Options

Rik Mayall dead

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep thanks to a kind DS user for pointing it out I was easy to find the youtube video.

Im hoping Rik gets the same treatment with a hour documentary tribute. He deserves it.

I'm sure he will. I read elsewhere that something was being planned. I do think the BBC were a bit out of step with the viewers on this, however. There obituary seemed to suggest that he spent his entire career shouting. Not true.
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Nice of the Beeb to parachute a couple of shows into the schedule yesterday and then to not put them on the iPlayer.

Piece on Newsnight in case anyone missed it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b046nd2n/newsnight-09062014

the link above says that ep is no longer available?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, thanks BBC. I missed the unscheduled shows and was relying on iPlayer to catch up with them. I wouldn't mind betting that they're planning on capitalising on this by re-promoting a boxed set of Bottom with added extras.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think "tribute shows", like obituaries, may exist in skeleton form for celebs who are old or ill. Ready to have the finishing touches added and updated on demise. But not for people who die unexpectedly before their time, like Rik. I'd rather wait for a considered tribute than get a rush job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "tribute shows", like obituaries, may exist in skeleton form for celebs who are old or ill. Ready to have the finishing touches added and updated on demise. But not for people who die unexpectedly before their time, like Rik. I'd rather wait for a considered tribute than get a rush job.
    Me too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the link above says that ep is no longer available?

Youtube it then.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    when are ITV showing these?
    Sunday
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people so shocked when celebs die suddenly. We ALL die, get over it!
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »

True, and you might be next.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Celeb deaths don't bother me. I didn't know them. I might be a bit miffed if they were currently in a show I liked.
    Mayall was in Man Down and was supposed to have a bigger role in the second series but obviously now the plot will have to be changed.

I think some are shocked becuase he was 56. Apart from his accident a while back there didn't seem to be any indication that he was ill.

If a family member or friend suddenly died at 56 you would probably be shocked.

If they died at 95 then you wouldn't be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    First time I've ever seen Bottom....I think I might have slightly weed, or at least SHOULD have....not laughed so hard for so long....please show them all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Celeb deaths don't bother me. I didn't know them. I might be a bit miffed if they were currently in a show I liked.
    Mayall was in Man Down and was supposed to have a bigger role in the second series but obviously now the plot will have to be changed.

I think some are shocked becuase he was 56. Apart from his accident a while back there didn't seem to be any indication that he was ill.

If a family member or friend suddenly died at 56 you would probably be shocked.

If they died at 95 then you wouldn't be.

No but its still upsetting.

I dont care what that guy says I had alot of love & respect for Rik so no I wont just get over it. The shows he was in I fondly remembered as a child growing up & yes I have found it upsetting that he has passed away.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but its still upsetting.

I dont care what that guy says I had alot of love & respect for Rik so no I wont just get over it. The shows he was in I fondly remembered as a child growing up & yes I have found it upsetting that he has passed away.

I agree. Certain people catch a moment and make an impression on an entire generation. Such as it was with Rick with The Young Ones-so very different to what had come before in sit-coms. The very fact that Rik has passed away is a marker in time and will make a whole load of people take notice and reminisce at past times. That's the power of tv and broadcasting in general.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I agree. Certain people catch a moment and make an impression on an entire generation. Such as it was with Rick with The Young Ones-so very different to what had come before in sit-coms. The very fact that Rik has passed away is a marker in time and will make a whole load of people take notice and reminisce at past times. That's the power of tv and broadcasting in general.

...and take stock of their own mortality.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rik Mayall's fans have been asked for their "thoughts and prayers" on Thursday when his family will hold his funeral.

The comedian's widow Barbara said: "Knowing the swell of love you all share with us we would like to let you, the fans, know that we will be having a private family funeral for Rik, as I am sure you will understand.

"We will be burying him at 2pm on Thursday June 19 if you would like to join us in thoughts and prayer at this time.

"Thank you again for all your love and support to all our family, it brings great strength."

A memorial service for the star, who died last week aged 56, is expected to be held in September.

http://news.sky.com/story/1284196/rik-mayalls-family-requests-funeral-prayers
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    People are more shocked at the sudden deaths of people in their 50s (Rik Mayall, Bob Crow) than people in their 20s (Peaches Geldof, Amy Winehouse).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rik Mayall's fans have been asked for their "thoughts and prayers" on Thursday when his family will hold his funeral.

The comedian's widow Barbara said: "Knowing the swell of love you all share with us we would like to let you, the fans, know that we will be having a private family funeral for Rik, as I am sure you will understand.

"We will be burying him at 2pm on Thursday June 19 if you would like to join us in thoughts and prayer at this time.

"Thank you again for all your love and support to all our family, it brings great strength."

A memorial service for the star, who died last week aged 56, is expected to be held in September.

http://news.sky.com/story/1284196/rik-mayalls-family-requests-funeral-prayers

That is really nice of her. This month has been a terrible month of comedy fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is really nice of her. This month has been a terrible month of comedy fans.
    I think she has handled all of this with immense dignity. All the way along she has found a way of maintaining the family's privacy but still involving the public.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »

The clue's in the question, I've bolded it so perhaps you can work it out for yourself. Also, perhaps there was extra shock because he was relatively young.

More to the point, why are people so rude about other people having personal reactions to things like someone who entertained them dying? We ALL have personal feelings, get over it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    People are more shocked at the sudden deaths of people in their 50s (Rik Mayall, Bob Crow) than people in their 20s (Peaches Geldof, Amy Winehouse).

Are they?

Statistics that support that?
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BBC does have a whole unit devoted to writing/recording obits and they have one for anyone in the public eye. So I'd be surprised if they didn't have an obit package for him.
    Maybe he wasn't considered important enough to do a long one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm usually not affected by celebrity deaths but this one genuinely saddened me. I watched Drop Dead Fred, Guest House Paradiso and Bottom dozens of times throughout my childhood and I liked Rik in everything he did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    The BBC does have a whole unit devoted to writing/recording obits and they have one for anyone in the public eye. So I'd be surprised if they didn't have an obit package for him.
    Maybe he wasn't considered important enough to do a long one.

An obit package is not the same thing as a proper tribute programme. There definitely will be one, but give it time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    More to the point, why are people so rude about other people having personal reactions to things like someone who entertained them dying? We ALL have personal feelings, get over it!

Because some people are just nasty and horrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because some people are just nasty and horrible.

Yes, that's true. I am genuinely sad about this and I resent people saying I shouldn't be or who make patronising remarks about Diana syndrome.Some deaths just resonate, that's all.