phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go via Eurolines for cheapness
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    We go quite regularly to the ROI as the OH has family there and when we had kids used the ferry between Swansea and Cork. I have found it to be at the extremes; either calm as a whistle or OMG I'M GOING TO DIE, so I would be apprehensive about the ferry myself. Might depend on the route and what waters you are crossing though (I don't know the first thing about that stuff).

It's fairly obvious isn't it really. Avoid the winter months and the equinoxes, if you want a better chance of a smooth crossing.

And anyway, it depends on the type of waves. Big breakers and white crests, not good news. Swell, uncomfortable maybe, but not dangerous in general. A bit like going up and down in a lift, for the latter, rather than waves breaking over the bows. And again it depends on the direction of the waves. The safest way to meet waves is head on. Waves approaching from the side can be bad news. Waves coming from two different directions, i.e. a confused sea, can be highly dangerous, particularly if one set of waves is being caused by (very) strong winds. Most of the above is not normally an issue for a large ferry, but for a smaller boat, batten down the hatches.
    Hi all,

I am interested in going to Ireland this year & wondered what the best way of getting there is ?. I know that I can go by plane to Belfast from my local Airport, but the taxes there are ridiculously high at about £240 return, so would need to go to a different airport like London or Birmingham to get a budget airline. I was considering going by the Rail & Sail method, but have heard that the Irish Sea can be as rough as f***.

Are there any frequent travelers to Ireland here & if so what method do you use ?

Many Thanks

If the sea is too rough, then the ferries probably wouldn't be running anyway, for the relatively few times a year this is the case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Aer Lingus are usually cheap and not as bad as Ryan Air.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious isn't it really. Avoid the winter months and the equinoxes, if you want a better chance of a smooth crossing.

And anyway, it depends on the type of waves. Big breakers and white crests, not good news. Swell, uncomfortable maybe, but not dangerous in general. A bit like going up and down in a lift, for the latter, rather than waves breaking over the bows. And again it depends on the direction of the waves. The safest way to meet waves is head on. Waves approaching from the side can be bad news. Waves coming from two different directions, i.e. a confused sea, can be highly dangerous, particularly if one set of waves is being caused by (very) strong winds. Most of the above is not normally an issue for a large ferry, but for a smaller boat, batten down the hatches.

If the sea is too rough, then the ferries probably wouldn't be running anyway, for the relatively few times a year this is the case.

I agree, but unfortunately the late summer and autumn are common (Aug to Nov) due to certain dates that are important such as birthdays and anniversaries. So you can find you have little choice. It's not such a problem now as our youngest is nearly 2, but when they are younger and you need a travel cot and things like that, flight isn't necesarilly the most practical option.

I'll tell you what is uncomfortable, reasonably rough seas, the ferry having a technical problem and a helicopter having to come out to perform repairs. That happened once.

There have only been a couple of times when a crossing has been bad, but when they are bad, they certainly know how to unsettle you. Fortunately it's mostly not too bad.

Also; yes if the sea is really bad they won't cross; but the limit for that one is further than my comfort zone tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, but unfortunately the late summer and autumn are common (Aug to Nov) due to certain dates that are important such as birthdays and anniversaries. So you can find you have little choice. It's not such a problem now as our youngest is nearly 2, but when they are younger and you need a travel cot and things like that, flight isn't necesarilly the most practical option.

I'll tell you what is uncomfortable, reasonably rough seas, the ferry having a technical problem and a helicopter having to come out to perform repairs. That happened once.

There have only been a couple of times when a crossing has been bad, but when they are bad, they certainly know how to unsettle you. Fortunately it's mostly not too bad.

Also; yes if the sea is really bad they won't cross; but the limit for that one is further than my comfort zone tbh.

I take it you are prone to sea sickness, whereas I'm not particularly.

I remember going with a mate of mine at the time out to sea in Devon in a small boat and the waves were only 3-4 high at most and he was feeling ill because of it. I thought what's all the fuss about, as it's another day another dollar for me. So, we went back to port where it was calmer and thankfully he felt better. I can be out all day rocking from side to side, front to back in the waves and it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Maybe I've got nautical blood in me. I am a Pisces (joke).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it you are prone to sea sickness, whereas I'm not particularly.

I remember going with a mate of mine at the time out to sea in Devon in a small boat and the waves were only 3-4 high at most and he was feeling ill because of it. I thought what's all the fuss about, as it's another day another dollar for me. So, we went back to port where it was calmer and thankfully he felt better. I can be out all day rocking from side to side, front to back in the waves and it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Maybe I've got nautical blood in me. I am a Pisces (joke).

Sickness itself, not so much; I've never actually been sick but a lot of motion can make me feel a little queasy if I've eaten. If the boat is very "active" I tend to feel nervous. Even if it is completely safe, I really don't like the feel of a boat being thrown around (or feeling as though it is).

