Options

Rubbish seaside resorts

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love Scarborough when I was a child.

What's it like now?
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BENIDORM.

Oh jeez.
    It's not too bad out of season though - when the drunken yobs are vomiting back in England again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Todemesne wrote: »
    I used to love going to Dreamland as a kid in the 70s. Don't know when you last visited but the whole site has been cleared, apart from the Scenic Railway which is a listed structure.

Dreamland

Actually that's an old picture. A developer wanted to build housing on the site and the old Scenic Railway mysteriously caught fire. :rolleyes:

Scenic Railway on fire

I went years ago, sometime in the early 00s. It must have been on it's way out even then because most of it didn't seem to be in operation apart from a couple of rides and it looked very grim even though it wasn't off-season or anything.

I think I remember the Scenic Railway fire. Didn't it make the news at the time?
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    semiminted wrote: »
    oh! :o

hope my description was ok

the harbour chip bar is one of the best.....he closes for about 5 months out of season !!

thats what i mean about the place tho', how do you support yourself and family on that ?

Erm... I don't, I'm 15 :D I need to learn how to word post better :p

There are plenty of jobs in the area - restaurants continue to thrive through the winter, if not as much as in the holidays, purely because the locals love eating out when there are no tourists around. As well as this there are many council jobs, lots of shops that do get used and we have plenty of supermarkets etc - there is a Co-Op, Iceland, Factory Shop, Spar in the town, and a Tesco within half an hour one way, and a Somerfields the same distance the other way. It does sound hard, but everyone seems to do it alright :) I won't really find out properly how they do it - it doesn't apply to us, as my parents are both unable to work and do community things instead, and I hope to leave the area as soon as I'm old enough :)
  • Options
    ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhyl really does need to be seen to be believed. Im sure the term 'shithole' was coined specifically for Rhyl. Parts of the sea front are like some third world ghetto. Burned out guest houses without rooves or windows, alcholics sat on the beach swigging cans of stealla at 10am. Chavy ammusment arcades that haven't been mordenised sinces about 1984.... I could go on.

The shopping part is full of junk shops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Yarmouth

Clacton

Hunstanton is ok though, from what I remember
  • Options
    Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing there?? Dreamland? The Arcades?? Sheesh, there's just no pleasing some folk. ;)

I grew up there and yes it is a bit of a dump, but its like lots o f places, it has its nice parts beyond the beach where everyone goes on a day out. The beach is excellent by the way.

rive a few miles round the coastal road and there are loads of nice bays and coves, not to mention some footballer style mock tudor mansions. :)

Broadstairs is lovely.