Options

Tom Daley reveals he is in gay relationship: 'I couldn't be happier'

Comments

• Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    I should imagine that you are straight, otherwise you would know just what a brave step Tom has taken.

But its not brave though is it.....he says hes not gay but is in a gay relationship !!
    He reminds me of a comedy sketch where a creepy camp TV presenter tries to seduce a man who says that the didn't know the present was gay to which the presenter replies " me, I'm not gay I just sleep with men "

Hes perpetuating the its ok to be Bi but not gay stance....
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where has he actually said he's not gay ?

because all i can see is him saying he's in a relationship with a guy ..
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Worst example of the use of the word brave in a sentence ever!

I mean big deal, someone who is so clearly gay finally admits it to the astonishment of absolutely nobody anywhere. Still, nice bit of publicity for someone who's been out the limelight for a while and does nothing more than dive into water for a living.

Yes, that might apply if we lived in the narrow, oblivious world where you must live.

As long as we live in a world where being gay is news worthy, and includes countries which continue - in 2013 - to pass draconian and barbaric laws penalising gay people, a world where gay people continue to be physically attacked and murdered, all because of who they happen to be attracted to, then yes, it is a brave decision since it opens Tom up to the disgusting prejudice that is still tragically rampant as far as gay people are concerned.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should imagine that you are straight, otherwise you would know just what a brave step Tom has taken.

Ascribing bravery to a person's actions is a matter of opinion and depends on context. Yes, out of the closet homosexuals may know what coming out was like for them, but they have no more idea what it's like to be Tom than anyone else.

On the broad face of it, is Tom Daley, well-loved rich Olympic athlete and showbusiness personality with a supportive family, and a huge gay fanbase coming out braver than say, a 17 year old kid in conservative Alabama with a militant father?

The odds were always, from what I can see, that Tom would be by and large accepted for coming out. I'm sure there'll be a few trolls or hecklers, but I'm sure there already was anyway as with every other famous person. As a career move its likely to boost his fame too. Add to that the fact that a clear majority of people (online at least) already presumed he was gay, and the risk seems slight. I can see why people would find 'brave' a bit of an overstatement if they reserve the word for people who fight terrible odds, risk their lives for others, face up to crushing oppression or battle terminal illness.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    you do crack me up

thanks for a good belly laugh made my day

You are the only one that is laughing. Pathetic! :mad:
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there is a debate as to whether the etymology of a word can make it unacceptable even after it's usage has become common. some people will maintain that hundreds of years and when it's original meaning has been lost to history it's still not acceptable.

i am not one of those people. if my gran refers to someone of mixed race as half cast i'm not going to explain that if you look at the derivation it's not pleasant because she means it as she means it. and i don't think there is another accepted term for the hole in the end of your penis.

you've got to look at intent and i really don't care if anyone who isn't me or someone i want to sleep with is gay, straight or anywhere in between. and as such will continue to use the word straight regardless. it's history is not my history.

Glad to hear it. It just amuses me that the word "straight" when used to describe hetrosexuals is acceptable but not the word "bent" when describing homosexuals. Isn`t it wonderful living in these enlightened times. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    So you judge me as a failed human being from one post in a forum for speaking nothing more than the literal truth about a Z lister informing people, via the media, something which everybody already knew and cared little about?

No, not everybody, just small minded bigots who don't care about anyone or anything except their own sad little lives. :mad:
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not everybody, just small minded bigots who don't care about anything except their own sad little lives. :mad:

MEEEEOOOOWWWW !!!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    But its not brave though is it.....he says hes not gay but is in a gay relationship !!
    He reminds me of a comedy sketch where a creepy camp TV presenter tries to seduce a man who says that the didn't know the present was gay to which the presenter replies " me, I'm not gay I just sleep with men "

Hes perpetuating the its ok to be Bi but not gay stance....

He's 19 for Christs sake, I certainly didn't know what I was at that age.

But I guess that you can't argue with a closed mind. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

But I guess that you can't argue with a closed mind. :confused:

My mind is very very open thanks .

Why not be brave enough to say the words "Im Gay " instead of the convoluted and painful statement of ".....being in a relationship with a man " but I still fancy girls ..."

I find the annoucement a cynical ploy to semi - come out and keep his female fanbase . If so its really offensive to the gay community . I've been slated on here for stating this which i find very odd .

If you're gonna say some at least be honest about it .
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member

Apparently people have gossiped about his sexuality from when he was 15-16, and he should've come out "years ago" as someone said on Twitter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When's his new show out?

January.. Don't worry I wondered too when i clicked the article
  • Options
    Forum Member
    where has he actually said he's not gay ?

because all i can see is him saying he's in a relationship with a guy ..

By not saying hes gay and insisting hes still fancies girls (lol) hes implying that hes not Gay but Bi which i personally fell is not the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mind is very very open thanks .