It's probably more a fear than a sickness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sickness itself, not so much; I've never actually been sick but a lot of motion can make me feel a little queasy if I've eaten. If the boat is very "active" I tend to feel nervous. Even if it is completely safe, I really don't like the feel of a boat being thrown around (or feeling as though it is).

It's probably more a fear than a sickness.

Could be.

Sometimes when you've been rocked about a lot on a boat you still feel the sensation when you get back on dry land, as in the land appears to move (in your mind), but it isn't, if you see what I mean. Something else, I've got used to. I was on boats even before I could walk. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Getting back to the original topic, I'd rather go to Ireland by boat than by plane, because I have an irrational fear of flying, as in what goes up, must come down and not always in a good way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be.

Sometimes when you've been rocked about a lot on a boat you still feel the sensation when you get back on dry land, as in the land appears to move (in your mind), but it isn't, if you see what I mean. Something else, I've got used to. I was on boats even before I could walk. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Getting back to the original topic, I'd rather go to Ireland by boat than by plane, because I have an irrational fear of flying, as in what goes up, must come down and not always in a good way.

Without derailing further; yes to the first part.

The flight comment... incidentally I do not like flying on smaller aircraft; like your typical Rynair flight. However I do not feel at all affected on a long haul flight on a large aircraft like a 747. I consider this to be arse over tit.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the informative replies everyone :). I think I will try Dublin for my first trip to Ireland and if I wish to visit other areas whilst over there, then they should be fairly easy to get to. As far as method of transport goes, I think that I will be sticking to flying as I really cannot stand coaches as I always get sick when traveling by road, yet have always been fine with flying. Also having looked at the prices of Eurolines, I couldn't believe that even tho the fares are from only £28, the itinerary is ridiculously long.

Leaving NORWICH Bus Station Departs: 12:45
    Norwich (Eaton) Departs: 12:49
    Thetford Departs: 13:30
    London Stratford Departs: 15:10

CHANGE COACH LONDON (Victoria Coach Station) Arrives: 16:00
    Embarkation Stops for service 871 Departure / arrival
    Leaving LONDON (Victoria Coach Station) Departs: 18:00
    London Golders Green Departs: 18:35
    Luton (Travelodge) Departs: 19:15
    Milton Keynes COACHWAY Departs: 19:45
    BIRMINGHAM (Coach Station) Departs: 22:00
    CHANGE COACH Holyhead Arrives: 01:30
    Embarkation Stops for service 871 Departure / arrival
    Leaving Holyhead Departs: 01:30
    Arrive Dublin, Ireland Arrives: 06:30

Getting the train to Birmingham is only £7.90 each way with my railcard and the flight from Birmingham to Dublin is under £100 return, so it would probably work out double the cost of Coach & Sail, but I would get there in the same day. I honestly don't believe in spending ages on a boat, where you can get there in a fraction of a time for a reasonable cost. I would fly from Norwich but those fares are just ridiculous at about £240. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I flew to Ireland this morning from Birmingham to Waterford with Flybe. Tomorrow I'm coming back from Shannon with Aer Lingus. I think each flight was under £100 per person.

I hired the car with Hertz and it worked out about fifty quid cheaper doing it on the phone than on the website. It was aprox £80 for 2 days for an Insignia pick up and drop off at different airports.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    That made me LOL :D

I've been to the ROI a few times and I'm flying with Ryanair for the first time in September when I go to Dublin for my 50th.I've heard all the horror stories about Ryanair but I'm not too worried.Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed :)

I have flown Ryanair a couple of times. Don't like them at all, prefer to use Aer Lingus, but when you have an emergency and need to get home to Dublin in a hurry, Ryanair are the cheapest. I have to say, though, that the seats seem really rammed in. I found it extremely uncomfortable, but as it's only a 45 minute flight, you are barely up in the air before you're landing. I wouldn't fancy a long flight with them though.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we're flying we normally go Aer Lingus. Several flights a day from Heathrow and not expensive at all, so I'm happy to recommend that. If we're taking the car it's the long drive up to Cairnryan for the ferry to Belfast, which is fine until you get past Dumfries and it turns into a twisty lochside single carriageway.

We don't tend to go to the South much though. If we did it would be Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, which is a much easier drive.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    If we're flying we normally go Aer Lingus. Several flights a day from Heathrow and not expensive at all, so I'm happy to recommend that. If we're taking the car it's the long drive up to Cairnryan for the ferry to Belfast, which is fine until you get past Dumfries and it turns into a twisty lochside single carriageway.

We don't tend to go to the South much though. If we did it would be Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, which is a much easier drive.

How long does it take to drive to Cairnryan from London?
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    How long does it take to drive to Cairnryan from London?
    It can be done in seven hours if you get out of London before the traffic builds up and don't stop other than for petrol, but we normally do it in eight and have a break at one of the service stations in Cheshire or Lancashire. The worst thing about the drive is that when you get to Scotland and think you're nearly there you've still got two hours to go, because of that single carriageway bit west of Dumfries. Always seems to be a quicker journey in the other direction.