2»

Comments

• Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    A subscription channel for repeats.
    What a brilliant idea.
    Must cancel VM and join Sky.

As far as I understand it, it is only repeats for a short period and after that it will have new dramas on it.
  • Options
    LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    is it really worth getting sky for itv though? All they show are really bad dramas and movies form 10 years ago?
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »
    As far as I understand it, it is only repeats for a short period and after that it will have new dramas on it.

finally im not going mad! This is why im slightly annoyed.
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finally im not going mad! This is why im slightly annoyed.

Sky own a percentage of ITV so they get exclusive offers the only reason they do it is to lure Virgin and BT customers, the fact that it probably costs them more money in lost advertising than they make in subscriptions should tell you all you need to know about sky's businesses practises.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannylau wrote: »
    Sky own a percentage of ITV so they get exclusive offers the only reason they do it is to lure Virgin and BT customers, the fact that it probably costs them more money in lost advertising than they make in subscriptions should tell you all you need to know about sky's businesses practises.
    You may want to look at Sky's financials ;-)

Platform subscriptions dwarf their advertising revenue , adding an exclusive channel to another platform still isn't going to bring the two figures close for Sky it's all about subscriptions.
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may want to look at Sky's financials ;-)

Platform subscriptions dwarf their advertising revenue , adding an exclusive channel to another platform still isn't going to bring the two figures close for Sky it's all about subscriptions.

They were paying sky subscriptions when they were on Virgin or BT
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it really worth getting sky for itv though? All they show are really bad dramas and movies form 10 years ago?

If VM customers want it that badly it's going to be on NowTV anyway, they could just get NowTV for £4.99p/m and watch it that way.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannylau wrote: »
    They were paying sky subscriptions when they were on Virgin or BT
    Sky make far more money from retail subscriptions over wholesale subscriptions plus they have a direct relationship with the customer allowing them to upsell.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I've seen the listings, tuned into the test broadcast on satellite, and it's just a few programmes that would otherwise have been on ITV3 and that's it! The chance to show Coronation Street and Emmerdale classics not taken!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've seen the listings, tuned into the test broadcast on satellite, and it's just a few programmes that would otherwise have been on ITV3 and that's it! The chance to show Coronation Street and Emmerdale classics not taken!

Thats now.

My point was that it will eventually show exclusive new drama.

point is im not fussed about it but more the practice of it. taking away something that would normally be on itv1 is now on Encore. As its exclusive, you need sky / now tv.

for me, im ok as I have now TV, but still point is there.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I couldn't care less. I rarely watch ITV's so called dramas now, so an exclusive-to-Sky ITV Drama channel is no loss to me whatsoever. Even if they do eventually start showing some exclusive new content the vast bulk of the output will be repeats. The clue is in the branding: "ITV Encore".
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    ITV Encore will probably be closed down in the next 2 years. It actually looks like a completely pointless channel. I don't have faith in anything ITV do.
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats now.

My point was that it will eventually show exclusive new drama.

point is im not fussed about it but more the practice of it. taking away something that would normally be on itv1 is now on Encore. As its exclusive, you need sky / now tv.

for me, im ok as I have now TV, but still point is there.
    Although I find this period of exclusivity annoying, we must remember that it is only exclusive for 18 months. For 12 months of that time, it will just be another ITV3 and so we've probably seen it all before (I know I have - anything worth watching, that is).

Frankly, as long as we get any new dramas aired between the 12 and 18 month period on their catch up service when launched on Virgin Media, I won't be too fussed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    Although I find this period of exclusivity annoying, we must remember that it is only exclusive for 18 months. For 12 months of that time, it will just be another ITV3 and so we've probably seen it all before (I know I have - anything worth watching, that is).

Frankly, as long as we get any new dramas aired between the 12 and 18 month period on their catch up service when launched on Virgin Media, I won't be too fussed.

mainly the exclusivity that peeves me.

Principle an all

but yes i agree
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A subscription channel for repeats.
    What a brilliant idea.
    Must cancel VM and join Sky.

Worked for (UK) Gold for years.. In fact most of UKTV was repeats from the BBC (and Thames Television) archives.

These days Watch tends to buy in some US stuff but it's still mainly repeats.

Watching the stuff on ITV is bad enough, never mind having to suffer an Encore ;-)