Options

Mrs river

2»

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh she's passed away? How sad, I hoped she'd pull through and be cracking tasteless jokes about her brush with death. I always remember her turning her husband's suicide into a joke -
    " My husband killed himself. And it was my fault. We were making love and I took the bag off my head."

Just saw a piece on BBC which had a little background to this which I wasn't aware of.....

Apparently Joan was a regular co-host on The Johnny Carson Show......but she left to do her own show produced by her husband. She didn't tell Carson she was leaving and apparently he never spoke to her again..........anyway her own show was cancelled pretty quickly and it looked like she'd thrown her career away and that's when her hubby committed suicide.......
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I hadn't heard anything about that .I still think that she was a great comedienne, R.I.P Joan.

About three weeks ago she also went on record repeating a well known, if incredibly unbelievable, conspiracy theory about Obama and his wife.

She made it sound like she knew it was true.....
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was hilarious. Sad news :(
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Funny woman, shame though that her ill conceived outburst about Gaza will be her epitaph.
    RIP Joan.

No, it won't.

Only the terminally offended will give two hoots about her Gaza comments and, frankly, they don't matter.

She'll be remembered as one of the best comedians of all time.
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. RIP Joan you were one funny lady
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Really? Or is that your biased take on it?

Lets define 'bias', in what was am I 'biased' about it?

She said that Palestinian civilians deserved to die, and those who couldn't escape those bombs had low IQ's and she couldn't care. You don't know my politics on the middle east, I'm not some hippy who's attends "Free Palestine" rallies, but I know the difference between right and wrong and when people actively state its ok to kill women and children (who are not 'terrorists' unlike Hamas who are that's completely different).

If someone had said those in 9/11 deserved to die and those who couldn't escape the buildings had low IQ's and deserved it, I don't think that would go down to well?

You can support Joan Rivers as much as you want, to many she was a brilliant comedian, I wont deny that found her work funny, but don't try to defend those comments.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Terribly sad, she was one SERIOUSLY funny lady, had me in genuine tears of laughter on many occasions, just as Robin Williams did, I often likened them to each other and now they're both gone, leaving a gaping hole in the world of comedy that can never be filled.

:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote:
    Only the terminally offended will give two hoots about her Gaza comments and, frankly, they don't matter.

How am I terminally offended, when I see somebody make comments about civilian casualties in war, in any way, I find that deeply disappointing. How can anyone make fun of innocent people dying in a war saying they support it?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Funny woman, shame though that her ill conceived outburst about Gaza will be her epitaph.
    RIP Joan.
    I was waiting on someone bringing politics into it.

Give it a bloody rest.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Saddened to hear this after reading that she was out of intensive care yesterday I was really hoping she would pull through.

I know she made some crass comments recently but I hope it doesn't take away from the years of genuinely funny comedy she blessed us with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I know she made some crass comments recently but I hope it doesn't take away from the years of genuinely funny comedy she blessed us with.

I don't have a problem with people saying despite those comments, they found her hilarious and loved her comedy.

But I do have a problem with people who rubbished what she said, or even worse agreed with her.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    No, it won't.

Her and Phyllis Diller were the first female stand up comics I remember. Groundbreaking and brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    She supported the deaths of innocent women and children. I couldn't care about peoples opinions on Middle eastern politics but if you support bombing innocent women and children then you deserved to be shamed for it.

If an Irish comedian said he supported the IRA bombing campaign and lapped up every British person torn to pieces (Birmingham pub bombings, Warrington bombings etc) I don't personally think that would go down to well.

She did nothing of the sort.

She said she had little sympathy for the Palestinians because they were sending missiles into Israel and it was unrealistic to expect Israel not to retaliate. Don't start a war if you don't want people to die was essentially what she was saying.

Of course, she put that point across in her own unique way, but that's what she said. It's also worth remembering that she was Jewish.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I didn't know plastic could die. She'll be back as an Evian bottle or two.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I was waiting on someone bringing politics into it.

Give it a bloody rest.

Tbf, I don't see the problem with saying she was a great comedian, RIP....but also had some seriously arsehole-ish views *shrug*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    "Stevie Wonder, that poor man. When is someone going to tell him he's wearing a macramé plant holder on his head?" was one of hers I found memorable. RIP Joan.