Why not be brave enough to say the words "Im Gay " instead of the convoluted and painful statement of ".....being in a relationship with a man " but I still fancy girls ..."

I find the annoucement a cynical ploy to semi - come out and keep his female fanbase . If so its really offensive to the gay community . I've been slated on here for stating this which i find very odd .

If you're gonna say some at least be honest about it .

You seem to live in a delusional fantasy world where bi-sexuals don't exist and celebrity genitalia is linked to your psychic meta-world brain along with any visual stimuli they come across, giving you full and infallible knowledge of their lusts, loves and desires. What's the weather like there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apparently people have gossiped about his sexuality from when he was 15-16, and he should've come out "years ago" as someone said on Twitter.

Who the hell are you to dictate when he should have come out? :mad:

Just how many kids of 15-16 know what they are at that age? I bloody well didn't. If you can't understand that then I pity you.

At least he has come out, and with all the trolls and bigots around, especially on this board, that takes courage.

Now lets see if any footballer has the guts to do the same. I won't hold my breath.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By not saying hes gay and insisting hes still fancies girls (lol) hes implying that hes not Gay but Bi which i personally fell is not the case.

why the "lol" ?

anyway, again, where has he "insisted he still fancies girls" ??

he's been in relationships with girls, that much is common knowledge, but at his age, as many have said, it's probably more because he's still coming to terms with his sexuality and certainly not because he wants to be known as "bi".

Do (some of) the good members of DS wish him to burst out of a box and shout "I'm Gaaaaaayyyy!!!" while giving his best jazz hands ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who the hell are you to dictate when he should have come out? :mad:

Just how many kids of 15-16 know what they are at that age? I bloody well didn't. If you can't understand that then I pity you.

At least he has come out, and with all the trolls and bigots around, especially on this board, that takes courage.

Now lets see if any footballer has the guts to do the same. I won't hold my breath.:rolleyes:

I just want to point out, that those weren't my opinions, but it has been gossiped even on this forum, but every other social media site, if he was gay or not, for a couple of years. To me that is disgusting, he was/is a teenage boy, he should be allowed to grow to know himself first without having the media on his neck about being gay/not gay. And all this because he is good at a sport, thus in the spotlight.

And someone I followed on Twitter commented how "everyone already knew he was gay, he should have come out ages ago". Needless to say I unfollowed them.

I just had to point that out to avoid confusion.
  • Options
    Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^Instead of screaming at FingersandToes least read what she's written. She did not state that Tom should have come out ages ago, but that people on twitter are saying so.

Also you say she shouldn't dictate when a person comes out but aren't you doing the same re: rolleye smilie at the thought of footballers not coming out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do (some of) the good members of DS wish him to burst out of a box and shout "I'm Gaaaaaayyyy!!!" while giving his best jazz hands ?

For Gods sake don't let ITV see this or Celebrity Flamboyant Glitterball Gay-Off (with Antony Cotton) will be commissioned in a heartbeat.

What I find most perplexing about this whole thing (other than much of the gay community's ongoing sneering/denial of bi-sexuals- trans people seem to get it a lot too, I notice) is that not dealing in absolutes is treat as completely unacceptable. Its not enough to say 'as of right now I am in a committed relationship with a man' with the implication being that should this relationship sadly end, he may have either boyfriends or girlfriends in future. No, it seems that 'coming out' can't be fully celebrated unless, rather than a commitment to his current partner and the decision of not publicly hiding his love for him, it must be an entire and definite lifelong woman embargo. Its infantile. Maybe if he spraypaints 'I hate fannies, willies 4eva' on a wall, and posts it on instagram some people will be a little happier.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Or maybe he still fancies girls. It is his life, and only he knows how he feels. As of now he is saying, that he is in a relationship with a guy, but fancies girls. How about just accepting it as he says, and letting it be. Why the need to argue with what he says about his life and his feelings?

Or maybe he is gay, and is trying to still somewhat cover it. How about we let him even do that, and let him come out or even not come out as he wishes.

He most likely did make this statement, because he wanted to go out on dates with his boyfriend, and not be hounded by the paparazzi to get first shots of them. Or maybe the press already had a story about him, and he had no other choice but to issue an statement.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Or he could just be pansexual?
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not everybody, just small minded bigots who don't care about anyone or anything except their own sad little lives. :mad:

And you know me well enough to come to that conclusion do you? Okay then!

Still, it was all done for publicity reasons and nothing more, the timing of which is perfect because, as a post above states, the new series of his tacky Splash show starts January, what a coincidence.
  • Options
    Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pansexual ^ Something to do with goats?
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Pansexual ^ Something to do with goats?

I hope I have the definition right :o I thought it means that you don't have a preference but you are happy with the one regardless of gender?