Options

The Emmerdale Discussion (Spoilers) (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    Bishop GeorgeBishop George Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    There are always other things going on at the same time as the Dingle Storylines though, you make it sound like it used to be the Dingle show which is a total misrepresentation. Also the examples you give were spread over three years and at least none of them dragged on for an entire year.
  • Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    The longest running but not the biggest, the Wyldes have been relegated in the pecking order behind the Cain and Charity return, the bigamy storyline started the year but has been placed on the back burner while the other stories have taken precedence. The Bartons have not been the main protaginists in a story as yet neither have the Sharma's they have been involved to a high level but they have not been the main focus
    I guess everyone sees things differently :)

My main point remains - the comedy element's been reduced greatly in favour of character-led drama. I think the difference is pretty clear. I'm loving Emmerdale now, and I'm glad the Anita Turner style's been dropped. I've seen quite a few FMs on DS say how they've returned to watch Emmy again because of the improvement. That's great news for the show and justifies all the changes made.
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I guess everyone sees things differently :)

My main point remains - the comedy element's been reduced greatly in favour of character-led drama. I think the difference is pretty clear. I'm loving Emmerdale now, and I'm glad the Anita Turner style's been dropped. I've seen quite a few FMs on DS say how they've returned to watch Emmy again because of the improvement. That's great news for the show and justifies all the changes made.

I do agree that the ridiculous comedic storylines, like Doug and Bonnie and the STD should be relegated to history. That storyline could have been so much more hard hitting and apt if treated as seriously as possible. Safe sex is is esential no matter what age! I also agree that the Val, Pollard scenes are very trying.

However comedy has been a big part of emmerdale for the thirty odd years it has been on. The trick that the writers and producers need to learn is how to spread this in even proportions around the storylines and the cast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    However comedy has been a big part of emmerdale for the thirty odd years it has been on. The trick that the writers and producers need to learn is how to spread this in even proportions around the storylines and the cast.
    I agree :) I'm not anti-comedy because it's a great antedote to some of the heavier storylines. The more grotesque aspects of it seem to be gone now though. Things like the STD storyline you mentioned and Gennie trashing the vets; hopefully there'll be nothing as awful as those again.
  • Options
    SeverianSeverian Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Over the years, there have been "Lords of the Manor" at Emmerdale, but none that I can remember (accepting that I could be accused of looking through rose-coloured glasses) are so out of place as the Wyldes. They reminds me of the "Wooden Tops" (google 'em if you can't, or won't, remember them - clue "Watch with Mother" - Spotty Dog anyone ?)

There is a seasonal appropriateness to Nathan though - he'd be a good, baby-faced Panto villain. Maisie is the only Wylde character with any mileage (I can only presume she was one of those swapped at birth babies.)

As for the Dingles - I think Eli is a character of true pathos. Don't want to turn this into a class war, but I'd prefer Dingledale to Wyldale any day.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Severian wrote: »
    Over the years, there have been "Lords of the Manor" at Emmerdale, but none that I can remember are so out of place as the Wyldes.
    Define - "out of place" :confused:
    As in characters to be placed in "the big house"
    or
    Actors not carrying their roles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As in:

don't interact with anything approaching human warmth with the other characters i.e cardboard cut-out toffs (perhaps I didn't I make that clear enough with the Wooden Tops reference ?)

I'd like to be very rich too, but I wouldn't behave as the Wyldes have (for instance I would preface a direct question with "please...)

As for actors not carrying their roles - that's something I will not get drawn into.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually wondering if more of the long-termers will leave.

Get rid of that awful chap who dresses up as a vicar every so often:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

How dare you! I dress up as a bishop!! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Get rid of that awful chap who dresses up as a vicar every so often

Are you certain it was a chap SULLA ? It sounds like the kind of thing an actress might get up to in the presence of a bishop. Ooops, am I on the right forum ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I do agree that the ridiculous comedic storylines, like Doug and Bonnie and the STD should be relegated to history. That storyline could have been so much more hard hitting and apt if treated as seriously as possible. Safe sex is is esential no matter what age! I also agree that the Val, Pollard scenes are very trying.