:D

I loved the way political correctness passed her by. She really didn't give a shit.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    I didn't think she would make it. Sad news. Always remember her talking with a lady in her audience about the lady's engagement ring. By all means a lovely Diamond Solitaire ring.... thus described as 'a piece of shit and four prongs'.

Thanks for tha laughs Joan. :cool:
  • Options
    couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Lets define 'bias', in what was am I 'biased' about it?

She said that Palestinian civilians deserved to die, and those who couldn't escape those bombs had low IQ's and she couldn't care. You don't know my politics on the middle east, I'm not some hippy who's attends "Free Palestine" rallies, but I know the difference between right and wrong and when people actively state its ok to kill women and children (who are not 'terrorists' unlike Hamas who are that's completely different).

If someone had said those in 9/11 deserved to die and those who couldn't escape the buildings had low IQ's and deserved it, I don't think that would go down to well?

You can support Joan Rivers as much as you want, to many she was a brilliant comedian, I wont deny that found her work funny, but don't try to defend those comments.

Yep. A horrible creature.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    No, it won't.

Actually I am pretty thick skinned and often thought that she was hilarious, nevertheless I thought her comments on Palestine were extremely ill judged and they made me think less of her. I don't suppose that matters any more than someone else's approval of her comments but let's not pretend that what she said didn't reflect on her as a person.

The fact is that she didn't give a shit, and ultimately that trait is what I will miss about her and is why I will remember her with affection regardless
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    JOAN RIVERS NOT MRS RIVER.

RIP Joan.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Actually I am pretty thick skinned and often thought that she was hilarious, nevertheless I thought her comments on Palestine were extremely ill judged and they made me think less of her. I don't suppose that matters any more than someone else's approval of her comments but let's not pretend that what she said didn't reflect on her as a person.

The fact is that she didn't give a shit, and ultimately that trait is what I will miss about her and is why I will remember her with affection regardless

Qft..
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Good riddance.. she was never funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She said she had little sympathy for the Palestinians because they were sending missiles into Israel and it was unrealistic to expect Israel not to retaliate. Don't start a war if you don't want people to die was essentially what she was saying.

Of course, she put that point across in her own unique way, but that's what she said. It's also worth remembering that she was Jewish.

Correction, Hamas were sending rockets into Israel. If she or anyone said, I supported the killing of Hamas terrorists, I have no problem with that, in fact I probably would agree with her.

But the ones in their homes, little kids wearing man utd/liverpool tops getting blown up while watching the world cup? That's deserved? Nope, sorry that's totally out of order. She's basically saying all Palestinians = terrorists.

The reason why this gets on my tits so much is because I live in Northern Ireland. I see hatred here, I've met people who've told me they would be less likely or not likely at all to help somebody dying in the street if/she was a catholic/protestant, i.e. not from their side. I utterly hate that mindset. Fvcking hate the blanketing of people/cultures/races, we can't choose who we are.

I just find the whole thing very upsetting tbh, there are 1.8 million in Gaza who are effectively boxed into a prison camp, no where to go (they're not allowed to leave) and over 2000 civilians have died. Whatever your views on politics the middle east, to say that those people deserved to die for just being Palestinians is ridiculous.

If you enjoy her stand up stuff, knock yourself out watch all her dvd's, lots of people love her stuff, I get that. I follow the events in the middle east, I see pictures of all the crap and bombing and all dead kids lying in the midst of the rubble (in hospitals and schools remember) with their parents crying their eyes out, I personally don't care if people see as one of the "offended brigade" I don't find that stuff funny.

Like I say I'm not going to keep participating in Joan Rivers threads, I've said my piece now, if people want to reminisce about her stuff as a comedian in tribute threads, then go ahead that's fine, maybe she was one of the best ever and she deserves adulation for that.

I don't want people defending those comments though.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    Good riddance.. she was never funny.

I find many comedians less than funny. Much of what they say is in extreme bad taste. Often offensive. One mans meat is another mans poison.

I thought she was a one off amazing nutty totally oddball singularly funny woman.
This discussion has been closed.