Options

Sarah Silverman Heckled

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    A couple of friends were at the show. They said she definately wasn't booed at anytime and she did 50 minutes, not the reported 40. Material was funny (too their ears anyway), it's just that set was way too short. She looked like she was forced to do an 'encore' to stop people demanding their money back, but it was pretty awful. No jokes and just embarrassing all round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    watch the you tube clip of her and matt damon...i wet myself peeing...i think she rocks...she makes me laugh out loud...comedy is sooo subjective...we all just like what we like....and ms silverman makes me chortle!!

ps:i concur about jimmy carrs laugh....wtf??
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Yes, people may have laughed, but even many of those who did have pointed out on forums (here, Chortle.co.uk, TimeOut) that it was old material...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I think she's over-rated. I saw her on Monk and Larry Sanders etc, then there was a big push when her recent comedy show was shown over here, but I only lasted 10 mins watching it. She has talent, but gets monotonous after a while. She's not as good as she thinks she is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was only really heckled once or twice. The main problem with the show was everything bar her set.

Exactly right. I was there too, and her set went down brilliantly. The audience was laughing loudly and frequently, and she even commented on how well it seemed to be going. The problem isn't what she did (ala the completely inaccurate and poorly written DS article) but the fact she didn't do enough of it.

People had a problem because they wanted more of her!!

She did short change fans, and that was out of order, but lets get the story straight - she wasn't booed of stage at all, and what she did was brilliant. She just didn't do enough. That said, the likes of the vastly inferior Gervais churns out hour long sets frequently... it's not unheard of. That said, he (rightly) doesn't charge her prices either.

It was a great shame that she misjudged the length then treated the audience with disdain during the 'encore'. A very great shame. Also that her material wasn't fresher. Still, I'm glad I went and can say I've seen somebody I still like and admire in the increasingly wearisome comedy circuit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clip of her on youtube, she didn't go down as badly as the papers are leading people to believe.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuXFRFaHsQ
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    When your set is under an hour, there's no real support act, and you open with a promotional trailer for your television show and you charge 50 notes for the privilege, there really is NO EXCUSE.

<Sesame Street>
    "Tonight's show was brought to you by the words Cynical, Exploitation and Self-Publicist"
    </Sesame Street>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    When your set is under an hour, there's no real support act, and you open with a promotional trailer for your television show and you charge 50 notes for the privilege, there really is NO EXCUSE.

<Sesame Street>
    "Tonight's show was brought to you by the words Cynical, Exploitation and Self-Publicist"
    </Sesame Street>

There was no support act because he was sick and had to cancel.

What makes her a "Self-Publicist"? She put on a show that some liked and some didn't and suddenly she is a "Self-Publicist"?!
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a funny, talented woman. 'Jesus Is Magic' is superb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she's f**king Matt Damon so it's allowed :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friends who went to the show (I babysat) said the show was delayed by technical problems so they were standing waiting for several hours. They had assumed there would be a support act, but it was just 50 minutes of Sarah. The encore was apparently just an ad-hoc question and answer. My friends' group paid close to £200 in all for tickets. The one real fan amongst them loved it but it sounds a rip-off to me as she is hardly a big enough name in the UK to justify such ticket prices. My friends did say that a heckler was booed for saying something rude about the comedienne. No mention of any will towards her in general though.
  • Options
    soapmaniasoapmania Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I don't like the woman to be honest, vile comes to mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soapmania wrote: »
    I don't like the woman to be honest, vile comes to mind.

It seems to be the only insult/word that comes to mind on DS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She reminds me of Rita Rudner but just not funny
  • Options
    acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    I saw the Matt damon video on the Jonathan Ross show. I fail to see how it could be described as 'Funny'- It Just consisted of using the word f#cking.

Do not see how anyone considers her humourous, she seems to find swearing comical.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find the Matt Damon thing funny, but this made me snicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgHHX9R4Qtk&feature=related
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acid rain wrote: »
    I saw the Matt damon video on the Jonathan Ross show. I fail to see how it could be described as 'Funny'- It Just consisted of using the word f#cking.

Do not see how anyone considers her humourous, she seems to find swearing comical.

She doesn't swear that much.

I think the ****ing Matt Damon video is funny if you understand the backstory. It was her boyfriend's birthday present based on a running joke on his show. Brief explanation in the clip below and Jimmy (her boyfriend)'s response video (staring Ben Affleck and featuring load of other celebs).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j_pFTAY7MF8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She must be the most over hyped comedian around at the moment. I remember that awful performance she gave at the 2006 Secret Policman's Ball

That was painful to watch.

I had never heard the sound of tumbleweed in real life before.

Jokes about AIDS? Oooh. You are only about 20 years late with those.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I adore Sarah Silverman. She's not as funny as Bill Hicks or Richard Lewis, but she's a funny funny girl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Can't stand the whiny bitch! If she gave anything like the performance she did on TSPB 2006 then no surprise there. Got any NEW material? or some funny stuff? She's like a female Peter Kay - turning into a one joke pony. It wasn't funny the FIRST time we heard it, it certainly isn't any funnier the 576th time!!

Didn't she play Ned's whiny bitch of a girlfriend in the film "School of Rock"? Wow, what natural casting eh??
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    She is definitely not as funny as Bill Hicks, booklover!! never will be.

There are some things I laugh at, but not a lot, unlike with some lesser known comedians out there.
  • Options
    LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    I like her, she seems like a cool person and she is f*cking Matt Damon! :D