Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Magic's my fave song by them.
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i find them patchy, i do not rate this latest track at all, it seems like its been done before and better too.

but i guess a geezer knocking 60 isnt their target market! :D

Agree Rob, some songs are great but some a bit meh but I'd buy a GH cd by them.
  • Options
    speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i feel sorry for the one with the massive bum and thighs,i bet the others are laughing at her behind her back.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Magic's my fave song by them.

Black Magic was the single that really put them on the map as more than just X Factor winners. :cool:

It was mine too, until the follow-up Love Me Like You. ;-)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    It's better. Be more American. It's the greatest nation in the world.

And because they can't rap.

They can't sing either. Maybe they should try rapping.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone thought this when Little Mix won X Factor five years ago? :D

Fact is, out of all the X Factor winners (including Leona) Little Mix are 5 years into their career as a pop group and are enjoying their most successful era right now. Not in their first 18 months like Leona did. Or in their first six months like the rest of them!!! :D

The fact they're doing so well 5 years on speaks volumes. Obviously there will always be people who don't like pop music or have little interest in Little Mix who will be unimpressed. For me, their success right now indicates just how popular they have become and that is a great thing.

Otherwise the same people would've just laughed at them had they flopped after album #2 and got dropped by the record label. With some people's attitudes, you can never win.

I am so thankful that it has been something of a uphill climb for them - it has made the girls determined to prove themselves. There wasn't really a whole lot of buzz around them during the XF, they were kind of a surprise win but have worked their way up steadily over 5 years. This is a true testament to their hard work, talent and determination and is a much better position to be than burning out bright and fast. If you think about it, most pop bands and done and dusted within 5 years, not at their peak like LM.
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i feel sorry for the one with the massive bum and thighs,i bet the others are laughing at her behind her back.

I think that kind of comment says more about you than actually rings true. The girls are all very close and I think Jesy has a lovely figure. So if you're not super skinny then you have a massive bum and thighs? And people wonder why eating disorders are on the rise when this is the kind of thing that people post...
  • Options
    ZarlaZarla Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    There have been huge crossovers with the LM and 1d fandoms, due to the bands being on the same label and the Zayn connection. The new song is 100% aimed at a US audience, with the trailer park/motel white trash Thelma and Louise style video. SOTME is a huge rip off of GRL's Ugly Heart, though, which I think is a tasteless thing to do to such a tragic band.

I would be suing if I were GRL's label.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Jesy has become a kind of icon to curvier girls on social media (by which I mean size 12-16 girls, not mega plus size types). Gifs of her performing in leotards are all over Tumblr and she is celebrated for not being ashamed of her bigger thighs.

Aesthetically, though, she looks a million times better in a very short skirt than in a high legged swimsuit, as on the cover to their latest single.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zarla wrote: »
    Jesy has become a kind of icon to curvier girls on social media (by which I mean size 12-16 girls, not mega plus size types). Gifs of her performing in leotards are all over Tumblr and she is celebrated for not being ashamed of her bigger thighs.

Aesthetically, though, she looks a million times better in a very short skirt than in a high legged swimsuit, as on the cover to their latest single.

Unfortunately, it's in the nature of things that a girl group will get referenced on their looks as well as their music. LM know that. Jesy knows that, but she's self confidence enough now to not let anything rattle her. And I think that's why she's a great role model as well as one of the most attractive women in pop music today.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Age is just a number but you don't have to like them. Though LM are up with the success levels of Girls Aloud and Sugababes now.

true, but somehow i cant respect them as much as GA or even the sugababes. despite the 2 singles i like the rest of their material is nothing special and imho not as memorable (or good?) as the singles by GA or the sugababes.
    Black Magic was the single that really put them on the map as more than just X Factor winners. :cool:

It was mine too, until the follow-up Love Me Like You. ;-)

we concur again, which isnt unusual! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    true, but somehow i cant respect them as much as GA or even the sugababes. despite the 2 singles i like the rest of their material is nothing special and imho not as memorable (or good?) as the singles by GA or the sugababes.