I appreciate your comments, but everyone needs to let their hair down and be a bit silly at times, including soaps.
    You are correct about the thirty years of comedy and that is a huge part of Emmerdale's success and longevity coupled with occasional references to past characters and occurrences. It is what keeps the viewers loyal and involved as part of the 'Emmerdale family'. I don't think any other soap does that apart from the rare mention of Uncle Albert in Coronation Street.

To address your point about spreading the comedy or seriousness around (if I have properly interpreted that) there are characters that will always be predominantly serious and those that will always lift the programme a bit and sometimes these do not and can not cross.

People want to be entertained by tea time viewing, not subjected to heavy meaningful plots and feedback would suggest that Emmerdale mostly gets it right.. Nobody can be perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How dare you! I dress up as a bishop!! :mad:

I have seen nothing to make me believe that you are not a real bishop but you must be stricter and get rid of the simpering twit:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    For me Tray has been the star of the year, closely followed by Kateh ( for different reasons)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still think my idea of Ashley getting the boot is a winner. The actor's excellent and I think he'd be great as an embittered ex-vicar. I think Bishop George should be dumped too, he seems like an extra in a bad 70s sitcom. A vicar and bishop who are more believable would improve one more part of Emmy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I agree that Tray can come across as a bit of a cartoon vicar, with his soft voice and caring manner, but vicars really are like that in my experience.

As for Bishop George, he is also a star, not only for his performances in the show , but sharing his profound thoughts on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have seen nothing to make me believe that you are not a real bishop but you must be stricter and get rid of the simpering twit:mad:

I would love to get rid of the simpering twit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    I agree that Tray can come across as a bit of a cartoon vicar, with his soft voice and caring manner, but vicars really are like that in my experience.
    I agree with SULLA, Ashley's past his sell-by date. But the actor's far better than the character and a defrocked and bitter Ashley would really be great IMO :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the victimisation of my staff is disgusting on here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would write more, but I have more important things going on in my life.

LOL Oh Georgie baby.

Surely someone is going to review the decade in Emmerdale next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great idea :) With Emmerdale, though its past interests me, I've always been more fond of the present. The changes wrought throughout this year have relieved me, because at times I thought the future for Emmerdale looked bleak. For one show during the Anita Turner reign the ratings dropped to four million! Now consistency's returned again, I'm hoping the ratings may even increase more :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL Oh Georgie baby.

I would do, but I just had to sack my sermon writer, kept writing the same thing every week, my poor flock was getting very bored.
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I appreciate your comments, but everyone needs to let their hair down and be a bit silly at times, including soaps.
    You are correct about the thirty years of comedy and that is a huge part of Emmerdale's success and longevity coupled with occasional references to past characters and occurrences. It is what keeps the viewers loyal and involved as part of the 'Emmerdale family'. I don't think any other soap does that apart from the rare mention of Uncle Albert in Coronation Street.

To address your point about spreading the comedy or seriousness around (if I have properly interpreted that) there are characters that will always be predominantly serious and those that will always lift the programme a bit and sometimes these do not and can not cross.

People want to be entertained by tea time viewing, not subjected to heavy meaningful plots and feedback would suggest that Emmerdale mostly gets it right.. Nobody can be perfect.

I agree completely,
    I know I have been watching Emmerdale all these years because I am entertained. I dont need to be hit with doom laden drama all the time, if I wanted that I would watch EE. :D:D:D:D

I do think Emmerdale gets the balance right on most occasions, and when they dont as a loyal viewer I wil say that I dont enjoy what I am seeing. If I found it really bad for an extended period, rather than criticise the show in an unending diatribe I would no longer be a viewer. :D:D Happily that has not happened and I have not had to make this choice :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Most vicars tend to be Christians:)
    I would love to get rid of the simpering twit.
    Just do it George. Don't let me down:mad:
    But the actor's far better than the character and a defrocked and bitter Ashley would really be great IMO :)
    Having to join the real world and actually earn his wages would be a big culture shock for Tray and I agree with you:)
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having to join the real world and actually earn his wages would be a big culture shock for Tray and I agree with you:)

Suggestions for a new job then :confused: - not much going in t'village right now.

Waiter in the new B&B restaurant perhaps :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just do it George. Don't let me down:mad:
    I think we might have our wires crossed.
This discussion has been closed.