Options

Things self-serve check-outs say

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I can't remember which shop but there's one that likes to shout "Call for help". I always think "You've done nothing but talk, why don't you call for bloody help?"
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    "Please wait. The assistant is coming."

No he isn't because the spotty little oik is too busy trying to chat up one of the other students who work there for beer money and he doesn't give a shit.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are so annoying then why do you lot use them?

i tend to avoid the things.

Thankfully I work in the back of the store now, but when I worked on the produce, which is next to the self scans, they use to annoy me.
  • Options
    OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    I'm half- expecting one to ask "are you John Connor?" one of these days. :D

Hee :D

Hold on... :o :eek:
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    If they are so annoying then why do you lot use them?

i tend to avoid the things.

Thankfully I work in the back of the store now, but when I worked on the produce, which is next to the self scans, they use to annoy me.

I don't use them very often anymore to be honest.

I only really used them when they first came out so I could have a go. :D
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in sainsburys; 'did you use any of your own bags today'? yes , press 9, and bingo 9 nectar points :D even tho i didnt use one bag hahaha
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    in sainsburys; 'did you use any of your own bags today'? yes , press 9, and bingo 9 nectar points :D even tho i didnt use one bag hahaha

That's a big flaw I see with these things offering out green points for own bag use.

When I go to Tesco it always asks if I have used my own. I hardly ever take my own, I very rarely use a bag anyway as I can carry most of what I buy to my car anyway. I can just put that I used 10 of my own bags and then I get 10 points without spending £10. If I did that enough times then I'd soon see my clubcard points doubled for nothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Welcome, please scan your first item

Approval needed

Please wait for assistance (usually checking item weight issue)

Insert cash or touch, pay with card

Insert cash or select payment type

Please fully insert your card in the reader, or swipe your card on the side of this monitor, if your card does not have a chip

Select cashback amount

Please remove your card from the reader

Please take your change, notes are dispensed below the scanner

Thank you for using the fast lane

I loved reading that in the woman's voice, made my day! :D

I hate it when it continues after the unexpected item with "Please remove this item before continuing". Where the hell am I meant to put it if I can't put it in the bagging area?!? Am I meant to carry it on my head whilst trying to scan other items??? :mad:
  • Options
    BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please rescan item.
  • Options
    SupersarahpSupersarahp Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please scan your next item or select 'look up item'.

Don't bloody rush me woman - I am doing it!!
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    try using 'em for first time

i put bag on floor... did not see the thing you're supposed to put it in

the bloody scan thing did not work, when i slid the items across

then i put card into wrong slot for payment

I had to have much human assistance, and it would been faster to que at checkout, the old fashioned way
  • Options
    ElectroflowerElectroflower Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I find self checkouts annoying but quite funny too. The Sainsburys one has such a patronising tone, especially when it says "did you use any of your own bags?" It sounds like it's talking to a naughty child. I always have to press "no" or "yes" quickly before it finishes that sentence, to stop it annoying me.
    I can't remember which shop but there's one that likes to shout "Call for help". I always think "You've done nothing but talk, why don't you call for bloody help?"

Yes, "call for help" always amuses me, it sounds so suddenly dramatic, as if it's expecting you to yell "HELP!!"
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    linnylou wrote: »
    I never hear that. I guess our Tesco non-express don't want to mislead customers.

'Please scan your Clubcard'
    "Clubcard accepted."

"Your green clubcard points will be printed on your receipt."
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Let me put it this way, monkeydave68. The T1000 series is the most reliable self-serve check-out ever made. No T1000 check-out has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.
    Good to see another Hal post!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Many's the time I've been informed I have an unauthorised item in the bagging area. It's a ****ing bag is usually my retort, though silently :D Then you finish scanning, hit finish and pay and the next millisecond you're being asked if you remembered to swipe your Nectar card. That one never fails to piss me off, I'm still looking for the stupid card. Then there's the snotty way it tells me to take my items as if I've wasted an hour farting about when it's been less than 30 seconds since I fed the money in! If it wasn't for the fact that there are never any queues for these machines which means I can get out of the blasted supermarket much more quickly, I'd never use them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I used to hate working at the checkout opposite the self service when I worked for Sainsburys. I would be reciting the entire monologue in my sleep after an 8 hr shift opposite those things.. Still it could be worse, after a 7hr shift in my current job I see postcodes in my sleep :confused:
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Good to see another Hal post!

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, John259. John259, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a T1000 series self-serve check-out computer.. UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA... PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE..
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please place the item in the bagging area. You have 20 seconds to comply.

Please place the item in the bagging area. You have 15 seconds to comply.

Please place the item in the bagging area. You have 10 seconds to comply.

Please place the item in the bagging area. You have 5 seconds to comply.

*bingbong* this is a staff announcement - clean up required at self checkouts
  • Options
    Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Welcome, please scan your first item,
    Approval needed,
    Please wait for assistance,
    Insert cash or touch 'pay with card',
    Insert cash or select payment type,
    Please fully insert your card in the reader, or swipe your card on the side of this monitor, if your card does not have a chip,
    Select cashback amount,
    Please remove your card from the reader,
    Please take your change, notes are dispensed below the scanner,
    Thank you for using the fast lane.

That sounds like the ASDA 'FastChecks'.

There is also the rarely heard 'Payment cancelled'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I'm afraid. I'm afraid, John259. John259, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a T1000 series self-serve check-out computer.. UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA... PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE..
    Just because I decided to buy a tandem... :)

PS Just off to check whether the dimensions of an iPad are in the ratio 1:4:9
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Blofeld wrote: »
    That's a big flaw I see with these things offering out green points for own bag use.

When I go to Tesco it always asks if I have used my own. I hardly ever take my own, I very rarely use a bag anyway as I can carry most of what I buy to my car anyway. I can just put that I used 10 of my own bags and then I get 10 points without spending £10. If I did that enough times then I'd soon see my clubcard points doubled for nothing.

In our tesco I'm sure the most you can put in is 3. Well you can put more in but it asks the assistant to check.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odie8391 wrote: »
    I loved reading that in the woman's voice, made my day! :D

I hate it when it continues after the unexpected item with "Please remove this item before continuing". Where the hell am I meant to put it if I can't put it in the bagging area?!? Am I meant to carry it on my head whilst trying to scan other items??? :mad:
    That sounds like the ASDA 'FastChecks'.

There is also the rarely heard 'Payment cancelled'.

Forgot those two.

Yes, it is ASDA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #Daisy Daisy give me your answer dooo#
    "Dave, what are you doing dave."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #Daisy Daisy give me your answer dooo#
    "Dave, what are you doing dave."
    Hmmm, I think we might have trouble getting back into the ship err no I mean shop as the doors could have been locked while we were outside. Can self-service checkouts lipread?
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I think we might have trouble getting back into the ship err no I mean shop as the doors could have been locked while we were outside. Can self-service checkouts lipread?

This mission statement is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it John259.