree". It's like Grace Dent all over again. :(

I wonder what parts people think are either insightful or observant. There must be plenty of people just in this forum who could write something that was more of both, you among them.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''me me me me me me me me me me me shock horror overdose on sleeping pills me me me me me me me me me''

she hasn't changed at all.

whichever celeb it was, he probably had a drink like everyone else and then took a couple of his usual sleeping pills later that night. But it sounds so much better if you say 'mixed alcohol and sleeping pills'' doesn't it?
  • Options
    klawklaw Posts: 1,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they have it on tape Jim's version of what happened in Frank Carson's dressing room or maybe from Lionel....but they showed it...instead they only let Linda's version when she spoke to Lee go out and then Emma taking Linda's side on BBbots

Great point - of course professional widow Linda (8 years ago, btw) must be protected but Jim (Operation Yew-Tree arrested never charged but **** him he's a man) doesn't deserve his side told, as it might upset Linda.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loulight wrote: »
    It's an okay article, a little funny, quite balanced. She confirms Nolan self-harmed in the toilet or bathroom because of the distress caused by Jim ... but she doesn't elaborate and it's not negative towards Jim or anyone else and neither is it supporting anyone particularly.

Did she witness this or just see the stretch shield she wears on her arm for another illness.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,860
    Forum Member
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    Now when asked she said she wasn't going to write an article about the house.

:)

LOL I know. But we knew that wasn't going to happen didn't we? After all if you have a column to write and you are incarcerated in the BB House for 3 weeks what else are you going to write about.

I am not a fan of Ms Jones' writing generally and even less of the Malicious but am interested to read this so thanks for the link.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often "mixed sleeping pills and alcohol", though moderate amounts of both. And feeling neither depressed nor the least bit suicidal.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad truth is had Liz expressed herself in the house as she does in her articles, she might have lasted longer and been held in higher regard. She makes a living being outspoken but the reality (or the distorted tv reality we saw) is she's a shy thing that wouldn't say boo to a goose! In this respect I doubt she won many new fans. But she seemed pleasant enough and she's the most remarkably 'non-deaf' deaf person I've ever seen (or rather heard). :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    klaw wrote: »
    Great point - of course professional widow Linda (8 years ago, btw) must be protected but Jim (Operation Yew-Tree arrested never charged but **** him he's a man) doesn't deserve his side told, as it might upset Linda.

Eight years is nothing if you have loved someone for 40 years Hun.

My Dad died over a decade ago and my mother has never been quite the same since. She still goes out, has friends, does voluntary work, plays a role in the community, travels etc. But its like she is a shadow of the woman she used to be, not as confident.. I don't know how to describe it. Its like a light went out, she seems diminished, paler. I guess she is just lonely.

I was going to say I hope you never have to find this out for yourself but actually in the nicest way I hope you do.
  • Options
    ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Article, seems she's grown in the house and seen that people have feelings, as she does and that people want to be liked and whilst she has millions of readers, no one walked up to her... so she wasn't famous in that way.

She may well start liking and accepting herself too :)
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    'There was a pneumatic young woman from Essex who, on a long, wet afternoon, when asked to name an English city, would say hopefully, ‘Cornwall?’' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My Dad died over a decade ago and my mother has never been quite the same since. She still goes out, has friends, does voluntary work, plays a role in the community, travels etc. But its like she is a shadow of the woman she used to be, not as confident.. I don't know how to describe it. Its like a light went out, she seems diminished, paler. I guess she is just lonely.

I was going to say I hope you never have to find this out for yourself but actually in the nicest way I hope you do.

Don't assume my life story please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't assume my life story please.

I wasn't. I was sharing my experience.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    an ok artical

just a pity she got a couple of facts wrong about Nolans hubby and mother

it make me just wonder what else she got wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't. I was sharing my experience.

Spot the assumption?
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My husband died 6 years ago and it devastated me too. Even if you go out and do things with others, it is still an empty house you go back to at night. It is a very lonely existence and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If either of you went on BB, lets just assume you do because you need the money to pay for a realtives operation or something - you lost your partner 6 to 8 years ago.

How much excuse does give you for anyway you behave? Should a journalist take that into account and not say anything negative about you and also not reveal the other side of a story...you know what I mean, like Linda/Jim.

If you are really still depressed, you shouldn't be on the show should you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot the assumption?

All I meant was that I wouldn't wish the profound sadness of the loss of your life partner on you or anyone else. I hesitated because it then seemed like I was wishing that you never experienced the sort of love that can bring about such a sense of loss, which seemed mean. Nothing more.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Interesting article, although Liz did say she wouldn't write about her time in the house.

There is an inaccuracy - Linda Nolan's husband died in 2007 and not in the past year, when she lost her mother and a sister, as Liz said.

The housemate who took an overdose because he didn't like to be thought unpopular, must be Ollie, surely.

But most amazingly, if Linda Nolan really did self harm, she should have been removed from the show immediately. Likewise, Ollie (if it was him).

Incidentally, Wikipedia has it that Linda has a serious skin infection on her arm, hence the bandage.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting article, although Liz did say she wouldn't write about her time in the house.

There is an inaccuracy - Linda Nolan's husband died in 2007 and not in the past year, when she lost her mother and a sister, as Liz said.

The housemate who took an overdose because he didn't like to be thought unpopular, must be Ollie, surely.

But most amazingly, if Linda Nolan really did self harm, she should have been removed from the show immediately. Likewise, Ollie (if it was him).

Incidentally, Wikipedia has it that Linda has a serious skin infection on her arm, hence the bandage.

The Nolan's mother died January 2008
  • Options
    Polly503Polly503 Posts: 200
    Forum Member

I thought it was a pressure bandage due to lymphoma.