)

I'll admit that The Sugababes, despite their personnel problems, have a catalogue of diverse, high quality hits. They are one of my fav groups.

LM are more like GA with a bit more humour. It's not a great era for pop groups but the talent shows have spawned four - Girls Aloud, JLS, 1D and Little Mix.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own but the girls don't need to play instruments because they are a pop band and know it. However the girls can truly sing

I have heard worse, but I have heard better. People said the spice girls could sing, but it turned out that most of them could not.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i find them patchy, i do not rate this latest track at all, it seems like its been done before and better too.

but i guess a geezer knocking 60 isnt their target market! :D

Maybe that is my problem, maybe at 51 it is not my sort of thing, saying that I do like some modern music, i heard a couple of thing from Katey Perry and some of it was good, not all, sia have a few good songs as well.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been huge crossovers with the LM and 1d fandoms, due to the bands being on the same label and the Zayn connection. The new song is 100% aimed at a US audience, with the trailer park/motel white trash Thelma and Louise style video. SOTME is a huge rip off of GRL's Ugly Heart, though, which I think is a tasteless thing to do to such a tragic band.

The worst thing is you have Mixers sending abusive messages on GRL to social media after they pointed out the songs were similar.
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are good, but not amazing, like they are made out to be. They get plenty of promo and had the advantage of The X Factor, which does help.
  • Options
    Kate42Kate42 Posts: 123
    Forum Member

I absolutely agree Zarla.

I am also baffled that SOTME is number one and 5th Harmony That's My Girl, which is far superior is number 31????
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll admit that The Sugababes, despite their personnel problems, have a catalogue of diverse, high quality hits. They are one of my fav groups.

LM are more like GA with a bit more humour. It's not a great era for pop groups but the talent shows have spawned four - Girls Aloud, JLS, 1D and Little Mix.

I'm not really a fan of commercial pop music but I have always had a liking for Sugarbabes. They always had that little bit of an edge that made them stand out against other girlbands. Just a shame it was never the same after the original members left.

I'd also add Liberty X to the list of decent pop bands to come from reality tv. It seems to be the one area that has worked
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it's in the nature of things that a girl group will get referenced on their looks as well as their music.

It's extremely obvious that these kind of acts exploit this to the max and that's it's not just some regrettable side-effect of being in the public eye. Over the top sexploitation to reel in an audience.
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Yeah I do think they pushed through the difficult first year or two after X Factor and are now cemented in the UK's current biggest pop acts.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Maybe that is my problem, maybe at 51 it is not my sort of thing, saying that I do like some modern music, i heard a couple of thing from Katey Perry and some of it was good, not all, sia have a few good songs as well.

we might not be their target audience, but surely it doesnt stop us having an objective opinion on them, after all we have seen it all before and can compare.

i dont think they are as good as the spice girls, girls aloud, sugababes, bananarama, all saints, possibly more. (ignoring the american acts like the supremes, crystals etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    It's extremely obvious that these kind of acts exploit this to the max and that's it's not just some regrettable side-effect of being in the public eye. Over the top sexploitation to reel in an audience.

So how does this sexploitation work? Little Mix's audience is overwhelmingly female, I know, I've seen them live.

And the video shows them in glamorous poses rather than anything overtly sexual.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Four lasses who seem nice. They work bloody hard, and it shows in their success. They make decent pop records. To be as successful as they are given that they came from The X Factor is amazing. Not only are the only group to win it, no other winner has ever done as well. In fact, only 1D even come close to their success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kate42 wrote: »
    I absolutely agree Zarla.

I am also baffled that SOTME is number one and 5th Harmony That's My Girl, which is far superior is number 31????

I think that's because the 5H song is from an album that's already been released, so people have the song in another format. I can never understand why bands do this. In the 20th Century, bands would release three singles ahead of the album to make sure they did as well as possible in the charts but that doesn't happen now.

Spice Girls vs LM - SG had some fantastic songs but Victoria Beckham couldn't sing a note and was there for dancing and looking good, whereas everyone saw the four LM girls singing their hearts out weak after week on the XF.
  • Options
    rob_knightrob_knight Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're just another pile of manufactured tat!